AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Hill Murray Pioneers
16
59%
Eden Prairie Eagles
11
41%
 
Total votes: 27

north_bear
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 pm
Location: G.R.

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by north_bear » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:30 pm

Eden prairie taken to the wood shed tonight.

Congrats Hill!!
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

hockey59
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:30 pm

Congratulations to Hill Murray. They were clearly the better team ☝️ What a game by Charlie Strobel & the entire HM Pioneers squad ...a VERY IMPRESSIVE victory 👍
Last edited by hockey59 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

raidergrad72
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by raidergrad72 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:31 pm

No goals with an empty net for 5 min.? If there weren't goalies in this game for either side Eden Prairie would've won going away! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Congratulations to HM. =D> =D> =D> Both of my picks won today.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:32 pm

Heck of a game by a Hill Murray team! Congrats on a well deserved State Championship! =D> =D> =D>

Spar and ESPG enjoy a few in celebration tonight!

East Side Pride
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sachishi4
Posts: 1178
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:15 pm
Location: SLP

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by sachishi4 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:34 pm

Pioneers pioneers!!! Let’s go!!!
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

goldy313
Posts: 3500
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by goldy313 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:40 pm

The TRME brings home both championships! the East side put the much more hyped West side to bed.

Hill Murray was fun to watch, you don’t see teams pass that well very much anymore. Lou Nannie was right on.

An old bored member coined “Championeers” when referring to Hill-Murray....I wish I could remember who it was to give credit where credit is due.

wolfman
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by wolfman » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:58 pm

I’m having dinner tonight in the great town of Hill Murray...

SEC Scotty
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:58 am
Location: East Metro

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by SEC Scotty » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Congrats Pioneers! You were the better team from the drop of the puck tonight.

kpryan88
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:06 pm

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by kpryan88 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:00 pm

I’ll be buying a couple of beers on the way back to my hotel to celebrate that win!! Glad to see the boys get it done again!!

HM class of ‘97 here.

Sparlimb
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:23 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:41 pm
I can do it, I can do it, I can do it. GO EAGLES!
Thank you so much my man. Everything had to go my teams way, and your dedication to the other teams was KEY.

Nostalgic Nerd
Posts: 1080
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:16 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:32 pm

Remember the Strobel's from the day and now their kid wins it. The '91 team I remember at Aldrich beat someone 17-2 and than beat Forest Lake in the semis 6-5 in 2 OTs. Then they were down 3-0 to Bonin's White Bear in the section finals and came back with four straight goals. I think that will forever haunt WB more than just about any game. Then at state rolled over Johnson 7-1 and Rapids 11-3. They were on fire, and then came back to beat Randolph's Duluth East 5-3 for the title.

Charlie's made quite the name for himself. Congrats Pioneers!
I can splash in the rink puddles!

Sparlimb
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:32 pm

And Lee. Believe it or not, 1 year short of our consecutive decades streak. Who would have thought. And I'll tell you this. I'm getting to the point where I wonder if I'll see another one. Every 10-15 years is a long time. Maybe one more...

Sparlimb
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:41 pm

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:32 pm
Remember the Strobel's from the day and now their kid wins it. The '91 team I remember at Aldrich beat someone 17-2 and than beat Forest Lake in the semis 6-5 in 2 OTs. Then they were down 3-0 to Bonin's White Bear in the section finals and came back with four straight goals. I think that will forever haunt WB more than just about any game. Then at state rolled over Johnson 7-1 and Rapids 11-3. They were on fire, and then came back to beat Randolph's Duluth East 5-3 for the title.

