4AA Outlook

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SEC Scotty

4AA Outlook

Post by SEC Scotty » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:15 pm

Is there a team that can unseat the Pioneers? Stillwater will be solid and White Bear will be down this year. Is there anyone else that will make some noise?

jg2112

Re: 4AA Outlook

Post by jg2112 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:26 pm

SEC Scotty wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:15 pm
Is there a team that can unseat the Pioneers? Stillwater will be solid and White Bear will be down this year. Is there anyone else that will make some noise?
No.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:35 pm

Stillwater is the only hope.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:28 pm

If Elliot's list is right. Section is WIDE OPEN.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:55 pm

Spar - Pio parents at New Hope tonite say they are looking for a repeat!

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:46 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:55 pm
Spar - Pio parents at New Hope tonite say they are looking for a repeat!
Well if the season isn't really a season, we'll still be defending champions 2 years later. That all said, I wish everyone would be playing.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:55 pm

Spar- figuring by time March rolls around , Mshsl will cave and allow a state trny , albeit with limited or no fans . Or else Minn Hockey will sponser a “State Trny” of same 8 teams after Mshsl sections

BP

Post by BP » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:28 am

WestMetro wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:55 pm
Spar- figuring by time March rolls around , Mshsl will cave and allow a state trny , albeit with limited or no fans . Or else Minn Hockey will sponser a “State Trny” of same 8 teams after Mshsl sections
Not as easy as it sounds though Westy. A few things to keep in mind if (when) the MSHSL says no state tournament. It will be through MN Hockey or YHH - but: 1) Coaches won't be allowed to coach 2) All coaches and players will need to become USA certified. Not hard for players - but it is an extensive amount of modules for coaches (hours worth). 3) Do we really think schools are going to allow outstate teams to travel and stay in hotels for 3-4 days? Not a chance.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:41 am

BP wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:28 am
WestMetro wrote:
Not as easy as it sounds though Westy. A few things to keep in mind if (when) the MSHSL says no state tournament. It will be through MN Hockey or YHH - but: 1) Coaches won't be allowed to coach 2) All coaches and players will need to become USA certified. Not hard for players - but it is an extensive amount of modules for coaches (hours worth). 3) Do we really think schools are going to allow outstate teams to travel and stay in hotels for 3-4 days? Not a chance.
1) It's not about the coaches, it's about the players and many HS would probably rejoice if it were someone else on the bench other than their current coach
2) This isn't going to be an issue because of #1
3) You really believe people in Moorhead and/or Roseau would say "no thanks, sounds too dangerous"?

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:20 pm

BP wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
Through YHH? I don't foresee that happening.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:58 pm

BP wrote:
[quote=WestMetro post_id=751002 time=<a href="tel:1602651318">1602651318</a> user_id=22850]
[/quote]

Agree not easy , lots of details to be worked out . But not impossible? Just saying, Pio parents said they want a tourney and a shot at back to back .

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:26 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:58 pm
BP wrote:
[quote=WestMetro post_id=751002 time=<a href="tel:1602651318">1602651318</a> user_id=22850]
Agree not easy , lots of details to be worked out . But not impossible? Just saying, Pio parents said they want a tourney and a shot at back to back .
[/quote]

Hold the State Tournament here: 2100 Trail of Dreams

Problem solved

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:53 pm

So I see a theme going here. What do you do with a Stillwater team that gets to sections with say one loss and a HM team that gets there with 3, and has played a much harder schedule. As a Hill fan, I'd much prefer not to have to get by both WBL and Stillwater in consecutive games, but you can make an argument that will need to happen. And to be honest, to win it all you have to beat the best. So no one should really scare you. Granted WBL could be 2-19 on the year and scare me. Will be interest to see this develop over the next several weeks.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:31 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:53 pm
So I see a theme going here. What do you do with a Stillwater team that gets to sections with say one loss and a HM team that gets there with 3, and has played a much harder schedule. As a Hill fan, I'd much prefer not to have to get by both WBL and Stillwater in consecutive games, but you can make an argument that will need to happen. And to be honest, to win it all you have to beat the best. So no one should really scare you. Granted WBL could be 2-19 on the year and scare me. Will be interest to see this develop over the next several weeks.
I don’t see Stillwater winning out. They’ve got another date with both WB & Cretin. They also have 2 games against Flake. They lose two of those 4 games and go into sections with 3 losses, maybe more.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

stateofhawkey

Post by stateofhawkey » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:47 am

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:31 pm
Sparlimb wrote:
I don’t see Stillwater winning out. They’ve got another date with both WB & Cretin. They also have 2 games against Flake. They lose two of those 4 games and go into sections with 3 losses, maybe more.
I agree with BlueLine. Stillwater won't win out, unless they get really lucky. White Bear Lake is showing improvements since their loss to Stillwater, and I predict they win in the rematch. This is how I predict the section shapes up when all is said and done:

1. Hill-Murray
2. White Bear Lake
3. Stillwater
4. East Ridge
5. Mounds View
6. Woodbury
7. Roseville
8. Irondale
9. Minnehaha

