Class A Tourney w/o top 3 teams

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mite-dad

Class A Tourney w/o top 3 teams

Post by Mite-dad » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:44 pm

How would these teams have been seeded and how would the tournament turn out with these section champions? Would it be an entertaining tournament?

1. Mankato East
2. Delano
3. Hutchinson
4. South St. Paul
5. Monticello
6. Alexandria
7. Duluth Denfeld
8. Warroad

O-townClown

Re: Class A Tourney w/o top 3 teams

Post by O-townClown » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:16 pm

Mite-dad wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:44 pm
Would it be an entertaining tournament?
Absolutely!
Be kind. Rewind.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:28 pm

Warroad finished fourth, but would most likely romp through this field. In that respect I would think it would be less entertaining, though Wednesday games would be more competitive.

Here’s a shot at seeding:
1. Warroad
2. Delano
3. Denfeld
4. Alexandria
5. Monticello

I could see an argument for Delano and Denfeld swapping spots.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:57 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:28 pm
Warroad finished fourth, but would most likely romp through this field. In that respect I would think it would be less entertaining, though Wednesday games would be more competitive.

Here’s a shot at seeding:
1. Warroad
2. Delano
3. Denfeld
4. Alexandria
5. Monticello

I could see an argument for Delano and Denfeld swapping spots.
Agree with Stang then Warroad Dominats and if not them then EGF.

Sections 2A, 4A, 6A, 7A and 8A have been very strong look at the last 10 years there is good parity!

2010 Breck (2A)
2011 STA (4A)
2012 STA (4A)
2013 STA (4A)
2014 EGF (8A)
2015 EGF (8A)
2016 Hermantown (7A)
2017 Hermantown (7A)
2018 Orono (2A)
2019 SCC (6A)
2020 Mahtomedi (4A)

The issue is 1A, 3A, 5A

You should change the topic to drop the bottom 3!

I think 1A & 3A could be combined

Move Hutch and LDC and New Ulm up with Orono and Delano Like in Girls Class A to make a new 3A

Make 1A straight across the bottom of the state from Mankato down.

5A get SCC and Sartell

Boom now just one weak section in 1A and you have even more people coming Wednesday

Class A had the highest attended ever Semifinal this year its not the top end its the bottom 3 section!

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:30 pm

Seems like a lot of guys would love to see the small school tournament become even more mediocre.
Hockey Is For Everyone

Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 am

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:30 pm
Seems like a lot of guys would love to see the small school tournament become even more mediocre.
Its not that so much as we'd rather see the top teams be in Class AA

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 am

Joe2015 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 am
Its not that so much as we'd rather see the top teams be in Class AA
That's a distinction without a difference.
Hockey Is For Everyone

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:53 am

Since when does parity=mediocrity?

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:50 am

rainier2 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:53 am
When parity is the result of the best teams being removed from the competition.
Hockey Is For Everyone

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:40 am

Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:50 am
rainier2 wrote:
So you'd like to see STA and BSM move back to A?

HM has even fewer students than Hermantown. I can't believe your Pioneers are screwing HS hockey fans out of a better A tournament by selfishly playing in AA. :D

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:09 am

rainier2 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:40 am
rainier2 wrote:

HM has even fewer students than Hermantown. I can't believe your Pioneers are screwing HS hockey fans out of a better A tournament by selfishly playing in AA. :D
Hoping Hibbing can get back to glory!

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:34 am

ClassAGuy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:09 am
rainier2 wrote:

I'm not. I'm hoping small schools like HM will take a long look at their programs and realize they are ruining the Class A tournament by playing in AA. With some creative geographical section placement, we could have Hermantown, SCC, STA, BSM, HM, HF, and Blake in the A tournament every year. Then we can start a GoFundMe for Rochester Lourdes so they can offer free tuition to every good player in Rochester and within a 30 mile radius, thereby providing a reliable 1A team that will also have 3 excellent lines and 4 D1 defensemen.

