Hockey is on

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greenwayraider

Hockey is on

Post by greenwayraider » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:55 pm

With MSHL approving volleyball and football, winter sports will get the go too unless crazy numbers come for COVID.

Stang5280

Re: Hockey is on

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:31 pm

With football ending Nov. 28, what’s the semi-educated guess on starting date for hockey games?

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:36 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:31 pm
With football ending Nov. 28, what’s the semi-educated guess on starting date for hockey games?
Hopefully something close to the normal timeline holds? The 28th would be the final post-season FB game, there's always some overlap with FB playoffs, a couple of players may need to make some difficult choices, but I don't see why you'd NEED to delay the start of the season by much. The impact felt on this overlap in smaller communities is obviously different than larger metro area schools.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:55 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:36 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:31 pm
Hopefully something close to the normal timeline holds? The 28th would be the final post-season FB game, there's always some overlap with FB playoffs, a couple of players may need to make some difficult choices, but I don't see why you'd NEED to delay the start of the season by much. The impact felt on this overlap in smaller communities is obviously different than larger metro area schools.
It wouldn't surprise me it it will be after the Christmas break. Volleyball got an 11 week schedule plus 10 days of practice leading up. 11 weeks puts them right up against Christmas break. That means, more than likely, boys and girls basketball will not start until after Christmas break. I can't see the MSHSL starting hockey a month before they start basketball.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:16 pm

No reason to believe that hockey will be delayed at this time. There has been overlap of football playoffs and the start of the hockey season for the boys.
Play Like a Champion Today

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 pm

Today's ruling is bad news in regards to having a full year and the State Tourney

Football, Volleyball, Soccer, Swimming and Cross COuntry only doing a "Two Week' Sectional to conclude season....

The State Tournament at the X the crown jewel of our sport looking even LESS likely today....

Hockey will be 18 games and Sectional based off of what all Fall sports got.....

Rough to see no State Tournaments including in any of the formats... Hoping this will be revised on OCt 1st.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:24 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 pm
Today's ruling is bad news in regards to having a full year and the State Tourney

Football, Volleyball, Soccer, Swimming and Cross COuntry only doing a "Two Week' Sectional to conclude season....

The State Tournament at the X the crown jewel of our sport looking even LESS likely today....

Hockey will be 18 games and Sectional based off of what all Fall sports got.....

Rough to see no State Tournaments including in any of the formats... Hoping this will be revised on OCt 1st.
Yep, I don't see a State Tournament being played this year either. If they decide to have one for hockey, you will see lawsuits filed left and right by the fall sports' parents.

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:32 pm

Good job to the coaches association for coming out with some reasonable proposals that deal with the reality of the situation and give the opportunity for these kids to have a season (and hopefully playoffs).

Reading the twitter comments during the high school league meeting today and the "I'm living my life through my child" crowd was definitely out in force. I realize people want to be able to attend the games, but if for some reason they hold the season without fans/parent, it's not the end of the world.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:34 pm

BSUBeaver wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:24 pm
ClassAGuy wrote:

Yep, I don't see a State Tournament being played this year either. If they decide to have one for hockey, you will see lawsuits filed left and right by the fall sports' parents.
Out of curiosity, what grounds do you believe the lawsuit would be on?

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:35 pm

ironranger2 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:32 pm
Good job to the coaches association for coming out with some reasonable proposals that deal with the reality of the situation and give the opportunity for these kids to have a season (and hopefully playoffs).

Reading the twitter comments during the high school league meeting today and the "I'm living my life through my child" crowd was definitely out in force. I realize people want to be able to attend the games, but if for some reason they hold the season without fans/parent, it's not the end of the world.
Agree, this is about the kids. Figure out a way to stream the event if you're that hell-bent on watching.

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:38 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:

My understanding is that you could have a state tournament, but the funding would need to come from the participating schools (section champs).
Rink(s) would need to be rented and officials paid by schools involved. Definitely no tourney at the X. All sports would have this option.

Anyone else see this? Or maybe I was thinking of a proposal they had.

