Hill-Murray vs St. Thomas Academy - Semi-Final Friday

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins in the Tradition Rich Metro East Clash?

Hill-Murray
81%
St. Thomas Academy
19%

Total votes: 26

raidergrad72

Re: Hill-Murray vs St. Thomas Academy - Semi-Final Friday

Post by raidergrad72 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:56 am

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:10 am
Said when OT started it would be Hallum , or Strobel or Pierre . Easy to say. Right for a change , tap in right in front of us .

When I saw Hermantown throttle the Pios late in regular season, I was doubting they would make it this far. But they sure did put together a nice run of games to get to Championship night

Loved the STA comeback , Especially after the morale busting disallowed delayed off side bouncing puck goal . Correct call , even though the rule could stand some examination for situations like this one .

Glad the later close call onside / offside goal was not reversed , wasn’t enough clear and convincing , another correct call .
Good morning W.Metro, to me, watching at home, it looked like there was just enough white between the puck & the line to be not offside. TV camera guy did a good job in stutter-stopping the video & zooming it in as much as he or she could. The right call. Too bad about the first one & there was another close one when the STA player raising his stick on the deflection for the score. Louie thought that might be called back, but not.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:00 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:27 am
Where are Sparlimb's comments on the game? As much as I hate to admit it, these boys are really fun to watch. For the first time in my life I can say that I will be cheering for Hill-Murray tomorrow night. I'm trying not to throw up in my mouth while I say that. It's like cheering for Hitler vs. Stalin. You have to pick a side.
Well when the game goes to sudden victory and I'm on my 6th rum and coke to help alleviate the anxiety, I get tired. And so when the game ended, I quietly turned off the tv (after a victory dance in the living room) and went to bed.

Kudos to STA. They played exactly how they needed to and outplayed Hill for a good portion of the game. Its not usually their style to come back from a deficit, but they kept plugging away and made it happen. Think on this. Had there been no replay, the goal in the 2nd period would have stood for STA (clearly offsides) and they may have won the game. I agree with comments above. Hill seemed to find their legs in the OT and started playing a lot better and getting the better chances. And I found it really interesting that Sweet Lou was in the middle of a comment about STA not shooting when they could and Hill counter attacked, shot from the point and banged home a rebound to move on. Sometimes Lou is very prescient.

Hill better find a way to play a lot better tonight. EP is a deep machine full of talent. They will need a Joe Filippi like effort in nets tonight. And they will need to strike. I've said this to a number of folks. Hill wins when Nick Pierre scores. He didn't score last night and they still managed to win. Tonight he's on the biggest stage and presumably the last game of his high school career. He needs to step up and score 2-3 goals.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:07 am

Sparlimb wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:00 am
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:27 am
Where are Sparlimb's comments on the game? As much as I hate to admit it, these boys are really fun to watch. For the first time in my life I can say that I will be cheering for Hill-Murray tomorrow night. I'm trying not to throw up in my mouth while I say that. It's like cheering for Hitler vs. Stalin. You have to pick a side.
Well when the game goes to sudden victory and I'm on my 6th rum and coke to help alleviate the anxiety, I get tired. And so when the game ended, I quietly turned off the tv (after a victory dance in the living room) and went to bed.

Kudos to STA. They played exactly how they needed to and outplayed Hill for a good portion of the game. Its not usually their style to come back from a deficit, but they kept plugging away and made it happen. Think on this. Had there been no replay, the goal in the 2nd period would have stood for STA (clearly offsides) and they may have won the game. I agree with comments above. Hill seemed to find their legs in the OT and started playing a lot better and getting the better chances. And I found it really interesting that Sweet Lou was in the middle of a comment about STA not shooting when they could and Hill counter attacked, shot from the point and banged home a rebound to move on. Sometimes Lou is very prescient.

Hill better find a way to play a lot better tonight. EP is a deep machine full of talent. They will need a Joe Filippi like effort in nets tonight. And they will need to strike. I've said this to a number of folks. Hill wins when Nick Pierre scores. He didn't score last night and they still managed to win. Tonight he's on the biggest stage and presumably the last game of his high school career. He needs to step up and score 2-3 goals.
We had similar nights. I was on my 4th whiskey and the heart was palpitating hard! The gal went up to watch Outlanders and go to bed. I had to do my silent dance around the living room after the win.