Never again would HS hockey fans be tortured by having to watch some crappy team from a small town trot out 1 good line, 2 decent defensemen, and a bunch of ham-handed benchwarmers who only play because they love hockey, not because they have scholarships waiting for them! We can end the mediocrity!

C'mon, HIll-Murray, end the mediocrity! Stop playing Hermantown during the regular season and then ducking them in the playoffs! Get to Class A where you belong! :D

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:43 pm

Rainier2,
That's the best post I've seen on this forum in a long, long time, that I can tell you.
=D>

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:40 pm

bodyup88 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:43 pm
Rainier2,
That's the best post I've seen on this forum in a long, long time, that I can tell you.
=D>
Private’s should have their own private tournament. And by the way, it would be an awesome tournament too. Everybody would have their favorite private instead of hating them all. Benilde and Cretin would be mine.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:28 pm

Those schools would refuse to play in that tourney. They want to play under the big stage. Trying to beat all the best talent and beat six solid teams on their way to the big hill championship.

The H team can have their little Hill.
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:02 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:34 am
ClassAGuy wrote:
rainier2 wrote:

I'm not. I'm hoping small schools like HM will take a long look at their programs and realize they are ruining the Class A tournament by playing in AA. With some creative geographical section placement, we could have Hermantown, SCC, STA, BSM, HM, HF, and Blake in the A tournament every year. Then we can start a GoFundMe for Rochester Lourdes so they can offer free tuition to every good player in Rochester and within a 30 mile radius, thereby providing a reliable 1A team that will also have 3 excellent lines and 4 D1 defensemen.

Never again would HS hockey fans be tortured by having to watch some crappy team from a small town trot out 1 good line, 2 decent defensemen, and a bunch of ham-handed benchwarmers who only play because they love hockey, not because they have scholarships waiting for them! We can end the mediocrity!

C'mon, HIll-Murray, end the mediocrity! Stop playing Hermantown during the regular season and then ducking them in the playoffs! Get to Class A where you belong! :D
This Year's Class A Final Four was the best it has EVER been and HIGHEST ATTENDED hope it stays that way because its fun to see the Top Class A Seniors staying home as the level of Play has picked up.

Again I hope to see Hibbing get back to Glory!

Hope Cloquet comes down to Class A. Class regardless was a great Tourney of talent this year in both Brackets!!

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:12 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:02 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:34 am
ClassAGuy wrote:

This Year's Class A Final Four was the best it has EVER been and HIGHEST ATTENDED hope it stays that way because its fun to see the Top Class A Seniors staying home as the level of Play has picked up.

Again I hope to see Hibbing get back to Glory!

Hope Cloquet comes down to Class A. Class regardless was a great Tourney of talent this year in both Brackets!!
Yeah, it was great to watch two big city teams that play AA all through youth battle it out for A supremacy. The one actual small town team in the final four got their butts handed to them twice as a reminder that Class A is all about metro teams, which is why the attendance was so great.

If you want the A tourney to be loaded city teams playing each other in front of bigger crowds, that's fine, but we already have the AA tourney if that's what you're looking for. Personally, I'd prefer to watch actual community teams duke it out, even if that means fewer butts in the stands.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:56 pm

So a couple thoughts on attendance. Let’s look at the distance that fans had to travel to get to the X on Friday.

Mahtomedi 19 minutes
Blake 16 minutes
Eden Prairie. 26 minutes
Hill Murray. 15 minutes
STA. 13 minutes

Now the other three teams

SCC. Is an hour or so away from the X but. This team has made a habit of traveling to the X and has a great fan base.

Hermantown. 9out of 11 years at c-chip game. Been dominant and has another very big fan base.

Warroad. Do we need to say more. Great tradition and again a fan base that has entertained every time at the X. They hadn’t been to X in 10 years and the fans showed their support for sure.