2 and 3 could obviously be flipped if Stillwater sweeps the season series. The most interesting games to keep an eye on for White Bear Lake are 2/23 vs. Forest Lake, and 3/4 vs. Stillwater. For Stillwater, it's the games BlueLine mentioned.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:59 am

stateofhawkey wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:47 am
BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:
I agree with BlueLine. Stillwater won't win out, unless they get really lucky. White Bear Lake is showing improvements since their loss to Stillwater, and I predict they win in the rematch. This is how I predict the section shapes up when all is said and done:

1. Hill-Murray
2. White Bear Lake
3. Stillwater
4. East Ridge
5. Mounds View
6. Woodbury
7. Roseville
8. Irondale
9. Minnehaha

2 and 3 could obviously be flipped if Stillwater sweeps the season series. The most interesting games to keep an eye on for White Bear Lake are 2/23 vs. Forest Lake, and 3/4 vs. Stillwater. For Stillwater, it's the games BlueLine mentioned.
What would make things a bit more interesting is Hill's final record going into sections. They have 4 games remaining against consensus decent to very good teams: Wayzata, Benilde, STA rematch and Blake to end the year. If Hill loses two of those or more and finishes with 4-5 losses, the #1 seed gets a lot more interesting (assuming the wheels don't come off for Stillwater and WBL).

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:32 am

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:
Stillwater ties Flake last night. Probably felt like a loss, as they were up 2-0 with under 3 minutes left and gave up two goals at the very end of regulation. This tie probably doesn't do much of anything to effect section seedings at the moment. But Stillwater still has 3 more difficult-ish games left and this game should have been a win. A loss in the rematch to WB and a loss in their rematch to CDH and it's highly likely Stillwater and WB will be battling it out for the 2-3 seeds.

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:42 pm

Woodbury beat Stillwater 2-0 tonight. That will change things.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:37 pm

Rough two games for the Ponies. They have some big games ahead - they’ll need a short memory. They still have a slight upper hand on WB based on their head-to-head, but their shot at the #1 seed is all but gone.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:14 am

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:37 pm
Rough two games for the Ponies. They have some big games ahead - they’ll need a short memory. They still have a slight upper hand on WB based on their head-to-head, but their shot at the #1 seed is all but gone.
Should be interesting down the stretch, the 4AA semi's and final will all have over/under lines of about 3.5 :wink:

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:02 am

The Bears can be 0 - 25, win two section games, and still give my Pioneers a fight in the final.
Hockey Is For Everyone

stateofhawkey

Post by stateofhawkey » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:09 am

#16 AA White Bear Lake (10-2-0) vs. Forest Lake (8-3-1) - Tuesday, February 23, 2021 7 PM - will be streamed online here:

YouTube - https://youtu.be/v51EtFZsD0Q
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/263543468472204/

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:56 pm

Huh. Looks like the Ponies got a bit of a beat down today.

At the end of the day, there is rarely any significant difference between being #2 or #3.
Hockey Is For Everyone

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:32 am

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:56 pm
Huh. Looks like the Ponies got a bit of a beat down today.

At the end of the day, there is rarely any significant difference between being #2 or #3.
Edit: Looks like the Red Knights took it on the chin as well yesterday. There is really no drama in this section, not to diminish the ever present possibility of an upset. (Though WBL can breath more easily now that Johnson is out of the section.)
Hockey Is For Everyone

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:17 am

The last week or so ended any potential seeding drama. The west side got a taste of east side pride, with Hill outscoring Wayzata, Benilde & Holy Family 14-1. Stillwater and WBL can duel it out for 2/3 spots.

Stillwater (9-3-1)
Wins against WBL and Cretin

WBL (11-2-1)
No signature wins

Stillwater currently has the upper-hand based on head-to-head, but they play again March 4th. WBL also plays Cretin on March 6th. If the Bears win the rematch and lose to Cretin, the debate for who is the 2 seed and who is the 3 seed should be interesting. Either way they'll be getting a 3rd round in sections barring something incredible happening.

Hill looked solid again last night against Benilde. It never felt like a shooting gallery to me - there was some decent back and forth at least for a while. Benilde is a good team but sure seems to get flustered when things don't go their way. Their play, in my opinion, bordered on slightly dirty. There were several occasions I think penalties could and maybe should have been called. Stick whacks to the back of legs, there was an arm-to-head slug in the front of the Benilde goalie that didn't get called.

This Hill team is methodical. And Erickson in goal probably doesn't get as much credit as he should. He hasn't been tested a ton, but when he has he's more often than not come up big. The D gets a lot of the love on this team, and rightfully so. They seem to give Erickson good sight lines and they block a ton of shots. But don't discount a great goalie stealing a game when needed, and Erickson fits that bill and can certainly do that. The entire coaching staff at Hill, notably Pat Schafhauser, should get a ton of credit for how they've assembled/developed/coached the team this year.

Who knows what will happen, but if Hill is lucky enough to make it to State to defend their title, I can't wait to see how they would perform against Lakeville South, Eden Prairie or Maple Grove.