Mahtomedi vs Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Mahtomedi
52%
Hermantown
48%

Total votes: 23

grindiangrad-80

Re: Mahtomedi vs Hermantown

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

It's easy to find things to complain about when it comes to sports in general. But I would have to say that Minnesota Hockey is alive and well. This game was fantastic. I didn't care who won. I just wanted to see a great game. These two teams did that.
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

So will Biondi throw his medal in the crowd lol
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

Joey Pierce looks 23 and I think there is a possibility he would have been a top six defenseman for the Gophers this year.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Bonin2121 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:52 pm Joey Pierce looks 23 and I think there is a possibility he would have been a top six defenseman for the Gophers this year.
No kidding, right!?
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Congratulations Mahtomedi ! FINALLY! Dardis no doubt the player of the tournament.
What were the SOG, more than 4-1 difference. I kinda thought the tying goal was interference by the H-town guy in the crease but in the end the hockey gods smiled on the Zephyrs.
Great game start to finish.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

I'm really happy for Mahtomedi. They played a team that would beat them 9 out of 10, but they played that 1. In the biggest game there was. The overcame a soul crushing tying goal and came back and played better in OT. I think Hermantown didn't have a lot in the tank for OT. If they had gone to a 2nd OT with a period break, I think we'd have a different champion. But Mahtomedi showed grit, held on and scored a fantastic no doubt game winner.

And did anyone else wonder about how cursed Mahtomedi has been in OT over the years? They finally got one to go there way...
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

Joe2015 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:31 am Sorry Mahtomedi but you are running into a buzzsaw today
Hawks reclaim the title 5 to 1
Ill just go "Freezing Cold Take" on myself for this one
kniven

Post by kniven »

knights58 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:44 pm Way to go Mahtomedi...What a shame...no ring for the whiny coach from Hermantown. Maybe next year you can whine your way to a ring coach.
I was just thinking that. When he talks it always sounds like he is whining. He’s thin and a tiny of a man. I don’t like him as the head coach of Hermantown.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

kniven wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:04 pm
knights58 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:44 pm Way to go Mahtomedi...What a shame...no ring for the whiny coach from Hermantown. Maybe next year you can whine your way to a ring coach.
I was just thinking that. When he talks it always sounds like he is whining. He’s thin and a tiny of a man. I don’t like him as the head coach of Hermantown.
We didn't like the last coach either.
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go Zephyrs
kniven

Post by kniven »

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:05 pm
kniven wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:04 pm

Agreed. Their coaches have held this program back the last 20 years. Too much loosing when it matters.

We didn't like the last coach either.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

Couple observations. Regarding the tying goal; although Kilen was definitely in the crease prior to the puck entering the crease, the high school rule for player in the crease is interpreted the same as NCAA and NHL. The attacking player can be in the crease as long as they don't interfere with the goaltender's ability to play his position/make a save. At the time the puck entered the crease, Dardis was already on his back and nothing about Kilen's position or actions prevented Dardis from making a save. Thus, it's a good goal.

Although I'll never wish anything intentionally bad to happen to any kid, the fact Kilen's skate blade broke to the point he had to wear brand new skates during the 3rd period and OT makes one wonder if the "Hockey Gods" aren't making their opinion known about both what the player and his family chose to do, along with how Hermantown chooses to operate their program. Also, the hit Biondi thru near the end of regulation would certainly have been liable for a 5 + 10 for Boarding in the regular season and, in the very least should've been cause for a minor penalty for Roughing in this game. Not only was it a dangerous hit due to the Mahtomedi player's distance from the boards but, he didn't even have the puck when Biondi hit him.

Finally, it was only fitting that Scott Pionk's son was probably the best overall player on the ice in that game. Would've been more strange karma had Hermantown won...the son of the only hockey affiliated person in Hermantown who truly gets why Hermantown should move up, scoring the goal that would've allowed Hermantown to get to OT and win, thus putting even more pressure on them to move up. Alas, it was not to be. :roll:
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Wise Old Man wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:18 pm Couple observations. Regarding the tying goal; although Kilen was definitely in the crease prior to the puck entering the crease, the high school rule for player in the crease is interpreted the same as NCAA and NHL. The attacking player can be in the crease as long as they don't interfere with the goaltender's ability to play his position/make a save. At the time the puck entered the crease, Dardis was already on his back and nothing about Kilen's position or actions prevented Dardis from making a save. Thus, it's a good goal.

Although I'll never wish anything intentionally bad to happen to any kid, the fact Kilen's skate blade broke to the point he had to wear brand new skates during the 3rd period and OT makes one wonder if the "Hockey Gods" aren't making their opinion known about both what the player and his family chose to do, along with how Hermantown chooses to operate their program. Also, the hit Biondi thru near the end of regulation would certainly have been liable for a 5 + 10 for Boarding in the regular season and, in the very least should've been cause for a minor penalty for Roughing in this game. Not only was it a dangerous hit due to the Mahtomedi player's distance from the boards but, he didn't even have the puck when Biondi hit him.

