Section 4AA thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WBLPuck99

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by WBLPuck99 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:26 pm

Interesting if you look at the mid 90s runs of the WBL teams, which all had a rose, roed and gallatin on them.

I believe Randy is the dad of Owen. And I know roed is the son of Pete. Is Billy the son of Jeff rose?

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:27 pm

WBLPuck99 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:26 pm
Interesting if you look at the mid 90s runs of the WBL teams, which all had a rose, roed and gallatin on them.

I believe Randy is the dad of Owen. And I know roed is the son of Pete. Is Billy the son of Jeff rose?
Negative on that

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:38 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:49 am
Think about MG this year with all the kids they lost to NTDP, USHL, NAHL, WHL, etc.
And injury
Be kind. Rewind.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 pm

Every team has some of their best players move on to other programs. We didn't have Joey or Mikey Anderson very long.
Hockey Is For Everyone

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:22 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 pm
Every team has some of their best players move on to other programs. We didn't have Joey or Mikey Anderson very long.
True. But I try to often point out we are one of the few programs that doesn't discriminate based on geography. We accept all kids no matter what youth system they grew up in...

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:22 am

[/quote]

True. But I try to often point out we are one of the few programs that doesn't discriminate based on geography. We accept all kids no matter what youth system they grew up in...
[/quote]

You're from Hermantown???
Hockey Is For Everyone

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:24 am

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:22 am

You're from Hermantown???
Now that would have been a commute... I knew guys from River Falls and from Stacey, but that seemed to be about the furthest coming into HM.

WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:48 am

Sparlimb wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:22 pm
Roseville didn't have Joey or Mikey Anderson long at all either (although that was their own fault in this instance, but that's a different story).

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:56 am

WBLPuck99 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:48 am
Sparlimb wrote:
Roseville didn't have Joey or Mikey Anderson long at all either (although that was their own fault in this instance, but that's a different story).
What's the story there?

WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:34 am

Sparlimb wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:56 am
WBLPuck99 wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:

What's the story there?
My sources say they approached the Roseville coach about them playing varsity as 8th/7th graders, where they both would have probably been top players with a bullet. Don't know who or where the determination was made but it was frowned upon. Without options they went to Hill, where basically it was a "prove you can play on varsity scenario." Joey goes on to have hat tricks in just about all the JV games and gets moved up to varsity. Fast forward and Joey, as an 8th grader, is lighting it up in the state tournament.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:13 am

WBLPuck99 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:34 am
Sparlimb wrote:
WBLPuck99 wrote:

What's the story there?
My sources say they approached the Roseville coach about them playing varsity as 8th/7th graders, where they both would have probably been top players with a bullet. Don't know who or where the determination was made but it was frowned upon. Without options they went to Hill, where basically it was a "prove you can play on varsity scenario." Joey goes on to have hat tricks in just about all the JV games and gets moved up to varsity. Fast forward and Joey, as an 8th grader, is lighting it up in the state tournament.
Well that's pretty crazy if true. Not a lot of 8th graders make varsity at Hill, so they clearly belonged and showed it. Both future NHL players. The request must have rubbed the coaches wrong for some reason. Granted Mikey left for the national team, but was happy to get the few years we did out of them...

WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:26 am

Sparlimb wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:13 am
WBLPuck99 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:34 am
Sparlimb wrote:

What's the story there?
Well that's pretty crazy if true. Not a lot of 8th graders make varsity at Hill, so they clearly belonged and showed it. Both future NHL players. The request must have rubbed the coaches wrong for some reason. Granted Mikey left for the national team, but was happy to get the few years we did out of them...
My guess is Lechner knew they were talented but didn't know just exactly how talented they were, and once they were in house, he knew they were varsity players (stars). My point here was mostly to point out in this scenario I'm commending Lechner for giving a kid a chance to prove himself, and whoever at Roseville didn't, clearly doesn't understand the landscape of high school hockey. Had they played Bantams instead of going to Hill, they would have played (maybe?) 1 year at Roseville and been gone.

If you figure most blue chip guys at public schools get 2-3 years of a specific player on varsity, I'd say Hill got about what could be expected out of the Andersons. Same will be true for Pierre. Just kids that developed a lot earlier and are maybe on the fast track. We've also seen guys that were solid high end players finish high school and go on to the NHL. No right way to do it, but I understand more a kid like Joey/Mikey leaving after 3 years of high school hockey as a sophomore.

mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:28 am

Interesting about the RV thing too as the Anderson's dad was a JV coach for Roseville for multiple years in the mid 2000's...certainly they likely knew about the kids and their potential?

WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:50 am

mnhockfan99 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:28 am
Interesting about the RV thing too as the Anderson's dad was a JV coach for Roseville for multiple years in the mid 2000's...certainly they likely knew about the kids and their potential?
Probably -- But from all accounts I have heard it wasn't a contentious situation. I think the Anderson's dad was just trying to go about it in the most reasonable way possible, talking to the administration. And they made their determination and the family decided a different route.

I don't think it's uncommon either for public school varsity coaches to encourage the Peewee, Bantam, High School progression. I know a lot of people here wanted to see a certain Wahlin on the team with his brother as an 8th grader, but that didn't happen either (different reasons it appears, but same result).

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:41 am

mnpuckster wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 pm
Living in the past. This hill team has no depth. No trip to the X this year. They would have a better shot at 4a title. :x
Sadly, this post turned out to be Incorrect on all 4 counts. (Mahtomedi would have been tough to beat in 4A.)
Last edited by stpaul on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:19 am

stpaul wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:41 am
mnpuckster wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 pm
Living in the past. This hill team has no depth. No trip to the X this year. They would have a better shot at 4a title. :x
Sadly, this post turned out to be Incorrect on all 4 counts.
LOL I think we can all agree if he would have added a 5th point that would have made it incorrect in all 5 counts

mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:54 pm

The crow I had for lunch was a bit overcooked. but congrats to the kids from HM. Great run in the tourney. And tons of respect for lechner and co. 2-0 lead in 2nd period still stings. Strobel and pierre were too much that night. 1st time rooting for the pios in my life friday and Saturday night. congrats pioneers.

WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:11 am

stpaul wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:03 pm
inthetwine wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:59 pm
There was talk the Sager is done coaching at the section finals last Friday. Anybody have the scoop?
There is always talk about Sager being done after this familiar scene plays out. He's 2-7 vs Hill-Murray in Section Finals.
I think multiple people have heard wind that he's looking to retire in the next 4-5 years. For teachers, your pension is based on your pay over your last handful of years, so I assume coaching salary also counts. But I would say 4-5 more years.

I'm sure they would get a lot of good coaching candidates and I do not envy the AD who has to make the decision. They really need to find someone that will be able to have the respect where kids want to play for him.

I wish, long ago, the AD would have been able to convince Scott Hambly to coach the bears when the position was available. I think the curse would have been broken by now had that been the case.