7AA FINALS

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95

Re: 7AA FINALS

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:52 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:44 am
Any of the 7AA hive think a certain 218 (team that sandbags 7A currently) will step up to the plate in 2022?
If they win State this year and next year, they will have a discussion about it, and then announce that they’re staying in A.

Anything short of that, not even a discussion.

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:07 am

Fightinghawklover wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:08 am
I don’t see how anyone could/should be criticized by not driving 2+ hours each way on a school night and I would guess if it was the other way around (two northern teams having to travel the same distance to play in the metro) the attendance would be far smaller as well.
This is a difference in the mindsets between metro and outstate folks. I lived the first half of my life in the Twin Cities, in which driving across town from the western suburbs to the other side of the river or vice versa was a big deal. Since moving up north, driving 2+ hours to the metro and back is no big deal. Even on a school night, Even for a regular season game. I’ve done it many times myself, as have many other parents. For proof, all you need to do is look at the attendance for the section 8AA title game where Roseau and Moorhead each had 2+ hour drives to Bemidji. 8A wasn’t a lot better. But they’re used to those drives.

I’m not saying either mindset is correct. But it is why metro folks don’t understand driving 5 hours round trip on a school night and northern folks don’t understand not doing it.

It’s also part of the reason northerners don’t understand the issue about having 7AA in Duluth, because to them, the drive isn’t an issue.

norcon

Post by norcon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:08 am

Any of the 7AA hive think a certain 218 (team that sandbags 7A currently) will step up to the plate in 2022?
If they were to win the state titles in peewee AA, bantam AA, and high school this and next season, they might give it some consideration, but I doubt it. They enjoy way too much, getting kids to transfer in from the small programs across the range and Duluth area to keep a stranglehold on 7A hockey. Quite an accomplishment 🙄

Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:22 am

Duluthguy wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:07 am
Fightinghawklover wrote:
I don’t see how anyone could/should be criticized by not driving 2+ hours each way on a school night and I would guess if it was the other way around (two northern teams having to travel the same distance to play in the metro) the attendance would be far smaller as well.
This is a difference in the mindsets between metro and outstate folks. I lived the first half of my life in the Twin Cities, in which driving across town from the western suburbs to the other side of the river or vice versa was a big deal. Since moving up north, driving 2+ hours to the metro and back is no big deal. Even on a school night, Even for a regular season game. I’ve done it many times myself, as have many other parents. For proof, all you need to do is look at the attendance for the section 8AA title game where Roseau and Moorhead each had 2+ hour drives to Bemidji. 8A wasn’t a lot better. But they’re used to those drives.

I’m not saying either mindset is correct. But it is why metro folks don’t understand driving 5 hours round trip on a school night and northern folks don’t understand not doing it.

It’s also part of the reason northerners don’t understand the issue about having 7AA in Duluth, because to them, the drive isn’t an issue.
My point is this. Both Andover and Elk River have several teams playing the the youth regional tournaments starting today at various locations around the metro/state so all of those kids/parents aren’t driving to Duluth for a game the night before that starts. By having that game on a Thursday night in Duluth excludes 90% of all youth from the southern part of the section just by how late it is and having school/work the next day. Same would be said if game was held in a southern part of the section and two northern teams are playing. Unfortunately we will never know the answer to that and it’s pure speculation on my part as well as anyone’s who would say that my opinion is wrong.

I drive all over the state watching hockey just like everyone else does, the difference is I’m watching my own child play and wouldn’t miss it no matter the time, day or place. I have a vested interest, anyone who doesn’t have a player playing takes several other factors into play before they decide if they attend a game that takes 5+ hours round trip to attend.

I have NO ISSUE where the games are played just saying anyone that wants to criticize the low attendance needs to consider all of the circumstances before casting judgement.

HSPuckFan96

Post by HSPuckFan96 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:33 am

I'm not plugged into either of these programs, but I'm sure the drive was a factor, on a school night...but honestly, most figured the game would go this way. The ER folks probably didn't want to see it and the Andover folks could just wait to fill up their section at the X next weekend. Also, the average high school fans in the north, that would normally attend this game, no matter what...decided to not go since there wasn't any northern team to cheer for. All in all, it's a bad situation and environment.

It's unfortunate for the kids that earned the opportunity to play for the section title, beyond that, I don't care if the section people have hurt feelings

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:42 am

But both teams chose to play the game at Amsoil. They both had the chance to decline and find a rink in the merto.

HSPuckFan96

Post by HSPuckFan96 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:58 am

Usthockey13 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:42 am
But both teams chose to play the game at Amsoil. They both had the chance to decline and find a rink in the merto.
I believe part of the issue is, if the schools wanted a change, they had to pay for it...is that correct? Most school districts would have a hard time justifying that cost, if that is true.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:04 am

I think Hermantown finally MAN’S Up in 2021-2022. But...I’ve been wrong on this before...some school administrators & some HT hockey boosters simply have no shame, so we’ll see 😉

Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:16 am

HSPuckFan96 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:58 am
Usthockey13 wrote:
I believe part of the issue is, if the schools wanted a change, they had to pay for it...is that correct? Most school districts would have a hard time justifying that cost, if that is true.
Ding ding ding!