Last night I felt like Hill forgot to play as a team at times. There were sooooo many times a Hill skater took the puck into STA's zone and tried to get cutesy and split two defenders. Not much passing to speak of, or setting up in the zone to try and establish their offense. I think they thought their speed was going to win the day like it did against Moorhead, and STA defended it perfectly. STA deflected a ton of their long-range shots. They'll need to get back to their game tonight or it'll be a long night for the pios
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:07 am

:ll
deacon wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:30 pm
hockey59 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:28 pm
For the sake of an entertaining championship game (& with all due respect to Dannys Cadets) Thank the Lord...Hill Murray won in OT. I left after the 2nd period...the game was so boring in comparison to Blake vs Eden Prairie game ☝️
You missed an awesome 3rd period
Yes I did☝️Listened to the third period in car then stopped at BDubbs in Blaine for last 5 minutes of OT. Eigner might rub some the wrong way...but he can flat out COACH. His game plan & players sticking to their structure resulted in the win over Andover & taking HM to 23.6 seconds left in OT & almost getting to the title game. STA has literally one star player (#15 thou it’s needless to point out, everybody could see it) who created most of their chances and the rest are a bunch of solid, smart, gritty players & with a terrific goalie they came within an eyelash’s width of getting them threw. So congrats to the Cadets on one hell of a run since after Christmas, they were a dangerous team 👍

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:23 am

Nice comeback by St. Thomas after looking like Hill was going to repeat what they did to Moorhead. They seemed to adjust to Hill's forecheck after having a hard time getting out of there own end clean early. Also their D did a good job of keeping Pierre in front of them.

We thought that St. Thomas needed to do a better job of getting guys in front of Koepple.

In the end the deeper team won. I thought Fleishacker had a great game including one play when he kept up stride for stride with Hallum and then stripped the puck from him.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:39 am

hockey59 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:07 am
deacon wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:28 pm
For the sake of an entertaining championship game (& with all due respect to Dannys Cadets) Thank the Lord...Hill Murray won in OT. I left after the 2nd period...the game was so boring in comparison to Blake vs Eden Prairie game ☝️
Yes I did☝️Listened to the third period in car then stopped at BDubbs in Blaine for last 5 minutes of OT. Eigner might rub some the wrong way...but he can flat out COACH. His game plan & players sticking to their structure resulted in the win over Andover & taking HM to 23.6 seconds left in OT & almost getting to the title game. STA has literally one star player (#15 thou it’s needless to point out, everybody could see it) who created most of their chances and the rest are a bunch of solid, smart, gritty players & with a terrific goalie they came within an eyelash’s width of getting them threw. So congrats to the Cadets on one hell of a run since after Christmas, they were a dangerous team 👍
The big question, boneless or traditional at BDubbs? I would guess traditional!!!! :lol:

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:10 pm

I would hope
Traditional

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:39 pm

MWS coach wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:39 am
hockey59 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:07 am
deacon wrote:

The big question, boneless or traditional at BDubbs? I would guess traditional!!!! :lol:
Nope...the “new” boneless wings are really good, I go Asian Zing sauce 😉😂. Of course, they’re not even close to as tasty as the traditional wings at Serums in Downtown Anoka...everybody living in the NW suburbs knows that☝️

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:43 pm

Yup

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:15 pm

Boneless 'wings' are just chicken tenders and nothing you can say will change my mind.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c-BC-4RQe8

Full game, but not the channel 45 feed. Leaving here for a few years from now...

WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 pm

SEC Scotty wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:23 am
Nice comeback by St. Thomas after looking like Hill was going to repeat what they did to Moorhead. They seemed to adjust to Hill's forecheck after having a hard time getting out of there own end clean early. Also their D did a good job of keeping Pierre in front of them.

We thought that St. Thomas needed to do a better job of getting guys in front of Koepple.

In the end the deeper team won. I thought Fleishacker had a great game including one play when he kept up stride for stride with Hallum and then stripped the puck from him.
I also feel like Saint Thomas changed up their game to start the third and really started to take it to Hill. Once they tied it up, it looked like they went back to their original game plan, and hill took the game back to where it was in periods one and two. Seemed like they should have kept the pressure on like they did in the 3rd period.

The third high strategy to clog up the neutral zone did not work against hill like many thought it would.