The attendance record does not show how great the tourney was as much as how great the fan bases are for the farther away teams and how many metro team made it to semifinal Friday. When you have five teams fifteen minutes away from the X and three other teams with amazing fan bases!

Hermantown, Warroad, and SCC do have amazing fans. Think about it these three teams are regulars to state and always entertain when they do make it. Keep the same three or four teams making it every year and yes you will break records. Should we just plug in those teams every year and skip the rest of class a tourney.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:05 pm

The attendance argument made ZERO sense.

Yes, you are right that 3 of the 4 in the Final 4 were regular teams that have been in it a lot.

Thus their Fan Bases have always been there and not set records!!

They set the Class A Record because the talent in the Final 4 was better and deeper.

I am sorry though let's just go with Rainier's idea and go back to the Tier 1 and Tier 2 days.

Then maybe his 4-22 Hibbing boys have a chance to make a State Tournament.

This was a great Class A Tournament as far as talent goes the BEST EVER. You had a Mr. Hockey and a ton of legit D1 Kids in Class A!! The Casual Fan showed up to Class A again your fan base argument made no sense those people show up regardless. You set Attendance records in Class because people in the state beyond the program fan bases involved show up. The tradition of AA is not there but thankfully because we had 4 REALLY good teams they put people in the Top of the X for the first time EVER in Class A. Class A is doing awesome glad to see it!

Hope it stays the way it is now we can make a side JV Tournament for Rainer's plan at Tria so he can go enjoy!

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:15 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:05 pm
The attendance argument made ZERO sense.

Yes, you are right that 3 of the 4 in the Final 4 were regular teams that have been in it a lot.

Thus their Fan Bases have always been there and not set records!!

They set the Class A Record because the talent in the Final 4 was better and deeper.

I am sorry though let's just go with Rainier's idea and go back to the Tier 1 and Tier 2 days.

Then maybe his 4-22 Hibbing boys have a chance to make a State Tournament.

This was a great Class A Tournament as far as talent goes the BEST EVER. You had a Mr. Hockey and a ton of legit D1 Kids in Class A!! The Casual Fan showed up to Class A again your fan base argument made no sense those people show up regardless. You set Attendance records in Class because people in the state beyond the program fan bases involved show up. The tradition of AA is not there but thankfully because we had 4 REALLY good teams they put people in the Top of the X for the first time EVER in Class A. Class A is doing awesome glad to see it!

Hope it stays the way it is now we can make a side JV Tournament for Rainer's plan at Tria so he can go enjoy!
Ok, it is clear that you base the health and success of Class A on two things:

1. The amount of high-end talent on the ice.
2. Attendance at the A tourney

With this in mind, I am implementing a plan to improve Class A that you will LOVE! Here it is:

-I went to the Duluth area today, and I put flyers on every house and car in Proctor, West Duluth, and Cloquet. (I know I violated the stay-at-home order, but it was worth it) I even crossed the bridge into Wisconsin (gross!) and canvassed Superior. Here is what the flyer said: "Make the Class A Tournament Even Better!!! Talented hockey players, please, please transfer or open enroll to Hermantown ASAP, so we can have more a more talented 7A representative. And if you transfer but get cut from the team, make sure to go to the X and watch the better players play so that we can get those attendance numbers up!!!'"

-I will do the same in the St. Cloud area tomorrow, making sure to hit every town within 45 miles of there, just to ensure maximum talent concentration.

-I will then get to the metro area and speak with the administration at Mahtomedi about letting more students into their full schools. I have a "double-decker" desk system that will allow for tons of transfers and open enrollees to come in, thereby maximizing the talent concentration.

-A la Kniven, I will rally the students, parents, and alumni of HM, STA, BSM, HF, Blake, etc. for them to move down to Class A. I will impress upon them the importance of drawing in more talent from surrounding schools, so that we may have more talent at the A tourney and therefore, more fans in the stands!