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:38 am

hockey59 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:04 am
I think Hermantown finally MAN’S Up in 2021-2022. But...I’ve been wrong on this before...some school administrators & some HT hockey boosters simply have no shame, so we’ll see 😉
Andover - Hermantown final SHOULD be fitting of a 7AA final. Just saying Hermantown faithful. #-o

Good luck 59 to your Huskies. Job well done!!

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:20 am

HSPuckFan96 wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:
Yes, this is a true statement. Might be a surprise to some of you, but school districts are running on very large budget deficits. ER administration wouldn't even subsidize a fan bus let alone pay for a venue change. Youth teams playing in regions starting today absolutely is a factor, as is getting home after midnight on a school night. That said, ER student support is not very strong in general. Several years ago it was a lot stronger. The administration and school officials ( I will call them the fun police) have had the biggest effect on this. They don't allow kids to have any fun. Any chant and or anything beyond basically clapping your hands will get you in trouble. Certainly the "sieve, sieve, sieve" chant by Andover fans last night would not be tolerated. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings...C'mon, that is part of the fun and atmosphere! At a regular season game earlier this year, there was about 15 students in the student section with two uniformed police officers and an administration person hovering above them at the top of the section. Very sad.

Just curious, how many DE fans were in attendance at Forest Lake game on a Tuesday night? I have no idea so asking as a reference point.

Grand rapids has a great following and yes always brings many fans to the dance. Great to have the community support.

Good luck to 7AA representative Andover at state!!!!

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:31 am

MWS coach wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:20 am
HSPuckFan96 wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:
Yes, this is a true statement. Might be a surprise to some of you, but school districts are running on very large budget deficits. ER administration wouldn't even subsidize a fan bus let alone pay for a venue change. Youth teams playing in regions starting today absolutely is a factor, as is getting home after midnight on a school night. That said, ER student support is not very strong in general. Several years ago it was a lot stronger. The administration and school officials ( I will call them the fun police) have had the biggest effect on this. They don't allow kids to have any fun. Any chant and or anything beyond basically clapping your hands will get you in trouble. Certainly the "sieve, sieve, sieve" chant by Andover fans last night would not be tolerated. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings...C'mon, that is part of the fun and atmosphere! At a regular season game earlier this year, there was about 15 students in the student section with two uniformed police officers and an administration person hovering above them at the top of the section. Very sad.

Just curious, how many DE fans were in attendance at Forest Lake game on a Tuesday night? I have no idea so asking as a reference point.

Grand rapids has a great following and yes always brings many fans to the dance. Great to have the community support.

MWS coach has it figured out. This has been an all to alarming trend around the state in all sports. [-X [-X

HSPuckFan96

Post by HSPuckFan96 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:31 am
MWS coach wrote:
HSPuckFan96 wrote:

MWS coach has it figured out. This has been an all to alarming trend around the state in all sports. [-X [-X
Agreed...many schools (not all) have really cracked down on organized chants. It's sad to see a decent size student section that has to basically not be crazy.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:40 pm

HSPuckFan96 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:27 pm
MWS coach wrote:

Agreed...many schools (not all) have really cracked down on organized chants. It's sad to see a decent size student section that has to basically not be crazy.
Ridiculous policing and loss of bands has really taken the starch out of a festive barn. Thanks school Admins YOU SUCK!!!

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:41 pm

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:40 pm
HSPuckFan96 wrote:

Ridiculous policing and loss of bands has really taken the starch out of a festive barn. Thanks school Admins, YOU SUCK!!!

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:16 pm

I was thinking after the Elk/ GR game that we won't get to see what could have been. But after seeing what Andover did in the finals made me realize how deserving they are of this trip to St. Paul.

Somebody is going to have to bring the goods to keep the Huskies from their first state championship.

Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:31 pm

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:40 pm
HSPuckFan96 wrote:

Ridiculous policing and loss of bands has really taken the starch out of a festive barn. Thanks school Admins YOU SUCK!!!
so disappointing: raucous student sections yelling back and forth is huge part of what makes high school different from a pro game. Sure keep them from doing something really obscene but let them have some fun

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:35 pm

Fightinghawklover wrote:
This doesn't explain the poor attendance by cities teams on semifinal Saturday though...games were even done early, could have been home before dark! Guess northern cities are just more supportive for their hockey teams. After rooting for them all year I think it's ok to sacrifice one Sat or heaven forbid one weekday to cheer them for a state tourney birth. Besides, after your team wins it's an awesome 2hr car ride home!
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:35 pm

north_bear wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:35 pm
Fightinghawklover wrote:
This doesn't explain the poor attendance by cities teams on semifinal Saturday though...games were even done early, could have been home before dark! Guess northern cities are just more supportive for their hockey teams. After rooting for them all year I think it's ok to sacrifice one Sat or heaven forbid one weekday to cheer them for a state tourney birth. Besides, after your team wins it's an awesome 2hr car ride home!
No kidding. The 3 hour trek to St. Paul in March is a luxury. Not a hassle.