Covid Masks while Playing?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Duluth_Topper

Covid Masks while Playing?

Post by Duluth_Topper »

Has anyone heard of any other rinks requiring masks on players while playing?

We received a message last night from our coach that starting today at MARS in Duluth the players will need to wear masks during STP. It did state that the mask can removed if breathing becomes difficult during rigorous activity.
Schotzy

Re: Covid Masks while Playing?

Post by Schotzy »

I hear that experiment was short-lived.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

My son is doing a youth summer camp at a city run arena this year. Right now, they have to wear a mask going into the building, inside the locker room while getting dressed, and then it can come off when they are ready to put their helmet on. Once they are off the ice, the mask goes on when they are back in the locker room and the helmet comes off. Once out of the building, they can take it off again.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

BSUBeaver wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:07 pm My son is doing a youth summer camp at a city run arena this year. Right now, they have to wear a mask going into the building, inside the locker room while getting dressed, and then it can come off when they are ready to put their helmet on. Once they are off the ice, the mask goes on when they are back in the locker room and the helmet comes off. Once out of the building, they can take it off again.
Seems like a good compromise, except under the governor's order isn't everyone supposed to wear a mask when they are in a public place indoors? Is there an exception for sports, including hockey arenas?
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

MNHockeyFan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:57 pm
BSUBeaver wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:07 pm My son is doing a youth summer camp at a city run arena this year. Right now, they have to wear a mask going into the building, inside the locker room while getting dressed, and then it can come off when they are ready to put their helmet on. Once they are off the ice, the mask goes on when they are back in the locker room and the helmet comes off. Once out of the building, they can take it off again.
Seems like a good compromise, except under the governor's order isn't everyone supposed to wear a mask when they are in a public place indoors? Is there an exception for sports, including hockey arenas?
There are several exceptions, the key one here being that you don’t need one during at least somewhat strenuous physical activity.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

There is an exception when one is doing a physical activity like sports or exercising, if I recall correctly.
Duluth_Topper

Post by Duluth_Topper »

Update to my first post - this is a Marshall School rule and not a Mars Arena rule. STP is primarily made up of Marshall students.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Actually the mandate applies to all indoor activity. Hockey is a high risk activity and tge only reason you are supposed to take off your mask is when you are isolated.
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver »

BSUBeaver wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:05 pm
There is an exception when one is doing a physical activity like sports or exercising, if I recall correctly.
You recall correctly.

10.Circumstances where mandatory face coverings may be temporarily removed.

Face coverings required under Paragraph 9 of this Executive Order may be temporarily removed under the following circumstances:

a.When participating in organized sports in an indoor business or indoor public space while the level of exertion makes it difficult to wear a face covering

Source: https://www.leg.state.mn.us/archive/exe ... /20-81.pdf