No northern team makes the tourney this year

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

CB00
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:04 pm

No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by CB00 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:18 am

With Andover the favorite in 7AA and STMA showing they have a shot at 8AA, is there a real chance that no northern team makes the tournament this year?

Why not a northern section:
Cloquet
DE
Rapids
Bemidji
Moorhead
Roseau
Brainerd
Marshall
Rock Ridge?
Hermantown?

Joe2015
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by Joe2015 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:23 am

CB00 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:18 am
With Andover the favorite in 7AA and STMA showing they have a shot at 8AA, is there a real chance that no northern team makes the tournament this year?

Why not a northern section:
Cloquet
DE
Rapids
Bemidji
Moorhead
Roseau
Brainerd
Marshall
Rock Ridge?
Hermantown?
Some years you get two though: just depends on which teams are up and which are down. I only see this happening if those north metro teams completly take over those sections, which they haven't yet.

kniven
Posts: 2946
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by kniven » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:27 am

CB00 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:18 am
With Andover the favorite in 7AA and STMA showing they have a shot at 8AA, is there a real chance that no northern team makes the tournament this year?

Why not a northern section:
Cloquet
DE
Rapids
Bemidji
Moorhead
Roseau
Brainerd
Marshall
Rock Ridge?
Hermantown?
You might be right, CB. That would stink. But you might be right. 😧
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

InThePipes
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by InThePipes » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:18 am

Possible, STMA obviously has a couple of really good players who will be tough to contain.

Section 8 guy
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by Section 8 guy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:49 am

There were two northern teams last year. Is it accurate that it’s only happened once that there’s only been one northern team at the tourney? Maybe one other time in the mid 90s or something. I could see there being a point in time where this is a legitimate discussion. Regardless of what happens this year I don’t see how we’re anywhere close to that at this point.

HSPuckFan96
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by HSPuckFan96 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:43 am

I will say there will be at least one northern team in the tournament...

Green and White Fan
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:51 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by Green and White Fan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:05 am

Sounds like a metro thought. Lets eliminate the chances of 2 northern teams in the state tournament so we can have more metro teams. As long as STMA's goalie is hot they stand a good chance. They tend to get outshot more than 2-1 by the better teams. That may bite them at some point.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!

Sparlimb
Posts: 1775
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:21 am

I've still got Moorhead winning it all this year. So I'm not too worried about your seasonal affective disorder comment.

Jeffy95
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 am

Yes, Andover is the favorite but them coming out of 7AA is far from a given. It's been said how much they rely on their D for offense. That makes it a little more unpredictable. Assuming East can win the Flake rematch, they have to get by them and a Randolph game plan first. If they manage that, Cloquet and Rapids both have goalies that can steal a game. I haven't seen Rapids in person this year but I know Cloquet can play a physical game when needed. That will be key. East knocked Andover all over the rink last year. They were looking over their shoulders early and often in that game and lost a lot of puck battles because of it. And don't forget that grueling two hour drive down I-35 in a Coach Bus. That's been compared to 12 hours on a 1920's Georgia chain gang as far as what it can take out of a guy physically. If Rapids is their opponent, they get that cushy drive down Beautiful two-lane Hwy. 2 in February. That's like the Autobahn compared to I-35. Advantage Rapids there.

Gonna be a fun Section tournament to watch regardless of who comes out.

MWS coach
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by MWS coach » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:36 am

Here's an even better thought,

With some growth in "northern" programs how about two mostly northern/central sections?

Those mentioned on first post:
Cloquet
DE
Rapids
Bemidji
Moorhead
Roseau
Brainerd
Marshall
Rock Ridge?
Hermantown?

Add
St. Cloud
SCC

Growth from
EGF
Alexandria
Warroad
and some more co ops and could be a reality. Not saying any of the above programs should be going AA, but with some growth and put in a section against teams they already play is this a possibility?

Northern suburban teams don't want to be in "your" section and want to play against rivals they play in youth....

