Mahtomedi vs Warroad

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
elliott70
Posts: 13613
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by elliott70 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:49 am

Would like to see a good game but really want Warroad in the final so if they win by 5 I will not complain.

And I have no idea what time this game will start.

karl(east)
Posts: 6246
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by karl(east) » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:50 am

The upset is possible, but the Zephyrs need to play a complete game and get great goaltending from Dardis and try to capitalize against Warroad's lower lines. Curious if Warroad will try to line-match or do anything tactically to gain an advantage. That said, their top line is really just a coach's dream: turn those top two loose and let them do their thing. Like the Lawson/Troumbly combo from Greenway a season ago, they're just a delight to watch, though this Warriors team has the added benefit of additional depth and better balance.

Sparlimb
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:06 am

Looks pretty clear to me Mahtomedi wants nothing to do with overtime. Such nightmares in this tourney for them.

Stang5280
Posts: 1208
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:12 pm

Umm, why is this thread getting no attention? We are looking at the upset of the tournament so far about halfway through this game.

BlueLineSpecial
Posts: 625
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 am
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!!

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:15 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:12 pm
Umm, why is this thread getting no attention? We are looking at the upset of the tournament so far about halfway through this game.
I'm just holding my breath to see if the second Metro East school in two days knocks off the # 1 seed in their respective class :lol:
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

goldy313
Posts: 3500
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by goldy313 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:28 pm

That is the Tradition Rich Metro East..... :idea:

jeffpv
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by jeffpv » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:28 pm

Tough day for Foster, the Warroad goalie. Five goals on a dozen shots really hurts.

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by defense » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:30 pm

Well Warroad???
Mahtomedi is definitely better so far today.
Otter Hockey Rocks

Bonin2121
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by Bonin2121 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:31 pm

Classic Suburban playing good puck

Stang5280
Posts: 1208
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:32 pm

Wow, did not see this one coming. Warroad has carried play, but Dardis has been stellar and the Zephyrs have buried their limited chances.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Holy moly Maht taking the Warriors right to the woodshed

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:36 pm

Bonin2121 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:31 pm
Classic Suburban playing good puck
The Lake?! NOT the Classic Suburban is BOSS dammmmmmmmmmmmm

Goose21
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 am

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by Goose21 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:41 pm

Of the big 3 teams (Warroad, SCC, and Hermantown) I wondered if the Warriors might have trouble if their top line didn't produce and they played a team that had more depth. Not sure if that is how it is playing out as I am just tuning in.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:55 pm

Goose21 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:41 pm
Of the big 3 teams (Warroad, SCC, and Hermantown) I wondered if the Warriors might have trouble if their top line didn't produce and they played a team that had more depth. Not sure if that is how it is playing out as I am just tuning in.
Shades of the Andover game with Warroad bringing the pucks to Dardis but he's been back breaking good. And Maht has capitalized on many a chance

smhockey77
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:56 am

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by smhockey77 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:58 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:50 am
The upset is possible, but the Zephyrs need to play a complete game and get great goaltending from Dardis and try to capitalize against Warroad's lower lines. Curious if Warroad will try to line-match or do anything tactically to gain an advantage. That said, their top line is really just a coach's dream: turn those top two loose and let them do their thing. Like the Lawson/Troumbly combo from Greenway a season ago, they're just a delight to watch, though this Warriors team has the added benefit of additional depth and better balance.
Looks like you hit this nail on the head. Nice call.

BlueLineSpecial
Posts: 625
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 am
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!!

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:20 pm

goldy313 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:28 pm
That is the Tradition Rich Metro East..... :idea:
With this result and with either EP or Blake eliminated tonight, the TRADITION RICH METRO EAST at that moment is guaranteed 3 of the remaining 5 teams at State. Pretty freaking good!
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by defense » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:57 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:20 pm
goldy313 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:28 pm
That is the Tradition Rich Metro East..... :idea:
With this result and with either EP or Blake eliminated tonight, the TRADITION RICH METRO EAST at that moment is guaranteed 3 of the remaining 5 teams at State. Pretty freaking good!
Cannot argue the results
Otter Hockey Rocks

karl(east)
Posts: 6246
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by karl(east) » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:15 pm

smhockey77 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:58 pm
karl(east) wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:50 am
The upset is possible, but the Zephyrs need to play a complete game and get great goaltending from Dardis and try to capitalize against Warroad's lower lines. Curious if Warroad will try to line-match or do anything tactically to gain an advantage. That said, their top line is really just a coach's dream: turn those top two loose and let them do their thing. Like the Lawson/Troumbly combo from Greenway a season ago, they're just a delight to watch, though this Warriors team has the added benefit of additional depth and better balance.
Looks like you hit this nail on the head. Nice call.
Hate to say it, but I did. I thought Warroad's D got way too over-aggressive, which caused problems the other direction and cost them dearly. Dardis was fantastic and it seemed like the Zephyrs got all the bounces, too. We'll see if they can repeat the formula tomorrow.

Sparlimb
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:19 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:15 pm
smhockey77 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:58 pm
karl(east) wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:50 am
The upset is possible, but the Zephyrs need to play a complete game and get great goaltending from Dardis and try to capitalize against Warroad's lower lines. Curious if Warroad will try to line-match or do anything tactically to gain an advantage. That said, their top line is really just a coach's dream: turn those top two loose and let them do their thing. Like the Lawson/Troumbly combo from Greenway a season ago, they're just a delight to watch, though this Warriors team has the added benefit of additional depth and better balance.
Looks like you hit this nail on the head. Nice call.
Hate to say it, but I did. I thought Warroad's D got way too over-aggressive, which caused problems the other direction and cost them dearly. Dardis was fantastic and it seemed like the Zephyrs got all the bounces, too. We'll see if they can repeat the formula tomorrow.
I looked at Warroad's schedule and it wasn't littered with top end teams and that gave me pause. They did beat Cathedral, but I was surprised they didn't play Hermantown. From watching the two games today, the first game was much faster and more skilled. I think Mahtomedi can give Hermantown a game, because they play a defensive style that matched up. Although so did HM and Hermantown dominated them. But anyway, I wonder if Warroad was just over hyped or if they just played terrible today. I didn't catch their quarterfinal, so I only saw the one game.

TTpuckster
Posts: 2536
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am
Location: State of Hockey

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by TTpuckster » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:18 pm

God that was painful

Warroad didn’t play bad today.
They just ran into a hot goalie and their goalie, who is usually very good, had a tough, uptight day.

I am willing to bet that, if they played Maht 10 times, they would win 8.

But, hats off to Maht, they made the best of their opportunities.
What is a Green Wave anyway?

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2467
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:26 pm

TTpuckster wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:18 pm
God that was painful

Warroad didn’t play bad today.
They just ran into a hot goalie and their goalie, who is usually very good, had a tough, uptight day.

I am willing to bet that, if they played Maht 10 times, they would win 8.

But, hats off to Maht, they made the best of their opportunities.
Agree with that TT. I'm hoping Maht can make it a game tomorrow but I was looking forward to Hermantown/Warroad.

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by defense » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:54 pm

I think in both semi finals this afternoon there were four great teams. I think that either game could have ended up exactly opposite of what it did. If they played tomorrow they may have indeed ended up on opposite sides of one sided losses. I think the four teams are just that good that the winners happened to catch their opponent's weakness that day and took it to them on the big stage. No team is overhyped or under seeded.
Otter Hockey Rocks

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:59 pm

A semi's have been darn entertaining for quite a while now. Today was a total dud. Hope it is just anomaly in 2020. Stuff happens hope it ain't a trend.

Post Reply