Hockey is on

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jg2112

Re: Hockey is on

Post by jg2112 »

Docs_88 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:03 am Here's to hoping the season is as normal as possible. I'm sure it will be modified however and I like the coaches associations first proposal for 24 games with home and home games vs the same opponent in a week. It addresses some potential issues and is close as I think we're going to get to a full season =D> . REALLY hope they allow a few fans with social distancing by then, not just for the parents either. Playing in front of your classmates is a big part of HS sports too. Not going to hold my breath on that one though.
Don't worry. There will be students in the stands this winter. At the HS soccer games I've attended this fall, there have been plenty of students in the stands or on the side of the field, all hanging out together without masks on.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

jg2112 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:49 pm
InThePipes wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:34 pm
BSUBeaver wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:24 pm

Yep, I don't see a State Tournament being played this year either. If they decide to have one for hockey, you will see lawsuits filed left and right by the fall sports' parents.
Out of curiosity, what grounds do you believe the lawsuit would be on?
It would be worth reading the pleadings (which I haven't seen) for the lawsuit that was to be heard tomorrow on a TRO / injunction motion. I suspect that lawsuit is the reason why football and volleyball are back in play this fall.

Whatever theory of recovery those plaintiffs alleged for the fall season would be the same for the winter season. What that theory is? I'm not sure either.
I wasn’t able to find a link to the actual pleadings, but the primary argument, as summarized in interviews by the plaintiffs’ attorney, was that the MSHSL failed to follow proper procedures in delaying the football and volleyball seasons. The league’s Representative Assembly is in charge of changing bylaws, which govern timing of seasons, number of games, etc. Because there was no changes made to the bylaws, the MSHSL wasn't allowed to move those sports to the spring.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Stang5280 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:35 pm

It would be worth reading the pleadings (which I haven't seen) for the lawsuit that was to be heard tomorrow on a TRO / injunction motion. I suspect that lawsuit is the reason why football and volleyball are back in play this fall.

Whatever theory of recovery those plaintiffs alleged for the fall season would be the same for the winter season. What that theory is? I'm not sure either.
I wasn’t able to find a link to the actual pleadings, but the primary argument, as summarized in interviews by the plaintiffs’ attorney, was that the MSHSL failed to follow proper procedures in delaying the football and volleyball seasons. The league’s Representative Assembly is in charge of changing bylaws, which govern timing of seasons, number of games, etc. Because there was no changes made to the bylaws, the MSHSL wasn't allowed to move those sports to the spring.
The original statement was that if there were state tournaments for winter sports this year, but fall sports did not have state tournaments then lawsuits would be filed by fall sports parents.

I was asking why that would be other than we live in a litigious world? Is it unfortunate that fall sports don't have state tournament - yes. Does it necessitate that those parents file lawsuits against MSHSL if winter sports do have state tournaments? I guess I was trying to understand what purpose that would serve other than helping a few attorneys put their kids through college.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

InThePipes wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:51 pm The original statement was that if there were state tournaments for winter sports this year, but fall sports did not have state tournaments then lawsuits would be filed by fall sports parents.

I was asking why that would be other than we live in a litigious world? Is it unfortunate that fall sports don't have state tournament - yes. Does it necessitate that those parents file lawsuits against MSHSL if winter sports do have state tournaments? I guess I was trying to understand what purpose that would serve other than helping a few attorneys put their kids through college.
Yeah, I agree that any such lawsuit stemming from a differing conclusion to the fall and winter sports seasons would be rather silly and pointless. I was just responding to jg2112’s statement that the arguments would be along the same lines as the current court case. I suppose it could still be contended that the MSHSL hasn’t actually modified its bylaws regarding fall sports, but I doubt that would gain much traction given the ever-evolving situation with COVID.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Stang5280 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:35 pm

I see. That makes sense. Thanks for looking into the case. I suspect it was dismissed / withdrawn today by those attorneys.