Just a thought....

jdh
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:10 am

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by jdh » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:38 am

1999 had Elk River in Section 7, and Roseau (winner) from 8.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:19 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:21 am
I've still got Moorhead winning it all this year. So I'm not too worried about your seasonal affective disorder comment.
agree @Sparlimb monkey is finally off the back of the Spuds. #-o #-o

2020= Year of the potato.

kniven
Posts: 2946
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by kniven » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:29 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:19 pm
Sparlimb wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:21 am
I've still got Moorhead winning it all this year. So I'm not too worried about your seasonal affective disorder comment.
agree @Sparlimb monkey is finally off the back of the Spuds. #-o #-o

2020= Year of the potato.
Mashed potatoes with butter and sour cream...
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

InThePipes
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by InThePipes » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:49 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 am
Yes, Andover is the favorite but them coming out of 7AA is far from a given. It's been said how much they rely on their D for offense. That makes it a little more unpredictable.
Yup, this is a great point

Goose21
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 am

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by Goose21 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:54 pm

I would say that Andover has the psychological advantage this year of feeling like the are truly the best team in 7AA and there isn't that "mystique" of East (with them being down in talent and playoff experience).

I would also say Moorhead is primed for a deep push at State. If the seeding generally plays out, Andover has the tougher semi-final game, but Moorhead has the tougher final.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

muckandgrinder65
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:17 pm

"Yes, Andover is the favorite but them coming out of 7AA is far from a given. It's been said how much they rely on their D for offense. That makes it a little more unpredictable."

Just wondering what is a typical % of goals scored by D vs F?

According to MN Hockey Hub: Randover's D has scored 20 out of 110 goals which is about 18%

According to MN Hockey Hub: Rapids D have scored 18 out of 56 goals or about 32%-
Rapids is relying on their D even more than Randover for scoring, so they are probably just as unpredictable.....

Edinahopkins
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by Edinahopkins » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:20 pm

We just had a all Northern Final in 2017 and nobody had broken through in over 20 years in 7 so let’s just pump the breaks on that. Besides that Andover has never been to state in school history so acting like the city’s teams have taken over the north is laughable and besides that STMA is not wining 8. If anything those city’s teams need out of the northern sections.

hockey59
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by hockey59 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:30 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 am
Yes, Andover is the favorite but them coming out of 7AA is far from a given. It's been said how much they rely on their D for offense. That makes it a little more unpredictable. Assuming East can win the Flake rematch, they have to get by them and a Randolph game plan first. If they manage that, Cloquet and Rapids both have goalies that can steal a game. I haven't seen Rapids in person this year but I know Cloquet can play a physical game when needed. That will be key. East knocked Andover all over the rink last year. They were looking over their shoulders early and often in that game and lost a lot of puck battles because of it. And don't forget that grueling two hour drive down I-35 in a Coach Bus. That's been compared to 12 hours on a 1920's Georgia chain gang as far as what it can take out of a guy physically. If Rapids is their opponent, they get that cushy drive down Beautiful two-lane Hwy. 2 in February. That's like the Autobahn compared to I-35. Advantage Rapids there.

Gonna be a fun Section tournament to watch regardless of who comes out.
As I’ve noted in this thread previously, if Andover doesn’t advance to AA State this year...they NEVER will. But that relates more to who their opponents are this season relative to them, than so much how good they are. DE has beaten Tonka & I believe LVN, but raw talent wise, this is arguably the least talented team Randolph has ever had at DE. GR is still pretty young & Cloquet had better teams the past 2 seasons. In contrast, Andover has one Mr. Hockey finalist D & another (most likely) D1 level D. The have 3 high end forwards in Jones, Kron & Thoreson, but no absolute game changers. And they are a deep team with a lot of seniors who’ve played their fair share of varsity hockey. What they lack & what DE lacks is a section tournament experienced goalie ☝️ GR & Cloquet has a section play experienced goalie. And Cloquet has Galants, arguably the best F in the section. And Andover has the monkey on their backs of never having advanced to AA State (in their existence as a HS). I’d put their odds at 80%. That’s not 100%...nothing in life is.

