Covid-19 has stopped training at MAP North

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sioux Lookout

Covid-19 has stopped training at MAP North

Post by Sioux Lookout » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:00 pm

Multiple coaches and athletes now have confirmed cases. This has caused a temporary pause of training at the Super Rink in Blaine.

This happened with all cleaning and temp. protocols in place.

We haven’t even made it to the first day of Fall sports starting, school opening on a PT basis (weeks away) or Captains practice.

This may be an unfortunate inevitability for all HS sports soon.

Hunters1993

Re: Covid-19 has stopped training at MAP North

Post by Hunters1993 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:19 pm

And then they take it to the school and pow long distance learning because kids had to play hockey!

I hate to say it but Told You So!
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:22 pm

Post came true faster than I even thought it would!
Posted 12 hours ago!

Here’s a list of schools that could be effected because the kids have to play hockey.. can anyone fill me in on how many schools have kids on that team? Or better how many teams have played that team in last 2-14 days?

The MSHSL will do what’s best for the kids. From there the HSEL or what ever they are called leagues will take your money if you want them to. Sure they will have a season the will make their money and the buyer better beware, the hockey player. You might just pay for a season that gets you and your loved ones very sick. You might pay to play a season and end up missing most of the season when they have to cancel because of regulations. You might pay and pin your hopes on big things and end up with nothing but a bunch of money gone. These leagues will certainly not give you refunds or medical help if you do get sick. And they won’t give a. If you do! They got there money!

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:31 am

We all knew this was possible. It's part of the process.

The big issue here is the tracing. Who trains at MAP, where have those people also trained/played at, are they quarantining, are they letting others know of the outbreak?

Most importantly, however. THANK YOU for sending out this information. I would have never known, and my I / my hockey player can react.

Mods - these kinds of posts are essential. A lack of information/truth has become 95% of the COVID problem in America. We all need to know what's going on.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:50 am

For the last two months people have been saying there is no risk and stop worrying. If MSHSL won’t let us play hockey we will play in these other leagues because there is no risk.

Here’s a list of schools that could be effected because the kids have to play hockey.. can anyone fill me in on how many schools have kids on that team? Or better how many teams have played that team in last 2-14 days?

tufboahp

Post by tufboahp » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:23 am

Walked past the MAP space @ Blaine last one day last week. Looked like a team of boys hanging out on their phones while a girls team was training. Not a single mask in sight.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:32 am

Sioux Lookout wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:00 pm
Multiple coaches and athletes now have confirmed cases. This has caused a temporary pause of training at the Super Rink in Blaine.

This happened with all cleaning and temp. protocols in place.

We haven’t even made it to the first day of Fall sports starting, school opening on a PT basis (weeks away) or Captains practice.

This may be an unfortunate inevitability for all HS sports soon.
My son trains at MAP West at PIC....they have also shut down for a few days. I am not sure if the part-time trainers go to both North and West but we were informed immediately. My son had not heard of kids testing positive at PIC location though?

I'm surprised it took this long for this to happen honestly. It's a bummer.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:53 am

No one has answered my question. How many different schools have kids playing in those two arenas? How many scrimmages practices or what ever you want to call them have these kids had in the last 2-14 days?

PuckNA

Post by PuckNA » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:13 am

Not sure that anyone would post that here.... usually a Health Dept reaching out to families if needed. HIPA etc....

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:46 am

PuckNA wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:13 am
Not sure that anyone would post that here.... usually a Health Dept reaching out to families if needed. HIPA etc....
This is the problem. Nobody is receiving information. I understand the privacy laws involved, but even a delay of one day in getting out information can lead to big problems with an airborne virus.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:09 pm

Let’s come at it this way. Which team trains at these arenas? And then we can talk about how many schools are going to be effected by hockey dads decision.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:37 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:09 pm
Let’s come at it this way. Which team trains at these arenas? And then we can talk about how many schools are going to be effected by hockey dads decision.
I'm not sure I'm following your point/question. I assume you are you aware that hockey is currently being or has been played in every arena that currently has ice in MN? HS STP programs, AAA programs, independent training organizations, tournaments, 3x3 leagues, scrimmages, Tier I, MASH, Try Hockey for Free, etc...they are all occurring in spite of COVID-19 being present in every MN county and is allowed by MDH...so I think the answer to your question is essentially every team has the potential to be impacted just as they would by going into a gas station or a grocery store or to a friends house.

Sioux Lookout

Post by Sioux Lookout » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:40 pm

It is possible the two MAP campuses were cross contaminated by staff traveling between those two arenas. What players (or how many?) could’ve been exposed is anyone’s guess at this point.

Players that train at MAP range in age from Junior/College/HS to Squirts. The toothpaste is definitely out of the tube on this one.

If your son or daughter has played in any local or regional tournaments lately, there is a good chance they’ve come across someone currently training at these facilities. HS STP events ended within two weeks, Bantam Elite has had games start locally and MN Hockey Tier I programming began for 14U to 18U.

It sounds concerning if true about not wearing masks in Blaine.

Is there such thing as a “waiver of liability” in pandemic times?

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:44 pm

The league will have no liability I’m sure. Nope. Good luck on that one. Hockey dads made the choice now they have to deal with results.

I am talking about HSEL listed in previous topic. Which teams from that league play at Blaine or PIC.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:45 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:44 pm
The league will have no liability I’m sure. Nope. Good luck on that one. Hockey dads made the choice now they have to deal with results.

I am talking about HSEL listed in previous topic. Which teams from that league play at Blaine or PIC.
None of them do, that league hasn't even started yet.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:47 pm

So with all the other leagues in and out of those two arenas. I wonder how many schools will be effected. Thanks hockey dads!

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:47 pm
So with all the other leagues in and out of those two arenas. I wonder how many schools will be effected. Thanks hockey dads!
Probably all of them at some point, that's the deal with a respiratory virus. You are obviously very concerned, wish you the best of luck.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:00 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
There isn't any one team that trains at MAP....it is a few kinds from every association in the north and west metro I would assume. Some associations may have more kids at a location than a different one. For example, Maple Grove and Wayzata have a lot of kids that train at West. Armstrong and Westonka may only have one or two kids from their association there.

Is that what you're asking?

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:08 pm

It is also believed that the (2) trainers in question contracted the virus outside of the MAP West location.

Again, we have not heard of any of the kids contracting it at the West campus...I don't know about North campus though.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:16 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
MAP is a workout program. Kids from Andover, Mounds View, Irondale, Blaine, etc.

This is why I want the MSHSL to keep a complete winter season. It's much easier to contain the spread if the high school teams stay together to train, skate, and play. It becomes much, much more conducive to viral spread if kids go one place to train, another to skate, and another for games because of the sheer number of kids/coaches/trainers/venues they then mix with.

Sioux Lookout

Post by Sioux Lookout » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:46 pm

Four staff were named at MAP North (HIPAA?) at the Super Rink.
Last edited by Sioux Lookout on Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:53 pm

Sioux Lookout wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:46 pm
Four staff were named at MAP North (HIPA?) at the Super Rink.
Oofda, I wasn't aware of (4) positives. I wonder if that (4) is also including the (2) that I know of at West since they sometimes go back and forth? I am guessing it is a HIPAA issue and we may never know all of the names. My kid knows the names of the West guys...but I'm not going to share them.