Turning Points

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Brodziak Fan Club

Re: Turning Points

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

blueblood wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:48 am ESPG:

I hear what you are saying, but still trying to understand what parameters would be used to seed.

- Pre-season expectations
- Games in January & February
- etc.

Would there have been a difference in seeding for 4AA this year?
I think in a perfect world, seedings for sections and state would be based on computer rankings like PageStat that put more weight on recent results.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

I get it. Nothing is perfect. 7AA uses QRF and there seems to be controversy over that as well.
Play Like a Champion Today
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

1997, Rochester Century opened. John Marshall was a regional and state power, Mayo was also fielding some very good teams. More seasons than not Rochester had a top 10 team, more often JM but Mayo also had some very good teams. Century essentially took about 2/3 of John Marshall’s players, local politics made the situation even worse for JM. There was some remodeling of John Marshall and Mayo high schools that reduced their student populations in the next decade while inflating Century’s. 10 years after Century opened they had a third place finish at state, but nothing out of Rochester since. Even Lakeville splitting into two schools hasn’t helped improve Rochester’s fortunes.

Still less kids in Rochester high schools than in the late ‘70’s. We just use 9-12 now instead of 10-12 so it looks like more now.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:19 amI think in a perfect world, seedings for sections and state would be based on computer rankings like PageStat that put more weight on recent results.
I didn't realize PageStat did. Will read the methodology again.
Be kind. Rewind.
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

O-townClown wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:26 am
Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:19 amI think in a perfect world, seedings for sections and state would be based on computer rankings like PageStat that put more weight on recent results.
I didn't realize PageStat did. Will read the methodology again.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I remembered reading that at some point.

edit: "Q: Lately our team has been doing very well. We just started slowly. Isn't that taken into account?

A: It is taken into account. The system give a heavier weight to recent games played than to games played earlier in the season."
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Here are my thoughts on seeding:

Einstein said, "Not everything that can be counted counts; not everything that counts can be counted."

There is a desire on the part of some to have one gold standard metric, a magic formula that "get's it right" every time, without any bias. That doesn't exist, & never will.

Seeding tournaments is good, but sooner or later, you've got to play good teams to win tournaments. Yes, you want the better teams to meet in the later rounds. But at some point, you just drop the puck & play the game.

Let the tournament coaches do the seeding.
Hockey Is For Everyone
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:14 pm Here are my thoughts on seeding:

Einstein said, "Not everything that can be counted counts; not everything that counts can be counted."

There is a desire on the part of some to have one gold standard metric, a magic formula that "get's it right" every time, without any bias. That doesn't exist, & never will.

Seeding tournaments is good, but sooner or later, you've got to play good teams to win tournaments. Yes, you want the better teams to meet in the later rounds. But at some point, you just drop the puck & play the game.

Let the tournament coaches do the seeding.
Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.

Joe Theismann
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Let Page2stat do the seeding, or Minnesota Scores. I have done a 180 on this, non biased systems seems to to better...... even though the football team with the longest winning streak in the nation somehow can not be the #1 team in their own class every year. Or a boys basketball team can be rated #3 in their class despite being undefeated and beating the #1 and #2 teams in their class. In case there was any question it is Caledonia in both cases. I still think the computers have flaws but those are more easily addressed.

My lord, the bias Minneapolis North gets is beyond belief in the computer rankings.