muckandgrinder65
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:50 pm

Good Point 59-
Alternating 'B+' goalies is not a good confidence boost for a 'lock' team, let alone if they do make it to the X.
The boys probably are thinking they need to score 4 at least to make up for the lake of 'Elite' goal tending.
That why Rapids has the best shot at taking them out if they meet in sections-

raidergrad72
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by raidergrad72 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:18 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 am
Yes, Andover is the favorite but them coming out of 7AA is far from a given. It's been said how much they rely on their D for offense. That makes it a little more unpredictable. Assuming East can win the Flake rematch, they have to get by them and a Randolph game plan first. If they manage that, Cloquet and Rapids both have goalies that can steal a game. I haven't seen Rapids in person this year but I know Cloquet can play a physical game when needed. That will be key. East knocked Andover all over the rink last year. They were looking over their shoulders early and often in that game and lost a lot of puck battles because of it. And don't forget that grueling two hour drive down I-35 in a Coach Bus. That's been compared to 12 hours on a 1920's Georgia chain gang as far as what it can take out of a guy physically. If Rapids is their opponent, they get that cushy drive down Beautiful two-lane Hwy. 2 in February. That's like the Autobahn compared to I-35. Advantage Rapids there.

Gonna be a fun Section tournament to watch regardless of who comes out.
You ain't been on Hwy. 2 or 35w lately otherwise your comment would be reversed there buddy! :wink: Frost heaves on 2 are harder to take than 35.

edgeless2
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by edgeless2 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:29 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:21 am
I've still got Moorhead winning it all this year. So I'm not too worried about your seasonal affective disorder comment.
This ^

Jeffy95
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:10 am

raidergrad72 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:18 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 am
Yes, Andover is the favorite but them coming out of 7AA is far from a given. It's been said how much they rely on their D for offense. That makes it a little more unpredictable. Assuming East can win the Flake rematch, they have to get by them and a Randolph game plan first. If they manage that, Cloquet and Rapids both have goalies that can steal a game. I haven't seen Rapids in person this year but I know Cloquet can play a physical game when needed. That will be key. East knocked Andover all over the rink last year. They were looking over their shoulders early and often in that game and lost a lot of puck battles because of it. And don't forget that grueling two hour drive down I-35 in a Coach Bus. That's been compared to 12 hours on a 1920's Georgia chain gang as far as what it can take out of a guy physically. If Rapids is their opponent, they get that cushy drive down Beautiful two-lane Hwy. 2 in February. That's like the Autobahn compared to I-35. Advantage Rapids there.

Gonna be a fun Section tournament to watch regardless of who comes out.
You ain't been on Hwy. 2 or 35w lately otherwise your comment would be reversed there buddy! :wink: Frost heaves on 2 are harder to take than 35.
Okay, fair enough. Maybe just 70/30 advantage to Rapids. 😉

WarmUpTheBus
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:59 am

muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:17 pm
"Yes, Andover is the favorite but them coming out of 7AA is far from a given. It's been said how much they rely on their D for offense. That makes it a little more unpredictable."

Just wondering what is a typical % of goals scored by D vs F?

According to MN Hockey Hub: Randover's D has scored 20 out of 110 goals which is about 18%

According to MN Hockey Hub: Rapids D have scored 18 out of 56 goals or about 32%-
Rapids is relying on their D even more than Randover for scoring, so they are probably just as unpredictable.....
Another way to look at this is Grand Rapids has scored about 50% fewer goals than Andover.

WestMetro
Posts: 2895
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by WestMetro » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:04 am

Agree with Spar and Edgeless. This is the Spuds year.

They will beat LV in first round , WBL in semis , and go on to win by 1 behind hot Hodges in the final.

Heading over to see Spars Pios against Biondi and Pierce today

hockey59
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: No northern team makes the tourney this year

Post by hockey59 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:39 am

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:04 am
Agree with Spar and Edgeless. This is the Spuds year.

They will beat LV in first round , WBL in semis , and go on to win by 1 behind hot Hodges in the final.

Heading over to see Spars Pios against Biondi and Pierce today
I’ll be at Aldrich too (today). We will get this whole thing figured out 😉😂

Post Reply