2019-20 Season Recap

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

2019-20 Season Recap

Post by O-townClown »

Another great season of Minnesota HS hockey is in the books and it was another fun one.

Best atmosphere – Section 3AA final when Burnsville faced St. Thomas. Braemar is the perfect venue for this game, as it fills up to near capacity. The Cadets brought their live band and each team was backed by a healthy student section. How vocal were they, chanting back and forth? An adult next to me was complaining because the kids were too loud and never lost their verve. On-ice the combatants didn’t disappoint, with St. Thomas squeaking by 2-0 after an empty netter over a team that sadly never had even a grain of puck luck.

Favorite team to watch – Easy. For me it was Blake. Great team speed, effective puck movement from their top line, and an elite HS player in Joe Miller. I’ll take Dexheimer & Svenddal as the equal of any D pair in the state. Reid was excellent in his third year as the Bears goalie. I saw them look very good (3rd at State, come from behind road win over E.P., dusted Edina 5-1 in Sections) and I saw them off their game (close road loss to Burnsville, pummeled by Hill-Murray at home). Always enjoyable.

Most likeable team – Burnsville. Senior laden, products of their community’s youth program, some excellent HS players that don’t get much attention. Oh, and an incredible story as their goaltender battled through some serious health stuff late in the season and still nearly carried the Blazing Braves to State.

Most prescient observation – Seated next to a HS Varsity goalie from that side of town watching the sold-out Section 4AA final from Aldrich, he offered an evaluation of a fellow goaltender. “I really like Dardis,” I replied, who I had seen a year before in that building as a freshman when Mahtomedi tied Hill-Murray 2-2.

Favorite player to watch – If my son were playing on one rink and Cretin was on the other, I’d be watching Matt Gleason. He plays like every kid from my generation at the park. Skate until you are tired, then somehow not be so tired whenever you get the puck. Of course he’s way better, but you get the point. Sophomore on Varsity, Elite League games, this season…he always played the same way and was an absolute joy.

Best venue – If someone can get the City of Edina to switch concessions to Coca-Cola it will be perfect. Braemar is tradition-rich, yet somehow not dated. Didn’t get enough hockey? State Bantam tournament is there this weekend. Honorable mentions to Aldrich and the big wooden arches at Burnsville and Blake. All great places to catch a game.

Ubiquitous presence – I believe Danny Ryan was at every game I caught this year except two. Bravo, wise one.

Best luck charm – Me. I saw Hill-Murray torch Blake, where they scored the running-time goal in the final minute. Watched the Pioneers give up zero scoring chances in two games when they shut out Edina 2-0 & 3-0 on consecutive nights. Was there when they battled back from two goals down to nudge their principal rival in the Section final. In Xcel all three nights as they ran over Moorhead and Eden Prairie en route to the state title. Only slight blemish under my watch was when I wandered from the main sheet at St. Louis Park over Christmas Break on the icy morning to catch a few minutes of their OT tie with St. Michael-Albertville. Someone’s going to have to tell me how they lost a handful of games this year because I sure didn’t seen anything to give me an impression they aren’t really undefeated!

Classiest Class Act – Mark Manney. I’m not saying anything you don’t know already, but it was refreshing to see him up close.

Silliest Complaint – I’ve heard from many people they don’t like seeing Kevin Reiter and Rod Braceful at games and/or talking with players and families. Sorry, if the National Team guys didn’t make an effort to watch players from Minnesota I’m certain the same people would complain about that. This is the State of Hockey. Attracting interest beyond the borders is recognition things are being done right.

Missed – What happened to the DJ in the corner for Eden Prairie games?

Anonymously Brilliant – The Gentry Galaxy 16U has completed another remarkable season. They go to school in Vadnais Heights, but unfortunately don’t play school hockey. Ineligible for USA Hockey Nationals, their high point was winning the NAPHL playoffs. It’s too bad more don’t get to see them, even though they are as heavily scouted as any team in North America. They play hockey the right way. Impressive even though diluted after losing two players to the NTDP. I’ve never seen a player improve more year-over-year than Connor Kurth. Traditionalists scoff, which I attribute to being blissfully unaware. Anyone who has seen them play leaves impressed, and I say that having seen them lose twice this year and tie Shattuck as a 15 team last season.

Group of Death – Has any AA Section ever had 4 of the Top 8 teams as measured by PageStat!? Section 6AA playoffs were similar to the state tournament games. Saturday at BIG was great. As I recall the Benilde-Blake finale from Mariucci was as well.

Surprise – Seeing how last year’s top Bantam players didn’t struggle and in many cases were leaders on strong Varsity teams.
Be kind. Rewind.
WestMetro

Re: 2019-20 Season Recap

Post by WestMetro »

OTC you cover a lot of territory there , much of which I agree with , well done !

But didn’t you forget the best senior citizen group
of regular fans, story still scrolling high after a week ! Who can disagree with Loren Nelson ?

https://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/1091221
Blue Line

Post by Blue Line »

O-townClown wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:13 pm Another great season of Minnesota HS hockey is in the books and it was another fun one.

Best atmosphere – Section 3AA final when Burnsville faced St. Thomas. Braemar is the perfect venue for this game, as it fills up to near capacity. The Cadets brought their live band and each team was backed by a healthy student section. How vocal were they, chanting back and forth? An adult next to me was complaining because the kids were too loud and never lost their verve. On-ice the combatants didn’t disappoint, with St. Thomas squeaking by 2-0 after an empty netter over a team that sadly never had even a grain of puck luck.

