Can we please bring back on-ice cheerleaders?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

Can we please bring back on-ice cheerleaders?

Post by O-townClown »

Reviewing some state tournament history just now I found the old programs had a section for hockey cheerleaders. The tournament has it all: great games, big student sections, great bands, a killer venue. All, except for cheerleaders.

Wouldn't it be great to have them again? (Maybe I'm missing something and it is just a colossal nuisance.)
Be kind. Rewind.
raidergrad72

Re: Can we please bring back on-ice cheerleaders?

Post by raidergrad72 »

I've noticed that for the most part it's the out state teams that have the cheerleaders. Very few TC teams do. Maybe they can't find enough kids to make up a team.
I know Grand Rapids & Greenway have them.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

O-townClown wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:23 pm Reviewing some state tournament history just now I found the old programs had a section for hockey cheerleaders. The tournament has it all: great games, big student sections, great bands, a killer venue. All, except for cheerleaders.

Wouldn't it be great to have them again? (Maybe I'm missing something and it is just a colossal nuisance.)
Great observation O-town sorely missed at the festive event we call State. Sad to see the trend towards cheer teams dwindle down to 1 or 2 teams a year :(
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

The best years seem to be behind us...

Way fewer stories between periods on 45 and it would be great to see the short school pride videos again... Bring the hype/life back to the biggest high school event in the country!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

All the rink girls are playing HS hockey , why would they cheerlead ?

As much as I remember those days , I’m happier fitting in some girls hockey games every year and watching that tournament too . That Andover win over Edina was as good as it gets

Two Roseau HS hockey girls were right next to us at the X all week . They were running circles around us commenting what was going on on the ice . Can’t imagine them cheerleading
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Since the MSHSL recognizes dance as a sport cheerleaders have almost disappeared. Most football games I do no longer have cheerleaders, that is football with 600 schools! My school district now letters figure skaters.....why cheerlead when you can letter for never showing up at a high school event? Or having to preform n front of more than 8 people?
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

MrBoDangles wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:17 pm The best years seem to be behind us...

Way fewer stories between periods on 45 and it would be great to see the short school pride videos again... Bring the hype/life back to the biggest high school event in the country!
Why tell a story from the past when you can squeeze in another PolyMet ad?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Joe2015 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:47 amWhy tell a story from the past when you can squeeze in another PolyMet ad?
They're resourceful
Be kind. Rewind.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I hope the Gophers never do away with their cheerleaders. Their routines and the way they can skate are awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/BTN/videos/241672096720269/
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

MNHockeyFan wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:35 amI hope the Gophers never do away with their cheerleaders. Their routines and the way they can skate are awesome.
Yeah, that's kind of the next level past the next level from what I remember about HS hockey cheerleaders! Very impressive.
Be kind. Rewind.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

WestMetro wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:01 pm All the rink girls are playing HS hockey , why would they cheerlead ?

As much as I remember those days , I’m happier fitting in some girls hockey games every year and watching that tournament too . That Andover win over Edina was as good as it gets

Two Roseau HS hockey girls were right next to us at the X all week . They were running circles around us commenting what was going on on the ice . Can’t imagine them cheerleading
Well, there's truth in that. But it would seem that a behemoth like Eden Prairie Stillwater would have a dozen girls or guys willing to cheer. Not even 2% of the girls in the school are on the hockey team.
Hockey Is For Everyone
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:51 am
WestMetro wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:01 pm All the rink girls are playing HS hockey , why would they cheerlead ?

Well, there's truth in that. But it would seem that a behemoth like Eden Prairie Stillwater would have a dozen girls or guys willing to cheer. Not even 2% of the girls in the school are on the hockey team.
Yeah, I would think that if Greenway and Eveleth can muster up six girls who are capable enough skaters to edge out on an ice sheet and wave some pompoms, a big suburban school can also.(Most NE MN schools still have cheerleaders at every home game, and some like Rapids even take them on the road.) I don't know enough about cheerleading overall...is it actually in decline? Or is it turning into an activity that focuses more on winning certain competitions than actually, you know, leading cheers? It seems odd that an activity designed with a clear purpose is not fulfilling said purpose.
defense

Post by defense »

I think the evolution of girl's sports has played a role in cheering's decline
Otter Hockey Rocks