Section 8AA Final - Roseau vs. Moorhead

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins the 8AA section final - Roseau or Moorhead?

Roseau
40%
Moorhead
60%

Total votes: 30

Section 8 guy

Re: Section 8AA Final - Roseau vs. Moorhead

Post by Section 8 guy »

I actually thought the attendance at the game tonight in Bemidji was the highest it’s been in a handful of years for a Section Final......stream or no stream.

And the initial numbers I heard for viewership of the stream were crazy strong. Hats off to Roseau for a great battle and season. My guess is there’s a good chance next year will be your year.
jdh

Post by jdh »

Section 8 guy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:52 am I actually thought the attendance at the game tonight in Bemidji was the highest it’s been in a handful of years for a Section Final......stream or no stream.

And the initial numbers I heard for viewership of the stream were crazy strong. Hats off to Roseau for a great battle and season. My guess is there’s a good chance next year will be your year.
I wish the BSU Beavers drew as many as were at the game last night.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Its funny how some view attendance. I for one was shocked at the few people on the Moorhead side of the ice. As far as the game, not a lot of excitement. Not a lot of flow, the puck seemed to be bouncing around a lot. The biggest disappointment was fairly early in the game, there appeared in real time to be a fairly vicious elbow to the head of ROseau's #7. 9 out 10 times that is called a 5 minute for head contact and nothing was called. THe refs knew they messed up as they took several minutes talking with each other before they would go over to coach Lundbohm and give him their excuse for not calling something. Good luck to the SPuds at state!
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

I can’t disagree and had similar thoughts on that play live. Although I’d have to rewatch it to confirm there was actually contact to the head. It is possible it was actually a clean hit but the video would prove that one way or the other. Live I thought what you thought.

One item of note on that front......there was only one penalty called in the entire game.....and the one that was called was actually a pretty weak call if you were only going to have a single penalty in an entire game. Credit to the kids on the ice for playing the game hard and the right way.
Green and White Fan

Watch the video, it confirms what was seen in real time. I have heard from officials who stated that was an easy call to make, 5 and a game!
Potatohead9

Post by Potatohead9 »

green and white fan Spuds had the same issue two years ago in the finals game against St M-A. Moorhead player was hit high sent to hospital with a broken jaw.... I believe no call was made.
Last night I was surprised there was no call, surprised of the player who made the hit. Not typically a player who initiates contract. Moorhead typically doesn’t play a physical game.

Roseau should have the pre-season #1 ranking in section 8AA for next season.
RoseauHockeyFan

Post by RoseauHockeyFan »

Green and White Fan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:27 pm Watch the video, it confirms what was seen in real time. I have heard from officials who stated that was an easy call to make, 5 and a game!
The hit in question happens at the 11:33 mark of the first period. It can be watched on http://spuds.tv/. It was certainly a rough hit. Gunderson appears to have had his bell rung as he's slow to get up afterwards. Probably could have been a penalty called.

I found the streaming coverage of the game was excellent, with multiple camera angles and good play-by-play announcers. Thanks spuds.tv.

I wish Roseau could have pulled out the win, but objectively speaking, Moorhead was just a little better this year, but I think Roseau should do well next year with all the returning underclassmen.

Moorhead is without a doubt the best hockey program in the state without a state championship. Perhaps this will be the year. Best of luck Spuds.
jdh

Post by jdh »

Potatohead9 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:40 pm green and white fan Spuds had the same issue two years ago in the finals game against St M-A. Moorhead player was hit high sent to hospital with a broken jaw.... I believe no call was made.
Last night I was surprised there was no call, surprised of the player who made the hit. Not typically a player who initiates contract. Moorhead typically doesn’t play a physical game.

Roseau should have the pre-season #1 ranking in section 8AA for next season.
Same refs as two years ago.
Green and White Fan

Not blaming the loss on that non-call, but if that is called how it should have been, a 5 and a game, who knows what happens. If Roseau's 5 minute power play would have looked like the one they did get later in the game, Moorhead may have been up a couple scoring short handed! The other aspect, is #5 for the Spuds wouldn't have been in the game to score the 2nd goal. Good experience for the young Rams, that should fuel a drive for next year. I believe the Spuds have 16 seniors on the team.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

One thing worth pointing out.........I’d guess somewhere along the way Roseau committed an infraction or two or five that someone could point out and argue could have been called. A bit dicey to spend this much energy on one non call when your team wasn’t called for a single penalty in the entire game.

The Rams have a strong young group. As mentioned, they will likely be clear section favorites next year. My buck says they will do very well.
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

Wow, that is a great quality stream. Nice job Moorhead.
jdh

Post by jdh »

RoseauHockeyFan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:31 pm
Green and White Fan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:27 pm Watch the video, it confirms what was seen in real time. I have heard from officials who stated that was an easy call to make, 5 and a game!
The hit in question happens at the 11:33 mark of the first period. It can be watched on http://spuds.tv/. It was certainly a rough hit. Gunderson appears to have had his bell rung as he's slow to get up afterwards. Probably could have been a penalty called.

I found the streaming coverage of the game was excellent, with multiple camera angles and good play-by-play announcers. Thanks spuds.tv.

I wish Roseau could have pulled out the win, but objectively speaking, Moorhead was just a little better this year, but I think Roseau should do well next year with all the returning underclassmen.

Moorhead is without a doubt the best hockey program in the state without a state championship. Perhaps this will be the year. Best of luck Spuds.
Their string of 8 without the big W will probably never be duplicated.
Green and White Fan

RIght Section 8 guy. You go through the game and find me the 1,2,5 major penalties Roseau committed in that game that were not called. Please report them back to all of us!
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

Green and White Fan wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:04 am RIght Section 8 guy. You go through the game and find me the 1,2,5 major penalties Roseau committed in that game that were not called. Please report them back to all of us!
He said infraction, not major penalty.