Favorite team to watch – Easy. For me it was Blake. Great team speed, effective puck movement from their top line, and an elite HS player in Joe Miller. I’ll take Dexheimer & Svenddal as the equal of any D pair in the state. Reid was excellent in his third year as the Bears goalie. I saw them look very good (3rd at State, come from behind road win over E.P., dusted Edina 5-1 in Sections) and I saw them off their game (close road loss to Burnsville, pummeled by Hill-Murray at home). Always enjoyable.

Most likeable team – Burnsville. Senior laden, products of their community’s youth program, some excellent HS players that don’t get much attention. Oh, and an incredible story as their goaltender battled through some serious health stuff late in the season and still nearly carried the Blazing Braves to State.

Most prescient observation – Seated next to a HS Varsity goalie from that side of town watching the sold-out Section 4AA final from Aldrich, he offered an evaluation of a fellow goaltender. “I really like Dardis,” I replied, who I had seen a year before in that building as a freshman when Mahtomedi tied Hill-Murray 2-2.

Favorite player to watch – If my son were playing on one rink and Cretin was on the other, I’d be watching Matt Gleason. He plays like every kid from my generation at the park. Skate until you are tired, then somehow not be so tired whenever you get the puck. Of course he’s way better, but you get the point. Sophomore on Varsity, Elite League games, this season…he always played the same way and was an absolute joy.

Best venue – If someone can get the City of Edina to switch concessions to Coca-Cola it will be perfect. Braemar is tradition-rich, yet somehow not dated. Didn’t get enough hockey? State Bantam tournament is there this weekend. Honorable mentions to Aldrich and the big wooden arches at Burnsville and Blake. All great places to catch a game.

Ubiquitous presence – I believe Danny Ryan was at every game I caught this year except two. Bravo, wise one.

Best luck charm – Me. I saw Hill-Murray torch Blake, where they scored the running-time goal in the final minute. Watched the Pioneers give up zero scoring chances in two games when they shut out Edina 2-0 & 3-0 on consecutive nights. Was there when they battled back from two goals down to nudge their principal rival in the Section final. In Xcel all three nights as they ran over Moorhead and Eden Prairie en route to the state title. Only slight blemish under my watch was when I wandered from the main sheet at St. Louis Park over Christmas Break on the icy morning to catch a few minutes of their OT tie with St. Michael-Albertville. Someone’s going to have to tell me how they lost a handful of games this year because I sure didn’t seen anything to give me an impression they aren’t really undefeated!

Classiest Class Act – Mark Manney. I’m not saying anything you don’t know already, but it was refreshing to see him up close.

Silliest Complaint – I’ve heard from many people they don’t like seeing Kevin Reiter and Rod Braceful at games and/or talking with players and families. Sorry, if the National Team guys didn’t make an effort to watch players from Minnesota I’m certain the same people would complain about that. This is the State of Hockey. Attracting interest beyond the borders is recognition things are being done right.

Missed – What happened to the DJ in the corner for Eden Prairie games?

Anonymously Brilliant – The Gentry Galaxy 16U has completed another remarkable season. They go to school in Vadnais Heights, but unfortunately don’t play school hockey. Ineligible for USA Hockey Nationals, their high point was winning the NAPHL playoffs. It’s too bad more don’t get to see them, even though they are as heavily scouted as any team in North America. They play hockey the right way. Impressive even though diluted after losing two players to the NTDP. I’ve never seen a player improve more year-over-year than Connor Kurth. Traditionalists scoff, which I attribute to being blissfully unaware. Anyone who has seen them play leaves impressed, and I say that having seen them lose twice this year and tie Shattuck as a 15 team last season.

Group of Death – Has any AA Section ever had 4 of the Top 8 teams as measured by PageStat!? Section 6AA playoffs were similar to the state tournament games. Saturday at BIG was great. As I recall the Benilde-Blake finale from Mariucci was as well.

Surprise – Seeing how last year’s top Bantam players didn’t struggle and in many cases were leaders on strong Varsity teams.
Great write up. Mark Manney is the classiest of class acts.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Here's another category:

Most Satisfying Servings of Karma-To the two upperclassmen who ditched their lifelong teammates and transferred to already stacked teams, only to come up short in both the A and AA title games. =D>
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

Great post.

I totally agree with you on Blake. They are so unselfish and well-coached. The Benilde game is a prime example. Every time Benilde made a push, Blake refused to panic and got back to their style. I truly hope Miller comes back next year. Kind of like Gleason this year - Minnesota HIgh School hockey would be better for it. Not matter what he chooses, he has a fan in me for the rest of his career.

Best Regular Season Game (that I saw)
Andover 5, Rosemount 4 at the SLP Holiday tournament. A back and forth battle that featured skill, checking, and goaltending. At the time I thought it might be a state semis preview.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Beginning to sink in how close we were to no state tournament for Boys hockey! Everything since that weekend has been cancelled or postponed. Those memories for me are the last sporting event before the turmoil.
Be kind. Rewind.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Yeah , it was razor thin, within half a week or so

Seems like all the metro CV cases so far except a few were tied to foreign travel

Half the people I ran into at the X had some kind of winter crud , that time of year
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

rainier2 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:00 am Here's another category:

Most Satisfying Servings of Karma-To the two upperclassmen who ditched their lifelong teammates and transferred to already stacked teams, only to come up short in both the A and AA title games. =D>
=D> =D> =D>
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

savage, but true, rainier2
Play Like a Champion Today