MSHSL Oct 1st Meeting (Boys Hockey Season Fate)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

thefatcat

Re: MSHSL Oct 1st Meeting (Boys Hockey Season Fate)

Post by thefatcat »

jg2112 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:53 pm
InThePipes wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:16 pm And it seems like every time I check Twitter, there's another school board voting to postpone youth athletics for weeks/months (Duluth, Bloomington, St. Peter, etc.).
Yeah. Check out this tool:

https://jwolfson.shinyapps.io/school_openings/

You can view the data through school districts as well as counties.

Hennepin County now up to 78.1 cases per 10,000 people. Ramsey at 78.3. Other than Edina and EP, it's hard to find any school districts under the "send all your kids to distance learning" threshold of 50 per 10,000.
That's because Edina parents aren't reporting positives to the school district...I know, I have nieces and nephews that live in the bubble.
Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover »

thefatcat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:37 am
jg2112 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:53 pm
InThePipes wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:16 pm And it seems like every time I check Twitter, there's another school board voting to postpone youth athletics for weeks/months (Duluth, Bloomington, St. Peter, etc.).
Yeah. Check out this tool:

https://jwolfson.shinyapps.io/school_openings/

You can view the data through school districts as well as counties.

Hennepin County now up to 78.1 cases per 10,000 people. Ramsey at 78.3. Other than Edina and EP, it's hard to find any school districts under the "send all your kids to distance learning" threshold of 50 per 10,000.
That's because Edina parents aren't reporting positives to the school district...I know, I have nieces and nephews that live in the bubble.
Not just Edina parents, that is happening in every town/county
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

InThePipes wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:31 am
Do these developments cause MHCA, MN Hockey or MSHSL to change their course for the upcoming season?
I’ll let Elliott confirm or deny this but, I’ve been told by those I trust at the state level that the MH Board has taken a position that they will not shut youth hockey down on a statewide basis. Rather, they’ll wait for the governor to do it. That doesn’t preclude a district director pausing activity in their district or, an individual association pausing on their own as well. Again, Elliott will have the best info on this and can confirm or deny what I was told.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Wise Old Man wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:24 am
Do these developments cause MHCA, MN Hockey or MSHSL to change their course for the upcoming season?
I’ll let Elliott confirm or deny this but, I’ve been told by those I trust at the state level that the MH Board has taken a position that they will not shut youth hockey down on a statewide basis. Rather, they’ll wait for the governor to do it. That doesn’t preclude a district director pausing activity in their district or, an individual association pausing on their own as well. Again, Elliott will have the best info on this and can confirm or deny what I was told.
My question was more around MSHSL still trying to pull off a season that seems to be increasingly difficult as school boards across the state postpone youth athletics, as opposed to leagues for HS aged players being set-up and run under the MH umbrella (e.g. bridge season becomes "the" season throughout the winter)?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Wise Old Man wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:24 am
This is accurate.
The DD control their respective districts.
The Governor can shut thigs down but the biggest concern is control of the rinks.
Most communities in District 16 are run by a local government or the local hockey program. Some are controlled by the local school.
For the most part school boards will not be shutting down hockey programs.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

I don't think the Governor has much more time before he has to do something definitive to stop viral spread, if he's going to.

7,200 positive cases today in MN with a 15% positivity rate.

Remember - current decisions are being made based on an average of 1,900+ cases per day.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

Posted this on the MH and Covid thread as well...The six New England states and New Jersey just coordinated shutting youth and high school hockey down until at least Jan.1st.

https://vtdigger.org/liveblog/vermont-s ... il-dec-31/

Remember, their youth seasons start about three to four weeks earlier than ours...
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

My bad, they're suspending any interstate competition. Not shutting down the sport completely. My sincere apologies for that mistake. Still very significant though.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Wise Old Man wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:45 pm My bad, they're suspending any interstate competition. Not shutting down the sport completely. My sincere apologies for that mistake. Still very significant though.
I have heard that Maine has suspended all junior league teams' games as well. Granted, that is only three teams I believe, but still throws other teams' schedules out.

Also, the Ivy League has cancelled all winter sports. That means the ECAC will be without those hockey teams this season.

https://www.uscho.com/2020/11/12/ivy-le ... er-sports/
6AAGuy

Post by 6AAGuy »

jg2112 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:48 pm I don't think the Governor has much more time before he has to do something definitive to stop viral spread, if he's going to.

7,200 positive cases today in MN with a 15% positivity rate.

Remember - current decisions are being made based on an average of 1,900+ cases per day.
He can have a standardized PCR at/below 35. Fauci says anything above that is basically tracing false positives. there's no standard and many tests run at 40 or above.

Means more cases. But they're not contagious.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Sounds like governor and Department of health may be canceling all sports this week

https://twitter.com/thauserkstp/status/ ... 70560?s=21
ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 »

Doesn't help the cause to keep things open when you get parents like this making it all about themselves.

https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/1 ... 2346112000
HockeyCrazy1970

Post by HockeyCrazy1970 »

Here is a bit of information and some insight from a top player who is fed up with the uncertainty

https://kstp.com/minnesota-prep-sports/ ... s/5932134/
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

HockeyCrazy1970 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:33 pm Here is a bit of information and some insight from a top player who is fed up with the uncertainty

https://kstp.com/minnesota-prep-sports/ ... s/5932134/
That doesn't have insight from any player.

I don't want to sound insensitive in any way to anyone's plight. You only get a limited window of opportunity for youth or high school athletics. For most HS athletes, once they graduate, their days of organized athletics are done, or at least greatly diminished. Softball once a week in a beer league isn't the same as practices & games 5 or 6 or 7 days a week. I get that.

But I do think it's helpful to take a broad perspective here. In WWII, people gave up a lot more, for more than a year (or so), and some of those people were under great stress. Some families had 2, or 3, or 4 guys in the service. Times got tough, and they got tough.

Games are fun, and fun is important. We're all sports nuts here. But games are, in the end, just games. It's a good lesson for kids to know that it's sucks to miss their sport, and maybe their final season, but there are things more important than sports. Most of those kids will face greater set backs than that between graduation and the day they pass this veil of tears.
Hockey Is For Everyone
HockeyCrazy1970

Post by HockeyCrazy1970 »

Click on the link then click on the video and you will see a news story about mshsl. it has lots of hockey clips and talks to Joe Miller from Blake about how he is going to bypass his senior year because of the uncertainty surrounding high school hockey
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

HockeyCrazy1970 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:08 am Click on the link then click on the video and you will see a news story about mshsl. it has lots of hockey clips and talks to Joe Miller from Blake about how he is going to bypass his senior year because of the uncertainty surrounding high school hockey
COVID may have been the nail in the coffin for his decision, but Joe Miller was almost certainly leaving Blake regardless of the MSHSL actions.