6AA/2AA Section Final Coverage

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Re: 6AA/2AA Section Final Coverage

Post by WestMetro »

Thanks GB! An opinion I trust! And the link confirmed it.

Wish there had been real time replay for both those in person and at home .

Just sayin- For the section finals to become eligible for the biggest prep tournament in the country of over 100,000 ,you’d think its about time technology can improve the experience for all and let someone breakeven or make some money too

Prep45 pay per view like Wdio in Duluth , with instant replay at the arena?

Or MnHockey.Tv and Spud.TV run real time replay all the time very well, just to name two . And great announcers. Could have been watching my phone to see replay of Holts shot immediately
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Interesting discussion on penalty shot. When it happened, my opinion was if refs want to call it at this time of game, I can't argue. It warranted a penalty shot.

The discussion I had with some "in the know" hockey people, was: If given the option, would Blake prefer the two minutes vs penalty shot? Blake had been skating 2 lines vs Benilde rolling more lines. As first overtime was 3/4 completed, Blake needed to get to the intermission/resurface to get a 15 minute rest (my opinion). A two minute Blake pp would help them get there (there was about 2 minutes left in first 8 minute OT), versus penalty shot missed and Benilde attacking tired Blake legs. You can look at percentages of penalty shots made vs Blake power play percentage, and our group thought two minutes if given the choice may be the right call. As it turned out, what do we know and penalty shot made, rest is history. GB
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Way to be on top of the big picture GB!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

GoldenBear wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:27 am Interesting discussion on penalty shot. When it happened, my opinion was if refs want to call it at this time of game, I can't argue. It warranted a penalty shot.

The discussion I had with some "in the know" hockey people, was: If given the option, would Blake prefer the two minutes vs penalty shot? Blake had been skating 2 lines vs Benilde rolling more lines. As first overtime was 3/4 completed, Blake needed to get to the intermission/resurface to get a 15 minute rest (my opinion). A two minute Blake pp would help them get there (there was about 2 minutes left in first 8 minute OT), versus penalty shot missed and Benilde attacking tired Blake legs. You can look at percentages of penalty shots made vs Blake power play percentage, and our group thought two minutes if given the choice may be the right call. As it turned out, what do we know and penalty shot made, rest is history. GB
Fun stuff. Reminds me of an OT Tourney game a few years back when Hermantown got a penalty shot vs. Breck with their 3rd line on the ice, and it seemed like the obvious choice to me to decline it and take the PP. Instead, Plante took the penalty shot, and the kid got stuffed. Hermantown won the game, so no harm no foul, but that game could easily have broken the other way. It would be a gutsy call for a coach to turn down the penalty shot and that shot at glory. Can anyone remember that happening in a HS playoff game at any point?
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

ryguyMN wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:35 am I also thought the penalty shot call in overtime was correct in the Blake/Benilde game and admire the refs for having the guts to make that call in that situation. Clear scoring opportunity taken away from the Blake shooter as he was bearhugged by the Benilde defender in the offensive zone after the defender lost his stick. That was a fun, back and forth game and the SOG did not tell the story at all. Felt like the momentum was in Benilde's favor towards the end of the game, but then the situation in overtime happened and Blake capitalized on the opportunity.

Two big calls last night, one in each game, and glad to see the right decision was made in each case.
Right call on penalty shot if you call the 5 minute major on Blake 30 seconds before the penalty shot happened or you waive off the Blake's 3rd goal to tie game after #20 takes out the Benilde goalie.
6AAGuy

Post by 6AAGuy »

MinnScout it appears you have at least one valid point. While i can't find footage of the check from behind, many have suggested the same thing: should/could have been called a minute prior to the penalty shot call.

Regarding Blake's third/tying goal, I did find some pretty clear footage at about 2:00 in the link below and definitely looks like (1) illegal crease entry and (2) goaltender interference, Footage shows #20 entering the crease well after losing the puck (can't to that), and taking out tender (can't do that either).....BSM had a case for Illegal crease entry and goaltender contact---both calls to be made by refs who are on top of it. Good for Blake, tough for BSM...

https://kstp.com/minnesota-prep-sports/ ... r/5657845/
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

6AAGuy wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:11 am MinnScout it appears you have at least one valid point. While i can't find footage of the check from behind, many have suggested the same thing: should/could have been called a minute prior to the penalty shot call.

Regarding Blake's third/tying goal, I did find some pretty clear footage at about 2:00 in the link below and definitely looks like (1) illegal crease entry and (2) goaltender interference, Footage shows #20 entering the crease well after losing the puck (can't to that), and taking out tender (can't do that either).....BSM had a case for Illegal crease entry and goaltender contact---both calls to be made by refs who are on top of it. Good for Blake, tough for BSM...

Yes, the Blake's 3rd goal to tie the game was atrocious call. How that goal wasn't waived off is awful. Have the technology at Mariucci to review the goals, why not use them?
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

6AAGuy wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:11 am MinnScout it appears you have at least one valid point. While i can't find footage of the check from behind, many have suggested the same thing: should/could have been called a minute prior to the penalty shot call.

This is a call that is unfortunately very often missed. It's not an easy call to make for an official.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

The ref did not miss seeing #20 take out the goalie. He told #30 from BSM that he thought he was outside the crease so he let it go. Wasn't even close to being outside crease. Blown call and took game away from Red knights.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

As I understand it, in order to use the Mariucci replay equip, you need to employ and pay their techies which is big bucks $$$$
Last edited by blueblood on Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Like a Champion Today
Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

blueblood wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:21 pm AsIi understand it, in order to use the Mariucci replay equip, you need to employ and pay their techies which is big bucks $$$$
Even if this money was brought forward, would MSHSL even allow it? It’s not allowed (or available) in any other section games throughout the state, right?
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

minnscout wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:42 pm
ryguyMN wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:35 am I also thought the penalty shot call in overtime was correct in the Blake/Benilde game and admire the refs for having the guts to make that call in that situation. Clear scoring opportunity taken away from the Blake shooter as he was bearhugged by the Benilde defender in the offensive zone after the defender lost his stick. That was a fun, back and forth game and the SOG did not tell the story at all. Felt like the momentum was in Benilde's favor towards the end of the game, but then the situation in overtime happened and Blake capitalized on the opportunity.

Two big calls last night, one in each game, and glad to see the right decision was made in each case.
Right call on penalty shot if you call the 5 minute major on Blake 30 seconds before the penalty shot happened or you waive off the Blake's 3rd goal to tie game after #20 takes out the Benilde goalie.
How about the missed hooking call on #11 for Benilde in the first period? Blake surely would have scored on the power play.
If the 5 minute major was called in overtime, Blake would have scored a short handed goal and the penalty shot would have been moot. The result would have been the same, the better team won.