Privates in Tournament

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jdh

Privates in Tournament

Post by jdh »

First time in the history of this great event we have three private schools. We’ve had two several times and also a couple of all-private finals.
Sparlimb

Re: Privates in Tournament

Post by Sparlimb »

Yet they've still won very few titles comparatively. So I'm not too worried.
defense

Post by defense »

And for the first time in history I will be cheering one.
Go Blake. Assuming Moorhead does not exorcise their demon or curse or whatever.
Otter Hockey Rocks
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

With no Edina fans will have someone to cheer against. Except for maybe Blake
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I think the fans will give Blake credit for opting up. I will be a strange tournament with no real crowd favorite. Going into the section finals I think there were a bunch of teams that could have filled that bill; Roseau, Hastings, probably Burnsville and White Bear Lake as well. Now we are left with the 3 private schools, the blah suburbs of Maple Grove and Lakeville, Eden Prairie May fill the Edina villain role. That leaves Moorhead, who at least in my section isn’t exactly a crowd favorite.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

goldy313 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:47 pm I think the fans will give Blake credit for opting up. I will be a strange tournament with no real crowd favorite. Going into the section finals I think there were a bunch of teams that could have filled that bill; Roseau, Hastings, probably Burnsville and White Bear Lake as well. Now we are left with the 3 private schools, the blah suburbs of Maple Grove and Lakeville, Eden Prairie May fill the Edina villain role. That leaves Moorhead, who at least in my section isn’t exactly a crowd favorite.
Andover adds some intrigue but the rest of the teams are not my cup of tea. I will be following class A in 2020.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

StanleyCup55 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:41 pm With no Edina fans will have someone to cheer against. Except for maybe Blake
It will be mildly amusing to ask ushers, "Where is the Edina section? They're in this thing every year." It's priceless to see them scan the X with a confused look & tell you, "I don't know."
Hockey Is For Everyone
East Side Pioneer Guy

goldy313 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:47 pm I think the fans will give Blake credit for opting up. I will be a strange tournament with no real crowd favorite. Going into the section finals I think there were a bunch of teams that could have filled that bill; Roseau, Hastings, probably Burnsville and White Bear Lake as well. Now we are left with the 3 private schools, the blah suburbs of Maple Grove and Lakeville, Eden Prairie May fill the Edina villain role. That leaves Moorhead, who at least in my section isn’t exactly a crowd favorite.

If the privates hear "Where's your ci-ty?" from the likes of EP, Andover, or MG, the response should be "Where's you downtown?"
Hockey Is For Everyone
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

I don't think there is any "may fill the villain role" question about it with EP, they are undoubtedly the villains of this group teams.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

InThePipes wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:11 am
I don't think there is any "may fill the villain role" question about it with EP, they are undoubtedly the villains of this group teams.
I would think Andover as the new team and Moorhead as a northern sentimental favorite that's never won will be the two teams that everyone gets behind.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:45 am
I'd not be surprised to see neutral fans in favor of the Huskies. They'll gloss over it being a suburban monolith. Not exactly the Daddy's Money crowd, but far from Brooklyn Center too.
Hockey Is For Everyone
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

I would think Andover as the new team and Moorhead as a northern sentimental favorite that's never won will be the two teams that everyone gets behind.
I think you are right on the money.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

SEC Scotty wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:38 am

I think you are right on the money.
And whoever is playing EP :lol:
East Side Pioneer Guy

I hate the new teams in the tournament. I like the same teams there every year. :D
Hockey Is For Everyone