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:57 pm

Reporting on schools paying for tourney themselves was by Erick Kraushar Chanhassen/Chaska Sport. This was according to MSHSL director Erich Martens. No money in the budget per Martens.

chester1991

Post by chester1991 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:00 pm

R E L A X

The money maker is the state hockey tournament for the high school league. They have time to figure it out, its September 21st.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:03 pm

I see people were running a let them play blog. Well the keep them out of the classroom blog is what I am going to figure out how to start. Keep the sports kids out of classes. Let the sports kids be in a hub. They can find a teacher who has a hockey kid. Figure it out and keep them out of the schools. Look up Winona, university of lacrosses wisconsin, Albert Lea. Sports kids are going to put us back to all online. Thanks sports dads!
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:06 pm

Lots of time just if they dont let fall sports have a state then they are not gonna let winter have one.

Just how it we works fair for all then.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:15 pm

ironranger2 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:32 pm
I agree that some sort of pod scheduling system makes sense. The main catch I see is trying to arrange games on a short timeline, particularly for teams who are independents and/or not powerhouses who have no trouble attracting opponents. The MSHSL may have to step in with some assistance for teams struggling to fill out their schedules.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:49 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:34 pm
BSUBeaver wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:24 pm
ClassAGuy wrote:

Out of curiosity, what grounds do you believe the lawsuit would be on?
It would be worth reading the pleadings (which I haven't seen) for the lawsuit that was to be heard tomorrow on a TRO / injunction motion. I suspect that lawsuit is the reason why football and volleyball are back in play this fall.

Whatever theory of recovery those plaintiffs alleged for the fall season would be the same for the winter season. What that theory is? I'm not sure either.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:19 pm

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:54 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:06 pm
Lots of time just if they dont let fall sports have a state then they are not gonna let winter have one.

Just how it we works fair for all then.
While I would agree with this statement in a normal year, this isn't a normal year and think if the environment improves and a state tournament can be held, they will have it in some form. To take this a step further, so you are saying they wouldn't have a spring sport state tournament either because of what could happen in November or March? I would hope those in charge are a little more open minded then that. If by March and June respectively there is only minor differences maybe, but doesn't make sense to make decisions for the entire year based upon what conditions are in the fall.

O-townClown

Hockey might be on, maybe

Post by O-townClown » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:26 pm

I recently had a very encouraging conversation with the coach of a Class AA team. Add in today's news and it is likely MSHSL green lights hockey and other Winter sports on October 1st.

All that said, the subject line above is VERY misleading. It is an opinion. Not a fact being reported.

If football leads to spread this actually makes hockey LESS likely in my eyes.

Someone should change the subject line on this.
Be kind. Rewind.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:41 am

My source is from a school board president. Plans are already being made for all winter sports. As I said It could change depending on COVID numbers but it looks really good. The form it takes is unknown.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:52 am

There was never any way the High School League would cancel winter sports. Hockey and basketball are the two biggest sports in this state by participation and by gender. We've seen that the parents will happily file lawsuits to ensure seasons take place.

The only issue is how many fans will be allowed in the stands.

Docs_88

Post by Docs_88 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:03 am

Here's to hoping the season is as normal as possible. I'm sure it will be modified however and I like the coaches associations first proposal for 24 games with home and home games vs the same opponent in a week. It addresses some potential issues and is close as I think we're going to get to a full season =D> . REALLY hope they allow a few fans with social distancing by then, not just for the parents either. Playing in front of your classmates is a big part of HS sports too. Not going to hold my breath on that one though.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:30 am

Docs_88 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:03 am
Here's to hoping the season is as normal as possible. I'm sure it will be modified however and I like the coaches associations first proposal for 24 games with home and home games vs the same opponent in a week. It addresses some potential issues and is close as I think we're going to get to a full season =D> . REALLY hope they allow a few fans with social distancing by then, not just for the parents either. Playing in front of your classmates is a big part of HS sports too. Not going to hold my breath on that one though.
Agree, let's hope this is what moves forward.