Out State Recruitment -- STA this year and going forward

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

OBOY

Re: Out State Recruitment -- STA this year and going forward

Post by OBOY » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:08 pm

goldy313 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:52 pm
It is clearly not just a private school phenomenon, Mark Hall won six individual wrestling titles and numerous team titles at Apple Valley, he now wrestles for Penn State and has at least one National championship. He played high school football in Michigan in the fall then wrestled in Minnesota in the winter multiple years. Did the family move twice a year? No, of course not. Yet he was eligible every year.

I know some eligibility rules in Minnesota were changed after some kids from out of state were found to be living with high school coaches while their parents remained in other states. However, that was just one change.

I don’t know what the answer is but the MSHSL doesn’t have an enforcement wing and relies on individual schools policing themselves. Someone with more knowledge than me can comment on it but to the best of my knowledge eligibility verification is nothing more than the player signing a piece of paper saying they are eligible.
Here’s the deal, just because so and so does it would that make it right? I say if the MSHSL is not going to enforce the rules and bylaws then let’s just do away with the transfer rules. I’m good with that to, let’s just place everyone on the same playing field with the same rules spelled out. I 100% believe in school choice!

Honestly, doing away with the transfer rules would be great! I look at it this way, if a kid gets cut from his HS team and instead of deciding to play Jgold, let’s let him transfer if he chooses. Schools like Richfield, Bloomington Kennedy, St Paul Johnson etc would all benefit in a hugeway from this. And it would also give the kid a shot at playing a HS sport.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:23 pm

OBOY wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:08 pm
goldy313 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:52 pm
It is clearly not just a private school phenomenon, Mark Hall won six individual wrestling titles and numerous team titles at Apple Valley, he now wrestles for Penn State and has at least one National championship. He played high school football in Michigan in the fall then wrestled in Minnesota in the winter multiple years. Did the family move twice a year? No, of course not. Yet he was eligible every year.

I know some eligibility rules in Minnesota were changed after some kids from out of state were found to be living with high school coaches while their parents remained in other states. However, that was just one change.

I don’t know what the answer is but the MSHSL doesn’t have an enforcement wing and relies on individual schools policing themselves. Someone with more knowledge than me can comment on it but to the best of my knowledge eligibility verification is nothing more than the player signing a piece of paper saying they are eligible.
Here’s the deal, just because so and so does it would that make it right? I say if the MSHSL is not going to enforce the rules and bylaws then let’s just do away with the transfer rules. I’m good with that to, let’s just place everyone on the same playing field with the same rules spelled out. I 100% believe in school choice!

Honestly, doing away with the transfer rules would be great! I look at it this way, if a kid gets cut from his HS team and instead of deciding to play Jgold, let’s let him transfer if he chooses. Schools like Richfield, Bloomington Kennedy, St Paul Johnson etc would all benefit in a hugeway from this. And it would also give the kid a shot at playing a HS sport.
This should be done already in order to help save some of these at risk programs. It's common sense.

HockeyStorm

Post by HockeyStorm » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:25 pm

From my coaching days I know that the MSHSL puts the onus on the AD of each school to police this and follow the rules. They will only step in when absolutely necessary.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:31 pm

I am not saying it is right, by any means. I am just saying without a way, besides self reporting, to administer the rules the rules are pretty useless. In my area I can think of 3 schools that self reported eligibility violations and penalized themselves; Owatonna wrestling, Kasson-Mantorville wrestling, and Stewartville volleyball. I believe in all 3 cases it was the school board and not the athletic department that decided that the violations needed to be reported and punished. In one case the community, or at least a very loud minority in that community, was so upset, not that they cheated but that they reported the cheating, that the AD resigned and it was an issue in school board elections.