7AA 2020-2021

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

InThePipes

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by InThePipes » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:48 am

Joe2015 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:41 am
elliott70 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:56 am
Section 7AA - North Standings (QRF Seeded - 3/16)
QRF Rank Seed Team (QRF) Section Overall For Agst Streak
No. 3 Grand Rapids (74.3) 3-0-0 5-0-0 3.8 0.4 Won 5
No. 29 Duluth East (41.0) 2-1-0 3-1-1 3.2 1.8 Won 1
No. 45 C-E-C (26.1) 1-3-0 4-4-0 3.3 2.6 Won 1
No. 58 Duluth Marshall (14.6) 0-2-0 1-3-2 1.3 2.8 Lost 1

Section 7AA - South Standings (QRF Seeded - 3/16)
QRF Rank Seed Team (QRF) Section Overall For Agst Streak
No. 5 Andover (70.9) 2-0-0 6-1-0 6.1 2.1 Lost 1
No. 17 Forest Lake (55.3) 0-0-0 6-1-0 4.3 1.6 Won 1
No. 31 Elk River/Zimmerman (40.2) 1-1-0 4-3-0 6.0 4.4 Won 3
No. 56 Anoka (15.7) 0-2-0 1-6-0 2.7 4.6 Lost 2
So the playoffs are divided into north and south this season? Is this a Covid adjustment or was this already a planned change?
I think it's Covid related.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:08 am

It’s due to covid should go back to “normal” next year.

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:41 am

TheNightman wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:50 pm
What's the story with the Pilkenton kid for Rapids? He's from Andover?
Funny, the GR guys I work with on occasion never mentioned this. I was under the assumption this kid was on of the JV team the last two years. Not going to get a lot of playing time with Clafton in front of you.

Little disappointed to see they may have gone the recruiting route (if that's what happened) on the new senior goalie. I know they will get younger families moving over there for hockey program, but I can't recall the last time they had someone move in as an upper classmen. I have always had the sense they are a build from within program.

Heading to Lake of the Woods ice fishing for a couple days...I will try and get more info when I get back to work

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:00 am

ironranger2 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:41 am
TheNightman wrote:
Funny, the GR guys I work with on occasion never mentioned this. I was under the assumption this kid was on of the JV team the last two years. Not going to get a lot of playing time with Clafton in front of you.

Little disappointed to see they may have gone the recruiting route (if that's what happened) on the new senior goalie. I know they will get younger families moving over there for hockey program, but I can't recall the last time they had someone move in as an upper classmen. I have always had the sense they are a build from within program.

Heading to Lake of the Woods ice fishing for a couple days...I will try and get more info when I get back to work
From my source, family has a cabin in GR (presumably Pokegama). Pilkenton was unhappy with the decisions made at Andover last year in terms of goalies taken on the varsity team, so family moved to cabin in GR.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:11 am

bardown27 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:00 am
ironranger2 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:41 am
TheNightman wrote:

From my source, family has a cabin in GR (presumably Pokegama). Pilkenton was unhappy with the decisions made at Andover last year in terms of goalies taken on the varsity team, so family moved to cabin in GR.
Interesting, thanks for the tip.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:28 am

Adds some intrigue to a potential 7AA final.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:13 am

7AA thread not even on the first page of the forum?! Blasphemy!

Covid got ya down? Or lack of kniven keeping things interesting?

Anyway, Andover is having a nicer season than I think most folks thought. Trying to avenge last year's disappointment?

What's the latest section QRF?
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:42 am

Andover was the number seed going into state tournament last year but I would say, last year was a success for the Andover program on making the state tournament for the first time in school history. Grand Rapids probably has the bad taste in the mouth after that ugly Elk River Loss and never getting that shot at Andover in the finals.

This year, Andover is as good as I thought they would be, but Grand Rapids is still the favorite and the way QRF is as of today the section runs through the IRA and Grand Rapids unless GR stumbles down the stretch, They are the overall one seed. The East game was a concern but kids are kids and they were most likely looking past a weak Grey hound team because of Hermantown. I think they would not make that mistake again if East makes it to the semifinals at the IRA.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:49 am

Edinahopkins wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:42 am
Andover was the number seed going into state tournament last year but I would say, last year was a success for the Andover program on making the state tournament for the first time in school history. Grand Rapids probably has the bad taste in the mouth after that ugly Elk River Loss and never getting that shot at Andover in the finals.