Charlie's made quite the name for himself. Congrats Pioneers!
That quarter final game against Forest Lake is legendary. I was in Aldrich that night. Hill was 17-0 all time versus Forest Lake. And we were up late in the 2nd 5-0. And the comeback started. And at once it hit 5-4. the Hill goalie was shaking in his boots. And Forest Lake came right down after goal 4 and threw it at the net and I don't think the goalie moved. It went right in. Then, somehow, the game made it to a 2nd OT. Some idiot in front of me who had been cheering FL the entire game finally said after the first OT that he was going to go sit on the FL side. I, immediately, took that to be a damn good sign. We win. We beat #1 in state, 2nd seeded in sections, Park-Cottage Grove the next game and then come back from 3-0 down against Mr. Hockey Brian Bonin and #1 ranked for most of the season WBL. And then go nuts in the first two games of the state tourney vs Johnson and Grand Rapids. In retrospect, how were Rapids and Duluth East in the same tourney? East had upset Richfield, who had one Darby Hendrickson on the team and looked really good all tournament long. I still remember the whining from the Richfield coaches as East played exactly the game I like to see. Hill somehow beats them after being down 2 goals twice to win the title. The Strobels have now cemented their names in HM lore...

Nostalgic Nerd
Posts: 1080
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:16 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:54 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:41 pm
Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:32 pm
Remember the Strobel's from the day and now their kid wins it. The '91 team I remember at Aldrich beat someone 17-2 and than beat Forest Lake in the semis 6-5 in 2 OTs. Then they were down 3-0 to Bonin's White Bear in the section finals and came back with four straight goals. I think that will forever haunt WB more than just about any game. Then at state rolled over Johnson 7-1 and Rapids 11-3. They were on fire, and then came back to beat Randolph's Duluth East 5-3 for the title.

Charlie's made quite the name for himself. Congrats Pioneers!
That quarter final game against Forest Lake is legendary. I was in Aldrich that night. Hill was 17-0 all time versus Forest Lake. And we were up late in the 2nd 5-0. And the comeback started. And at once it hit 5-4. the Hill goalie was shaking in his boots. And Forest Lake came right down after goal 4 and threw it at the net and I don't think the goalie moved. It went right in. Then, somehow, the game made it to a 2nd OT. Some idiot in front of me who had been cheering FL the entire game finally said after the first OT that he was going to go sit on the FL side. I, immediately, took that to be a damn good sign. We win. We beat #1 in state, 2nd seeded in sections, Park-Cottage Grove the next game and then come back from 3-0 down against Mr. Hockey Brian Bonin and #1 ranked for most of the season WBL. And then go nuts in the first two games of the state tourney vs Johnson and Grand Rapids. In retrospect, how were Rapids and Duluth East in the same tourney? East had upset Richfield, who had one Darby Hendrickson on the team and looked really good all tournament long. I still remember the whining from the Richfield coaches as East played exactly the game I like to see. Hill somehow beats them after being down 2 goals twice to win the title. The Strobels have now cemented their names in HM lore...
The goalie for Hill was Kevin Powell. I didn't attend but am guessing the section final was at the old Met??? Hill was so extremely close to losing that game I felt for FL. It must have been 91 or 92 and seeing Jefferson's I think JV team, maybe it was varsity, outshoot WB like 41-8 or something ridiculous. Had to been JV. Bonin would've given em more chances.

Charlie's last goal was like "Here, let me take over!" Just a power rush and blew it by him.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

goldy313
Posts: 3500
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by goldy313 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:57 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:32 pm
And Lee. Believe it or not, 1 year short of our consecutive decades streak. Who would have thought. And I'll tell you this. I'm getting to the point where I wonder if I'll see another one. Every 10-15 years is a long time. Maybe one more...

Hill Murray has benefited from extremely good coaching over the years, from Skrypek to Whistler (?), to Lechner. It wasn’t that long ago Lechner kicked some kids off the team for breaking the rules. He took a lot of heat for it and at many private schools that would have been the end of him, either the school would have gotten rid of him or the high end kids would go elsewhere. That he is still going strong is a credit to him as a leader and the school for sticking up for their standards.

Now that Lechner has retired as AD and baseball coach it is natural to wonder how long he stays as the hockey coach. Once he retires then what? STA went to a non educator as their coach and the pressure will be on to hire the next big thing.

Hopefully he stays for many years to come.

Nostalgic Nerd
Posts: 1080
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:16 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:07 pm

Is that Jason Blake's kid on EP?
I can splash in the rink puddles!