-But I am not a Class A snob, so I will also direct my efforts at improving the AA tourney. I will figure out a way for the best players at Tonka, EP, and Wayzata to combine into a super team, and will do the same with East-GR-Andover-ER, and then Edina-Shattuck-NTDP U17 and U18, just off the top of my head. We will have the greatest concentration of talent from MN in the tourney, and, to make sure we can handle the crazy demand for tickets this would create, I will call up the U and get TCF Bank Stadium for the AA Tourney!!!!

We can do this, ClassAGuy. We can get all the "real" talent from around the state to go to just 16 schools (8 in AA, 8 in A), and play the tourney in a football stadium, and we will have every D1 player in the state playing, in front of 60,000 foaming at the mouth fans. Hopefully, all the other programs besides these 16 will just fold, so we can stop wasting time with recruiting and drawing in talent.

Your dream can come true!!!! :lol:

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:42 pm

Wow Rainier

Its clear that you don't like Hermantown and Private schools and larger Metro area teams. You had made that point clear I get that.

I guess....

I get what you are saying get rid of the really good Class A Programs now that two tournaments are more comparable I thought it was kind of great to have the better end of the talent pool in the Class A field this year as far as individuals go.

Like I said they did what you want to water down the field and have th best all play in one and the other play in the other it was called Tier 1 and Tier 2.

Class A is doing well.

DId kids transfer to EGF, Warroad, Hermantown, Greenway, Mahtomedi, Dodge County and many other public Class A Schools for a better shot to get to the Tourney Yes.

Have Private Schools dominated at times yes but they all moved up and the remaining Breck and SCC are dead as far as a real threat to compete.

Kids are going to move

Heck I even remember a Hibbing team that made it to State in the early 2000's with a goalie from Ely.... And he definitely was dreaded TRANSFER

Go Hibbing!!

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:08 pm

Attendance continued

With five schools that close to the X you don’t think that had no effect on attendance?

Also with the dominance of the other three schools. Kids and families love to watch dominant teams. With Hermantown, SCC, and Warroad with great fan bases!
You think that had no effect on attendance?

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:08 pm
Attendance continued

With five schools that close to the X you don’t think that had no effect on attendance?

Also with the dominance of the other three schools. Kids and families love to watch dominant teams. With Hermantown, SCC, and Warroad with great fan bases!
One I could care less about AA... That's always a sell-out because its the Big Boy Tournament and the real one.

Again Yes Mahtomedi and Hermantown have great fan bases! Warroad if they bring everyone is only around 400 to 500 people so tiny and SCC is an evil private no community.

Yet those 4 teams took Class A to 13,000 Fans on a Friday. The upper bowl was opened people came to watch the talented teams I guess they should apologize to Rainier though because again its not FAIR to Hibbing... But it was ok when the kid from Ely came for a better hockey opportunity to make the Class A tournament for Hibbing but not ok when the kid did it to go to Hermantown. Spare me Rainier if you guys had not had whatever went on with the coaching and some bad things I heard Hibbing would not be 4-22.... But its fine Blame everyone else its the easy way.

Sorry I took you from your normal perch on the Hermantown Bashing committee poor Rainier...

GO HIBBING!!!!

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:10 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:15 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Attendance continued

One I could care less about AA... That's always a sell-out because its the Big Boy Tournament and the real one.

(The Class AA tournament is "the Big Boy tournament and the real one"? That's a strange sentiment from someone who calls themselves ClassAGuy. #-o )

Again Yes Mahtomedi and Hermantown have great fan bases! Warroad if they bring everyone is only around 400 to 500 people so tiny and SCC is an evil private no community.