This year, Andover is as good as I thought they would be, but Grand Rapids is still the favorite and the way QRF is as of today the section runs through the IRA and Grand Rapids unless GR stumbles down the stretch, They are the overall one seed. The East game was a concern but kids are kids and they were most likely looking past a weak Grey hound team because of Hermantown. I think they would not make that mistake again if East makes it to the semifinals at the IRA.
Agree that it was a program success for last year's Andover team but when you're the unanimous number 1 team all year and you lose in the quarters it's a pretty big disappointment. I just wasn't thinking they would be a top ten team after losing all the seniors but here we are.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:15 am

With Duluth East season sadly coming to a tough end like this, I would imagine Grand Rapids has a bye in the first round.

Duluth_Topper

Post by Duluth_Topper » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:11 pm

Edinahopkins wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:15 am
With Duluth East season sadly coming to a tough end like this, I would imagine Grand Rapids has a bye in the first round.
The interesting thing is the kid in question played both JV and Varsity shifts against Hermantown this week. Then last night after the 1st period of the Cloquet/Hermantown JV game it was abruptly canceled due to the East kid playing against the Hermantown JV. But he also played varsity against Hermantown, but the Hermantown Varsity team played the complete game against Cloquet.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:46 pm

Duluth_Topper wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:11 pm
Edinahopkins wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:15 am
The interesting thing is the kid in question played both JV and Varsity shifts against Hermantown this week. Then last night after the 1st period of the Cloquet/Hermantown JV game it was abruptly canceled due to the East kid playing against the Hermantown JV. But he also played varsity against Hermantown, but the Hermantown Varsity team played the complete game against Cloquet.
There is a bit of debate happening as to whether the East kid actually played or even suited up for the varsity game against Hermantown. I know there are plenty of people saying they saw him there and on the bench, possibly even playing a shift or two, but there is also evidence that he did not. I was not there, and would not even be able to argue one way or the other if I was since I don't know who the kid is (mind you, I don't want to know who he is either). I would think, if he was a part of the varsity game on Monday, the CEC varsity game would have been canceled as well. I would also assume that the officials involved would have communicated with official participants, such as coaches, AD's, etc. to determine what actually did happen.

To me, it is starting to sound like there might be people out there that are interested in seeing more than just one northland team have their season come to an end. Just my opinion.

I have also heard, if no other teams have to end their seasons, that Grand Rapids would have a bye and CEC and Duluth Marshall would compete to face the Thunderhawks.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Schotzy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:46 pm

To me, it is starting to sound like there might be people out there that are interested in seeing more than just one northland team have their season come to an end. Just my opinion.

I agree that it's starting to sound like that, not just on the Forum but on other social media outlets too, really? Nevermind, rhetorical question, it's the world today.

We are talking about prematurely ending a season for a bunch of 15-18 year old kids, for some their final season ever, over a positive test result on an opponent. I don't care what program it is that's impacted or whose ox was gored by them in the past, this is a terrible situation to put the cherry on top of a disastrous 12 months, in particular for the youth of our state.

HHawks4Ever

Post by HHawks4Ever » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:14 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:57 pm
Schotzy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:46 pm

I agree that it's starting to sound like that, not just on the Forum but on other social media outlets too, really? Nevermind, rhetorical question, it's the world today.

We are talking about prematurely ending a season for a bunch of 15-18 year old kids, for some their final season ever, over a positive test result on an opponent. I don't care what program it is that's impacted or whose ox was gored by them in the past, this is a terrible situation to put the cherry on top of a disastrous 12 months, in particular for the youth of our state.
Wait, so Duluth East taking out Zam Plante with a dirty hit wasn't enough and now people are hoping they also transmitted covid to them? Talk about class. I completely agree with your comments, InThePipes.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:49 pm

InThePipes wrote:

Totally. Somebody posted that they want Jackson Blake to be ineligible for postseason. Egads, what leads people to such despair.

Hopefully every kid and every team plays. That's what competition is about.
Be kind. Rewind.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:14 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:49 pm
InThePipes wrote:

Totally. Somebody posted that they want Jackson Blake to be ineligible for postseason. Egads, what leads people to such despair.

Re-read that post. The person said that if Roed is ineligible for the postseason, then Blake should be as well given that the two returned from juniors at about the same time. I don’t see that as wishing ill will upon a particular player, but more holding programs to the same standards. (Presumably Blake returned just before the deadline, which Roed missed by two days.)

