US WHL Draft

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Re: US WHL Draft

Post by WestMetro »

The one comment I have . I think the new separate USA draft gives us regular civilians a much clearer picture of the scouts view of Minn Bantam talent rankings . Helps me understand who to watch more closely in the upcoming years.
farmtown55

Post by farmtown55 »

WestMetro wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:45 am The one comment I have . I think the new separate USA draft gives us regular civilians a much clearer picture of the scouts view of Minn Bantam talent rankings . Helps me understand who to watch more closely in the upcoming years.
I spoke to one local Whl scout and asked him if that many California kids (18) were really better than so many not drafted MN kids. MN had 12 drafted, and IMO some very talented players were not taken, while the LA JR Kings had 6 from their team alone taken. Scout said there is absolutely no way those kids are better, but unfortunately MN kids still have that stigma of not willing to go the WHL route. The 12 drafted MN kids and several others like, Jake Fisher, Ashton Dahms, William Whitelaw, Joey Sylvester, Joe Gramer to name a few are all worth following over the next several years. This is a very good birth year for MN hockey.
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

So is the Sawchyn kid planning to go WHL despite moving to MN?

Best 05 in the state?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Can anybody name one kid that has been better off because they lived the Dub Life?

All I see are what one very knowledgeable guy privately calls “dead bodies” because it’s an accelerated rush to ECHL hockey.

I wish everyone well but do not see the appeal.
Be kind. Rewind.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Can anybody name one kid that has been better off because they lived the Dub Life?
Yes, but I won't name names, kids who struggle with school and are challenged with learning disabilities that make college a very risky venture. They take advantage of scholarship monies earned by playing in the Dub to have an opportunity to get a trade school paid for when hockey ends for them. GB
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

GoldenBear wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:27 pmYes...kids who struggle with school
I totally understand the Major Junior route when placing hockey on the front burner. A friend's son is playing in Canada now and I've purposely avoided talking to him because I'm afraid something I'll say will be offensive.

Yeah, I get it why Canadian kids want to play for the Memorial Cup. American kids?
Be kind. Rewind.
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

The standard WHL Bantam Draft was the other day, and apparently Americans are still drafted there too? Anyhow, according to YHH, here are the ‘05 Minnesotans picked in this draft:

R5 P110 (POR)
Tanner Bruender (Chaska-Chan BAA)

R6 P116 (KAM)
Cooper Conway (Andover BAA)

R7 P138 (VAN)
Jack Hochsprung (LKVL S. BAA)

R10 P208 (VAN)
Ashton Dahms (LKVL S. HS)

R11 P242 (POR)
Carsen Musser (Fairmont HS)

R12 P264 (POR)
Matt VanderVort (Edina BAA)