Minnesota Hockey state tournaments

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Minnesota Hockey state tournaments

Post by elliott70 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:21 am

MH state tourneys will continue but caution is advised.

MH Releases Updated Statement Amidst Growing Coronavirus Concerns

With the growing concern associated with the spread of the coronavirus (COVID19), Minnesota Hockey is making the following recommendations regarding this weekend’s State Tournaments:
All banquets should be cancelled or modified so that close person-to-person contact is extremely limited
All fans attending games should be immediate family members only, and should refrain from standing too close to other spectators
All arenas should make the necessary adjustments to provide enough sanitizing products, and safe food-handling procedures at concession stands
It is recommended that any player or spectator who has concerns about participation in these events stay home and take every possible step to be safe in these uncertain times
All games that are currently scheduled are on at this point. However, we will continue to monitor the recommendations from the Minnesota Department of Health and their updates on their Coronavirus page. In this rapidly changing situation, all participants should be prepared for the possibility that games may be cancelled at any time, up to, and including Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
Minnesota Hockey values the safety of our members above all else, and we also ask that everyone respect the recommendations to our players and participants that were provided earlier this week, including:
Handshake lines before or after games should include fist bumps with gloves on. Coaches are also encouraged to refrain from shaking hands with other coaches and officials, and instead offer verbal congratulations and words of encouragement.
Practice frequent and meticulous hand-washing with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub
Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
Cover your nose and mouth when coughing and/or sneezing with a tissue or flexed elbow
Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
Quarantine anyone who is sick (players, coaches, parents, roommates)
Ensure safe food sources; thoroughly cook meat and eggs
Use individual water bottles; do not share them
Towels should not be shared in any way

TTpuckster

Re: Minnesota Hockey state tournaments

Post by TTpuckster » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks Elliott =D>
What is a Green Wave anyway?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 am

GO EGF - PEEWEES AND BANTAMS

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:30 pm

NBA, NHL seasons postponed. March madness cancelled. Concerts and events rescheduled. Venues shutting down. It occurred to me while watching the craziness unfold today that we probably avoided a cancelled state hockey tournament by 1 week.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:31 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:30 pm
NBA, NHL seasons postponed. March madness cancelled. Concerts and events rescheduled. Venues shutting down. It occurred to me while watching the craziness unfold today that we probably avoided a cancelled state hockey tournament by 1 week.
BINGO...they/we were extremely fortunate the tournament was played and completed in a normal fashion =D> 👍

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:25 pm

It did occur to me a few times last weekend that I should be grateful we were able to have the tournament when we did. Especially when we won the whole dang thing.
Hockey Is For Everyone

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 am

I am surprised MN Hockey didn't cancel State Tournaments. Considering all of the other events that have been cancelled, I would think MN Hockey would follow that lead. While I understand the professional leagues like NHL, NBA, MLB and NCAA are much larger venues with many more in attendance, the USHL, NAHL and USA Hockey Nationals have all been cancelled as well. I would suspect the later are similar sized venues with about the same if not less fans in attendance.

Below is from guidance from MN Hockey:
"All banquets should be cancelled or modified so that close person-to-person contact is extremely limited"

I know of at least two banquets that were held last night. From a video I watched, the players were all sitting together shoulder to shoulder at the same table and several players on stage right next to each other. Putting 200+ people in the same room with a "buffet" is irresponsible in my opinion. A parent of a player told me, his team wasn't attending, but would still have to pay because of fixed costs. REALLY?

I do understand how big of a deal it is to play in state tournament, but it appears to me the decision to not cancel was revenue based and not in the interest of safety of participants, parents, officials, and the general public.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:22 am

WIAA (Wisconsin) just canceled all of their state tournaments, including the in-progress girls basketball tournament. WAHA (Wisconsin Youth Hockey) just canceled their remaining youth tournaments. Bantams played last weekend, but PeeWee's were set to start today.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:37 am

cancelled

Falcon_hockey

Post by Falcon_hockey » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:38 am

Minnesota Hockey Cancels all 2020 State Tournaments.

https://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_ar ... ow/1095325

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:17 pm

Falcon_hockey wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:38 am

:(

I understand it, but still feel for all the players, a tough day.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:07 pm

Agree, very tough decision but the right decision. Yes, feel very bad for all those that have worked so hard to get there. Tough decisions are never easy, that is why they are hard.

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:10 pm

Cancelled or postponed? What if the outbreak is under control after the weekend or later, would they still run the tourneys the next weekend or just flat out cancelled?

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:11 pm

StanleyCup55 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:10 pm
Cancelled or postponed? What if the outbreak is under control after the weekend, would they still run the tourneys the next weekend or just flat out cancelled?
Hopefully high school baseball and softball seasons still in play....
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:11 pm

StanleyCup55 wrote:
Cancelled or postponed? What if the outbreak is under control after the weekend or later, would they still run the tourneys the next weekend or just flat out cancelled?
Canceled

WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:28 pm

StanleyCup55 wrote:
It won't be under control in a short period. The whole reason a lot of the delays are two weeks to a month is because that is how long the virus can continue to be transmitted once someone is infected. The US is testing 1000 people a day, which is 5% the number South Korea is able to test right now. The focus right now is on making sure we can actually get the 1000s of people that are likely infected tested so we can control it.

My wife works in hospitals and people are coming in with all the symptoms and need to be tested, but they just have to tell them to go home and stay away from people because we don't have enough tests to even confirm and slow the spread right now.

jdh

Post by jdh » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:15 pm

Falcon_hockey wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:38 am

Just when the Hopkins and De la Salles teams were about to add two more 1st Places to their trophy cases.