Finally, it was only fitting that Scott Pionk's son was probably the best overall player on the ice in that game. Would've been more strange karma had Hermantown won...the son of the only hockey affiliated person in Hermantown who truly gets why Hermantown should move up, scoring the goal that would've allowed Hermantown to get to OT and win, thus putting even more pressure on them to move up. Alas, it was not to be. :roll:
That’s what I call a GOOD post (poignant & insightful) 👍
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

Wise Old Man wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:18 pm Couple observations. Regarding the tying goal; although Kilen was definitely in the crease prior to the puck entering the crease, the high school rule for player in the crease is interpreted the same as NCAA and NHL. The attacking player can be in the crease as long as they don't interfere with the goaltender's ability to play his position/make a save. At the time the puck entered the crease, Dardis was already on his back and nothing about Kilen's position or actions prevented Dardis from making a save. Thus, it's a good goal.

I didn't see the Biondi play you're referring to as I was standing in the opposite corner.If what you're saying is correct,then H Town got away with 2 potential boarding calls there was 1 in the first period as well.
Go Zephyrs
Yoopskater

Post by Yoopskater »

The refs let them play. I have no problem with that. The Zephs got away with hooks and holds but nothing to blatant.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

One of best state tourney games in recent memory! How the Zephs had enough gas left in the OT tank to overcome that late third period Biondi/Pierce/Pionk onslaught and morale killer tying goal I will never know. I mean I knew they had some good depth this year and that Dardis was great, but it was amazing!!
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Bonin2121 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:38 pm
TheNightman wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:30 pm Biondi is kind of a punk.
He's clearly a douche. If he gets to the show he better hope he can still dominate or his big head will shrink quickly.
You know what they say, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Very thankful he and all those transfers lost today. The Hockey Gods did their job.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Yes Biondi seems to have some Brad Marchand in him. He whacked the SCC goalie a couple times yesterday too.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

It sure seems after all these years that the Hockey Gods do indeed despise the Hawks, punishing them for their poor decisions year after year.

Ya know these championship game losses are pretty fun to watch, I think they should stay in A!! Keep chasing 2nd place!
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:55 pm I'm really happy for Mahtomedi. They played a team that would beat them 9 out of 10, but they played that 1. In the biggest game there was. The overcame a soul crushing tying goal and came back and played better in OT. I think Hermantown didn't have a lot in the tank for OT. If they had gone to a 2nd OT with a period break, I think we'd have a different champion. But Mahtomedi showed grit, held on and scored a fantastic no doubt game winner.

And did anyone else wonder about how cursed Mahtomedi has been in OT over the years? They finally got one to go there way...
Spar unbelievable great win by Maht. Helluva game by both teams. Hermatown brought everything at Dardis. Well deserved by Maht, great coaching, great program. Happy for coach Poeschel well deserved.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

WestMetro wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:58 pm One of best state tourney games in recent memory! How the Zephs had enough gas left in the OT tank to overcome that late third period Biondi/Pierce/Pionk onslaught and morale killer tying goal I will never know. I mean I knew they had some good depth this year and that Dardis was great, but it was amazing!!
Right on Westy! Holy Moly what a goalie and rope a dope team that could will an OT knock out win was epic fun to watch!!
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

pekyman wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:28 am There going to need more than a feeling
Otherwise I see my Hermantown walkin’ away

No way is this runnin’ with the devil

:lol:
Thought you had it in the bag eh Perky? Warrroad got knocked off so the Lake Superior Stars All Star team get the auto win? You didn’t account for the Hockey Gods. They are strong and they pull the strings. Where are you now?
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

Congrats to mahtomedi and what a win!!!

In regards to Hermantown, it is becoming comedic with the teams that did not win the big one. I still can’t believe it. The karma police is working at all times.

This may have been mentioned in other posts but did anyone else listen to Hermantown coach on 45 after the SCC fight as well as interview on Beyond The Pond this morning? What coach says what he said? My jaw dropped! What a punk program. The hated is well deserved.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

50in15 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:36 am Congrats to mahtomedi and what a win!!!

In regards to Hermantown, it is becoming comedic with the teams that did not win the big one. I still can’t believe it. The karma police is working at all times.

This may have been mentioned in other posts but did anyone else listen to Hermantown coach on 45 after the SCC fight as well as interview on Beyond The Pond this morning? What coach says what he said? My jaw dropped! What a punk program. The hated is well deserved.
Typical Hermantown philosophy that someone else started the battle so they need to fight back! Even though if you watch, after every whistle Hermantown is getting an extra jab/slash in but when roles are reversed, look out!
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

Mahtomedi you recruit and won you better opt up to AA.
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!