Similarly, teams who have been exposed to Covid are expected to enter quarantine. The debate is whether Hermantown varsity was actually exposed; if so, they should follow the same protocols as everyone else. The cancellation of the Gentry game further fuels speculation of Covid exposure, because that decision was not made until the last minute. The explanation from the Hermantown Twitter account was as follows:

“In the interest of keeping all players from Hermantown and Gentry healthy as both our teams head into playoffs, tonight’s game between our two teams has been cancelled.”

To me, that sure sounds like Gentry not wanting to risk possible exposure after East had to shut down their season. Look, I don’t want to see Hermantown have to also shut down by any means, but by the same token everyone should be held to the same standards.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:30 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:14 pm
O-townClown wrote:
InThePipes wrote:

Re-read that post. The person said that if Roed is ineligible for the postseason, then Blake should be as well given that the two returned from juniors at about the same time. I don’t see that as wishing ill will upon a particular player, but more holding programs to the same standards. (Presumably Blake returned just before the deadline, which Roed missed by two days.)

Similarly, teams who have been exposed to Covid are expected to enter quarantine. The debate is whether Hermantown varsity was actually exposed; if so, they should follow the same protocols as everyone else. The cancellation of the Gentry game further fuels speculation of Covid exposure, because that decision was not made until the last minute. The explanation from the Hermantown Twitter account was as follows:

“In the interest of keeping all players from Hermantown and Gentry healthy as both our teams head into playoffs, tonight’s game between our two teams has been cancelled.”

To me, that sure sounds like Gentry not wanting to risk possible exposure after East had to shut down their season. Look, I don’t want to see Hermantown have to also shut down by any means, but by the same token everyone should be held to the same standards.
It does not matter as long as Breck gets beat in the section quarters.
And STA never wins another game.
And...

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:45 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:30 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
O-townClown wrote:

It does not matter as long as Breck gets beat in the section quarters.
And STA never wins another game.
And...
Yeah, I should know better than to wander into these types of debates, and have managed to steer clear of it for pretty much the whole season to this point.

But if Breck does flame out in the section quarter, I’m holding you responsible for that curse, my friend :wink:

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:39 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
O-townClown wrote:
InThePipes wrote:

Agree completely with you Stang. To be clear, no one should be “rooting” for teams to be knocked out of the playoffs due to Covid. As much as I disagree with Hermantown staying in Class A, I believe they do a great job of developing their players and, that’s true of both their youth and high school programs. Also, unlike a different Duluth area school, they rarely if ever move kids up early from Bantams.

As for the possible eligibility issues with Blake and Roed, those rules should be applied exactly the same for every team and player. Unfortunately, not everyone approaches these situations with the same level of integrity.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:28 pm

Stang,
Curse is worse
If I cheer for them.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:06 pm

Stang5280 wrote:

Re-read that post. The person said that if Roed is ineligible for the postseason, then Blake should be as well
Personally I'd like to see all kids eligible. Wishing a kid to not play is really weird to me. Jackson Blake missed about half of last season. Rules are rules. I get that. I'm not supposed to enforce them; I just like hockey. Someone wants Blake to be ineligible again? WTH

"Kid fell outside the rules and won't be eligible!"

"Well I hope other kids are ineligible then!"

Seriously, that's really bad form. Competition is about playing the best. Lee Westwood handled last week's runner-up with grace and is paired on Sunday with BDC. While I'd get a chuckle if he drove it in 14 divots, nobody should actually want that.

My reaction upon hearing Roed is (I'm told) ineligible? Wow, that's really too bad.
Be kind. Rewind.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:46 am

O-townClown wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:06 pm
Stang5280 wrote:

Re-read that post. The person said that if Roed is ineligible for the postseason, then Blake should be as well
Personally I'd like to see all kids eligible. Wishing a kid to not play is really weird to me. Jackson Blake missed about half of last season. Rules are rules. I get that. I'm not supposed to enforce them; I just like hockey. Someone wants Blake to be ineligible again? WTH

"Kid fell outside the rules and won't be eligible!"

"Well I hope other kids are ineligible then!"

Seriously, that's really bad form. Competition is about playing the best. Lee Westwood handled last week's runner-up with grace and is paired on Sunday with BDC. While I'd get a chuckle if he drove it in 14 divots, nobody should actually want that.

My reaction upon hearing Roed is (I'm told) ineligible? Wow, that's really too bad.
I couldn't agree more.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:50 pm

So long old friend...

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:37 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:50 pm
So long old friend...
What exactly are you referencing?

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:39 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:50 pm
So long old friend...
It's been fun watching the Elks in 7AA. Good luck going back to your "old roots" in 8AA!

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006