Yet those 4 teams took Class A to 13,000 Fans on a Friday. (Again, why is tourney attendance an appropriate measure of how Class A as a whole is doing?) The upper bowl was opened people came to watch the talented teams I guess they should apologize to Rainier though because again its not FAIR to Hibbing... But it was ok when the kid from Ely came for a better hockey opportunity to make the Class A tournament for Hibbing but not ok when the kid did it to go to Hermantown. Spare me Rainier if you guys had not had whatever went on with the coaching and some bad things I heard Hibbing would not be 4-22.... (A bad record? God forbid any program have a couple down years!! They should be brimming with talent every year, like the teams that filled the X this year, right?) But its fine Blame everyone else its the easy way. (Want to talk about the easy way? How about big city schools concentrating talent and then kicking butt in A when they could clearly do well in AA. Now that's the easy way. But, it puts people in the stands, so you're okay with it, right?)

Sorry I took you from your normal perch on the Hermantown Bashing committee poor Rainier... (Whatever, "ClassAGuy". Your love for Class A is so inspiring. :roll: )

GO HIBBING!!!!

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:49 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:10 pm
ClassAGuy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:15 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Attendance continued

(The Class AA tournament is "the Big Boy tournament and the real one"? That's a strange sentiment from someone who calls themselves ClassAGuy. #-o )

Yet those 4 teams took Class A to 13,000 Fans on a Friday. (Again, why is tourney attendance an appropriate measure of how Class A as a whole is doing?) The upper bowl was opened people came to watch the talented teams I guess they should apologize to Rainier though because again its not FAIR to Hibbing... But it was ok when the kid from Ely came for a better hockey opportunity to make the Class A tournament for Hibbing but not ok when the kid did it to go to Hermantown. Spare me Rainier if you guys had not had whatever went on with the coaching and some bad things I heard Hibbing would not be 4-22.... (A bad record? God forbid any program have a couple down years!! They should be brimming with talent every year, like the teams that filled the X this year, right?) But its fine Blame everyone else its the easy way. (Want to talk about the easy way? How about big city schools concentrating talent and then kicking butt in A when they could clearly do well in AA. Now that's the easy way. But, it puts people in the stands, so you're okay with it, right?)

Sorry I took you from your normal perch on the Hermantown Bashing committee poor Rainier... (Whatever, "ClassAGuy". Your love for Class A is so inspiring. :roll: )

GO HIBBING!!!!

Just using your logic calling the AA Tournament the big boys one and the real one because basically that is what you are whining about.

Hermantown and Mahtomedi are TOO GOOD for Class A right have to move up?? Private schools cheat and steal kids from poorer programs Move UP!

I love that Class A has teams like Hermantown and Mahtomedi staying down and its working proof is in the product. Class A is getting better and maybe you don't have to Move Up to the big boys one because Class A can be just as good.

I get that when Hibbing was rolling in the 2000's and making the Class A Tournament with Ely Goalies that was all good but now .... Its not Fair.

Spare me Rainier like I said keep bashing Hermantown and other Successful Class A Programs maybe you will get what you want a Tier 1 and Tier2 System.

Or Maybe Hibbing with a good Youth Program coming up will knock off the Giant maybe Denfeld will knock off the giant... Its good to have a villain makes it great!

I am just saying I like the idea that no longer in my mind is Class AA the real one and Big boys one .... maybe these programs staying down is good for all.

I am sure you will come back with your population argument and that you cant push yourself in youth hockey and play AA that is not fair...

I personally like the idea that Hermantown and Mahtomedi and those teams are not jumping up. For years it was always Warroad and Breck... Other programs got better. Privates will rise and die like Breck, SPA, Lourdes and now SCC.

Hermantown is the ultimate debate I think to stay down and beat them nothing better than watching them get beat in the Final Game... I thought hh my gosh what will Rainier whine about now that they lost.... I forgot that is right go after Mahtomedi obviously.

Eventually Hibbing will be very good again and I hope they beat Hermantown someday in Class A... You don't have to be in the AA tourney to be legitimate in my eyes anymore... My opinion not all agree....

GO HIBBING!!