Sparlimb
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:08 pm

goldy313 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:57 pm
Sparlimb wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:32 pm
And Lee. Believe it or not, 1 year short of our consecutive decades streak. Who would have thought. And I'll tell you this. I'm getting to the point where I wonder if I'll see another one. Every 10-15 years is a long time. Maybe one more...

Hill Murray has benefited from extremely good coaching over the years, from Skrypek to Whistler (?), to Lechner. It wasn’t that long ago Lechner kicked some kids off the team for breaking the rules. He took a lot of heat for it and at many private schools that would have been the end of him, either the school would have gotten rid of him or the high end kids would go elsewhere. That he is still going strong is a credit to him as a leader and the school for sticking up for their standards.

Now that Lechner has retired as AD and baseball coach it is natural to wonder how long he stays as the hockey coach. Once he retires then what? STA went to a non educator as their coach and the pressure will be on to hire the next big thing.

Hopefully he stays for many years to come.
For a long time I missed Steve Rohlik (now head coach at Ohio St) as he did some innovative things as coach at Hill. But it was all pushing the offense and the expense of defense. And you see tonight what Lechner coaches. The forwards back checking and supporting the defense is really the way to win games. You don't blow everyone out that way, but you win against teams that have more talent. White Bear fans and us Hill guys always talk about why Lechner's teams seem to get better and why Sager's teams always seem to start so strong and fade as the year goes on. Don't ask me, I'm some stupid fan. But I like teams when I see the forwards skating hard towards the defensive zone. And getting dirty to dive in front of passes and block shots. Lechner is a good coach. And I can't imagine he's got that many year's left. But Hill was lucky to get him (he was an assistant on the 1983 undefeated team). I just like that style.

goldy313
Posts: 3500
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by goldy313 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:22 pm

Thursday night the Hill line with #7 was getting worked in the Hill end of the rink, badly. Moorhead turned the puck over and Hill went down and scored. TV showed a shot of the bench after the goal and while I am no lip reader it was pretty clear Lechner was teaching/chewing the kids out about what happened in their own end of the rink. The kids smiles disappeared quickly, then he pats them on the back at the end of the conversation. That is coaching......and respect.

WestMetro
Posts: 2906
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by WestMetro » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:23 pm

Well Done Pios ! A dominating performance !

O-townClown
Posts: 4026
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by O-townClown » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:29 pm

Trout wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:09 pm
I know where Langenbrunner and Blake are from. Where are Steeves and Busby from? How long have they been at EP?
Blake & Busby are from Eden Prairie. For Nostalgic Nerd, yes it is Jason's son.

Steeves is from New England and played last year on a very good Oakland Grizzlies 16U team. His brothers were in town tonight as well for Notre Dame.
Last edited by O-townClown on Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be kind. Rewind.

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2467
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:30 pm

Congrats Spar- I’m glad to see an old school team win it.

All is right with the world. 😎

hm88
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:18 pm

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by hm88 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:33 pm

Congrats Pioneers! A well played tourney! You made many alumni very proud!

Crusty
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:24 am

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by Crusty » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:34 pm

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:07 pm
Is that Jason Blake's kid on EP?
YES

BlueLineSpecial
Posts: 625
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 am
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!!

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:33 am

Congrats to Hill! You made all of us proud! You could just see the pride on some of these 2nd generation Pioneers, to be able to continue this tradition of excellence. To bring a championship to the Hill family is amazing. As an alum, I have many fellow Pioneers reaching out and connecting over this. Thank you guys, for giving me so much joy the last couple of weeks. =D>
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

goldy313
Posts: 3500
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: AA Championship: Hill Murray v Eden Prairie

Post by goldy313 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:46 am

This is the first tournament since 1993 I have not attended a session.....maybe aside from Grand Rapids no team has a more passionate following than Hill-Murray, generationally speaking. Unlike most west metro schools Hill-Murray people actually don’t wait until Saturday to show up......I am looking at you EP, Wayzata, Minnetonka, etc.
Last edited by goldy313 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply