covid and MH

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

covid and MH

Post by elliott70 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:21 am

Minnesota Hockey is hoping our efforts to minimize potential spread will keep hockey in Minnesota open.
The following is an example of the reports coming into MN Hockey.

Please do not make this thread a political battle - posting it just to remind people to be careful.

CONCORD, N.H. —
There will be no hockey in New Hampshire for two weeks while the state investigates several outbreaks of COVID-19 linked to the sport.

Gov. Chris Sununu said the two-week pause on all activities on the ice in indoor facilities is necessary because of more than 150 cases of COVID-19 in the state associated with ice hockey.

State epidemiologist Dr. Benjamin Chan said 117 cases were connected to eight outbreaks. Another 41 were not connected with specific outbreaks, but they were associated with ice hockey.

"These 158 people with COVID-19 associated with hockey are from 23 different New Hampshire hockey-related organizations, and there are additional connections with out-of-state organizations," Chan said. "So, hockey has not only been a high-risk activity for acquiring COVID-19, but the people diagnosed with COVID-19 associated with hockey and with these outbreaks have likely lead to other community exposures, including to schools, businesses, like long-term care facilities, social gatherings."

Chan said the cases associated with hockey were linked to other cases in at least 24 K-12 schools in the state. He said it's a sign that the cases associated with hockey are leading to broader community spread of the coronavirus in New Hampshire.

The two-week pause on hockey includes college teams and ice skating, Sununu said. The state plans to work with rink owners, hockey officials and teams to examine current procedures and test those involved with the sport.

Sununu and Chan noted that there has been no sign of COVID-19 spreading widely in other sports. Sununu said the guidance the state drafted for youth sports appears to be working for other sports.

Parents of New Hampshire hockey players were stunned by the governor's announcement.

"It's a shame because I think it's just being blown out of proportion," hockey dad Tony Sabetti said. "I think the kids are paying the price for it."

Sabetti's son plays at Cyclones Arena in Hudson. He said his son has been tested four times because of hockey and has been in isolation three times. His son has tested negative every time so far.

"They're not near each other for more than three to four minutes per game," Sabetti said. "So, I think football, soccer, all those sports you're going to be closer to people that aren't protected."

Two weeks without ice time is frustrating for players, Raffi Podniesinki is a goalie in Keene. Every year he participates in the October Saves Goalie Challenge which raises money for organizations helping with children's and women's cancers.

jg2112

Re: covid and MH

Post by jg2112 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:04 pm

I think this is the correct approach and Minnesota hockey needs to adopt it immediately.

When there have been COVID issues in football, soccer and cross country this fall, teams have paused activities and delayed (or cancelled) games. Get the all clear, regroup, and then move forward.

There have been multiple positive COVID diagnoses in my child's league this fall and we were told nothing by the league. There were no pauses, no quarantining, no nothing. We found out through the players gossiping at school. Hockey needs to be responsible, because the indoor setting makes COVID more likely to spread.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:48 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:04 pm
I think this is the correct approach and Minnesota hockey needs to adopt it immediately.

When there have been COVID issues in football, soccer and cross country this fall, teams have paused activities and delayed (or cancelled) games. Get the all clear, regroup, and then move forward.

There have been multiple positive COVID diagnoses in my child's league this fall and we were told nothing by the league. There were no pauses, no quarantining, no nothing. We found out through the players gossiping at school. Hockey needs to be responsible, because the indoor setting makes COVID more likely to spread.
What district are you in?
Was it private hockey or a MN H association?

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:34 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:21 am
Minnesota Hockey is hoping our efforts to minimize potential spread will keep hockey in Minnesota open.
The following is an example of the reports coming into MN Hockey.

Please do not make this thread a political battle - posting it just to remind people to be careful.

CONCORD, N.H. —
There will be no hockey in New Hampshire for two weeks while the state investigates several outbreaks of COVID-19 linked to the sport.

Gov. Chris Sununu said the two-week pause on all activities on the ice in indoor facilities is necessary because of more than 150 cases of COVID-19 in the state associated with ice hockey.

State epidemiologist Dr. Benjamin Chan said 117 cases were connected to eight outbreaks. Another 41 were not connected with specific outbreaks, but they were associated with ice hockey.

"These 158 people with COVID-19 associated with hockey are from 23 different New Hampshire hockey-related organizations, and there are additional connections with out-of-state organizations," Chan said. "So, hockey has not only been a high-risk activity for acquiring COVID-19, but the people diagnosed with COVID-19 associated with hockey and with these outbreaks have likely lead to other community exposures, including to schools, businesses, like long-term care facilities, social gatherings."

Chan said the cases associated with hockey were linked to other cases in at least 24 K-12 schools in the state. He said it's a sign that the cases associated with hockey are leading to broader community spread of the coronavirus in New Hampshire.

The two-week pause on hockey includes college teams and ice skating, Sununu said. The state plans to work with rink owners, hockey officials and teams to examine current procedures and test those involved with the sport.

Sununu and Chan noted that there has been no sign of COVID-19 spreading widely in other sports. Sununu said the guidance the state drafted for youth sports appears to be working for other sports.

Parents of New Hampshire hockey players were stunned by the governor's announcement.

"It's a shame because I think it's just being blown out of proportion," hockey dad Tony Sabetti said. "I think the kids are paying the price for it."

Sabetti's son plays at Cyclones Arena in Hudson. He said his son has been tested four times because of hockey and has been in isolation three times. His son has tested negative every time so far.

"They're not near each other for more than three to four minutes per game," Sabetti said. "So, I think football, soccer, all those sports you're going to be closer to people that aren't protected."

Two weeks without ice time is frustrating for players, Raffi Podniesinki is a goalie in Keene. Every year he participates in the October Saves Goalie Challenge which raises money for organizations helping with children's and women's cancers.
Interesting...not real surprising but, interesting. As I've said previously, with 40% being asymptomatic it's going to be impossible to minimize outbreaks or, even know they're occurring without at least a weekly regular mandatory testing program like what is required at the NCAA and professional levels. Youth and high school players, parents, and officials are all on the "honor system". And, with as much as 40% of the population not thinking it's very serious or, willing to at least do the proper things in public settings, we're in for a challenging winter. All any of us can do is accept our personal responsibility to do what we're asked and hopefully, there aren't many interruptions.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:10 pm

Truly not trying to get anyone going. Since Elliott forwarded on his info, I figured I'd see what else might have occurred. So, posting links to articles I found specific to hockey that all can choose to read or not. Here's a link to an article regarding an outbreak on a QMJHL team...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/latest- ... --spt.html

Eighteen members of a Quebec Major Junior Hockey League team have tested positive for the coronavirus and have been placed in isolation for 14 days, the team and league reported Wednesday.

No shock on this one as it involves the USPHL which, is a pretty low level of Tier III hockey...

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/coronavi ... unior-team

"Nearly two dozen players on a Cobb County hockey team tested positive for COVID-19 after a weekend of games with a visiting team from North Carolina, a Cobb team official has confirmed. A little over two weeks ago, the Carolina Junior Hurricanes, based in Wake Forest near Raleigh, had an outbreak among some of their players. Those who tested positive stayed home, and players who tested negative were allowed to travel to Georgia for four weekend games against the Cobb-based Atlanta MadHatters Sept. 26-27, according to Raj Kalra, managing director of the Atlanta team. Two teams from each group, an elite and a premier-level team, played two games for a total of four throughout the weekend."

"Even though the Hurricanes who played in Cobb had tested negative, and no one from either team displayed any symptoms during the matches, one of the Hurricanes started feeling symptoms on the ride home", Kalra told the MDJ.
"We found out through one of our players that there was some possible exposure, and we would have preferred for someone in the league to tell us what had happened,” Kalra said. “That was the frustration on the communication side.”

Link to a news video out of Massachusetts about an outbreak associated with a youth hockey tournament.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/10/14/ ... -rockland/

And, as far west as we can go....

https://thehill.com/homenews/520499-cov ... tournament

Now back east...This is from New Hampshire...

https://hosted.ap.org/article/a72c4accf ... ockey-rink

https://www.unionleader.com/news/health ... 3f4f3.html

Last one, promise...this a CNN article about an adult rec game in Tampa last June I believe...

The virus is aerosolized. Indoor gatherings/events are going to be very, very, challenging...

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Oops, forgot the actual link to the CNN article...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/15/health/c ... index.html

Yoopskater

Post by Yoopskater » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:12 pm

Very low risk group, these hockey players. Let them play, get it over with.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:11 am

Just providing stats. Nothing political about it.
Attachments
BCC48DA8-938D-4480-A98A-062F2717BF08.png
BCC48DA8-938D-4480-A98A-062F2717BF08.png (220.57 KiB) Viewed 49817 times
388B633D-54E5-4D40-AF7E-75DB25E02DC1.png
388B633D-54E5-4D40-AF7E-75DB25E02DC1.png (209.17 KiB) Viewed 49817 times
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:59 am

Yoopskater wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:12 pm
Yes,they are a low risk group. Sadly, when they leave the rink they interact with many who are not in a low risk group, parents, grandparents, neighbors, etc. Many of the populations have tried to slow the spread by wearing a mask and social distancing, but we've had others disregard any type of scientific guidance. Its going to be a long winter, because we don't want to inconvenience anyone.

Is it true that MH has events going on this weekend with teams from other states? If so, that is simply irresponsible. What are the rules or guidelines. While I'm sure there are some "stated," I'd bet enforcement is really lax.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:10 am

Puckguy19 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:59 am
Yoopskater wrote:
Yes,they are a low risk group. Sadly, when they leave the rink they interact with many who are not in a low risk group, parents, grandparents, neighbors, etc. Many of the populations have tried to slow the spread by wearing a mask and social distancing, but we've had others disregard any type of scientific guidance. Its going to be a long winter, because we don't want to inconvenience anyone.

Is it true that MH has events going on this weekend with teams from other states? If so, that is simply irresponsible. What are the rules or guidelines. While I'm sure there are some "stated," I'd bet enforcement is really lax.
Girls 14U tier 1 paly-off.
Only non-MN team I think is North Dakota.
If I remember right the people that are running it will be monitoring closely so do not bet too much.

The rules have been made more stringent (by district directors) and to be voted on by the BOD for full placement.
I cannot speak to how the soon to be mandatory rules will effect juniors but I am assuming they will need to follow them when playin gin MN.

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Thanks for the update, Director. Glad to have your leadership with MH.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:39 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:10 am
Puckguy19 wrote:
Yoopskater wrote:

If I remember right the people that are running it will be monitoring closely so do not bet too much.

The rules have been made more stringent (by district directors) and to be voted on by the BOD for full placement.
I cannot speak to how the soon to be mandatory rules will effect juniors but I am assuming they will need to follow them when playin gin MN.
Minnesota Hockey is doing good work.

On the other hand, have a look at the Girls' NIT list of teams. Five teams from Wisconsin, teams from Chicago, Pennsylvania, Vermont, North Dakota, Texas, Indiana, California, Missouri, and from northern MN where schools are now considering whether to send kids home and go online.

I hope for the best, but have a lot of concern about what's going on.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:47 pm

I couldn't agree more JG. 27 teams in town from out-of-state from CA to TX to PA (8 states plus the DC area) in addition to the northern MN teams and Shattuck. Anyone else concerned?

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:36 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:39 pm
elliott70 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:10 am
Puckguy19 wrote:

Minnesota Hockey is doing good work.

On the other hand, have a look at the Girls' NIT list of teams. Five teams from Wisconsin, teams from Chicago, Pennsylvania, Vermont, North Dakota, Texas, Indiana, California, Missouri, and from northern MN where schools are now considering whether to send kids home and go online.

I hope for the best, but have a lot of concern about what's going on.
Yeah, that’s really not a good look. Why push those kind of boundaries. Fine for the players, but who are the adults in the room?

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:19 pm

If colleges in the state can bring kids in from anywhere and everywhere in the country I don’t think a hockey tournament is an issue causing a breaking point here.

There isn’t a whole lot of consistency going on.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:20 am

goldy313 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:19 pm
If colleges in the state can bring kids in from anywhere and everywhere in the country I don’t think a hockey tournament is an issue causing a breaking point here.

It doesn't matter that much, but colleges are at least testing and tracing their students.

Aside from that I completely agree with you. We're long past any breaking point anywhere in America.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:39 pm

Yoopskater wrote:

#-o :roll: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Yooper, there's an old saying that goes...

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." 8)

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:51 pm

goldy313 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:19 pm

Agreed that there is little consistency in how we are approaching this in our 50 different Covid reaction experiments. And, even within our state. However, based on the links I provided, I think it's more than evident that the, "we haven't had hardly any significant outbreaks due to hockey this summer so, it's obviously safe to play" line of reasoning is likely a massive fallacy. Again, we have no real idea because these kids aren't being tested regularly.

And, I also agree it probably won't be a breaking point. But, what a "breaking point" is in relation to further spread would probably vary widely. My larger point is, if in fact we know that by not allowing teams from outside of our state from areas of the country with high infection and test positivity rates will reduce the chances of further spread, why wouldn't we do that? Just because some other entity has chosen not to take those limiting types of steps? That doesn't seem to be a very strong logic train to me but, hey, maybe I'm the fool... :wink:

ShakestheClown

Post by ShakestheClown » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:02 pm

I was at the NIT tournament all weekend at Vadnais Heights, so I can only speak of the protocols in place there. There were teams from all over coming in, which has been stated previously. However, there was the most stringent and enforced COVID protocols I have seen all summer or fall in place. Strict adherence to entering (when, where, and who), Ramsey county employees entering locker rooms between periods and after games to enforce rules, multiple teams wearing masks during play, and the parents for the most part staying apart and always fully masked.

The only absolute way to keep people from getting sick is to not let the games happen, but short of that the Elite League on the girls side did a great job this weekend.

Dog

Post by Dog » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:11 pm

Wise Old Man wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:39 pm
Yoopskater wrote:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." 8)
If only you'd take your own advice

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:18 pm

👆🤨
Play Like a Champion Today

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:46 pm

blueblood wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:18 pm
👆🤨
Pretty sums up the world right now doesn't it? :lol:

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:59 am

👍
Play Like a Champion Today

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:18 am

In WOM defense. He’s posting stats to support his thoughts. Most posts are just “let the kids play” cause we can’t live in a shell. I don’t look at that as him being a fool Dog. Just seems to me that the way of the world is trashing somebody cause they don’t agree . That is the world in which we are currently living. I’ve lived the world of youth, high school, and college hockey first as a player , then coach, then parent. It was the most important thing in the world to me. Then it ended. Now I sit back and feel a little embarrassed how I acted. Don’t get me wrong. Still love the game. But that’s all it is. Don’t EVER forget that. You’ll end up like me laughing at yourself for taking this game so seriously. One final point. Kids development will not be stunted by a few missed months or even a year. Dillon Samberg missed most of his sophomore year. I saw him on probably the best htown team ever first game his junior year and he jumped out immediately as the best player on the ice.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:27 pm

Dog wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:11 pm
Wise Old Man wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:39 pm
Yoopskater wrote:

If only you'd take your own advice

I'm not the one arguing against science :roll: