covid and MH

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Re: covid and MH

Post by WestMetro »

Iron Ranger :

CDC says 43, 557 Minn deaths thru Dec 12, in their data chart below How do you get to 49,000 by Dec 31? I figure about 46, 500 or so, including the final 19 days ?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm
ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 »

WM-

The place where you pulled that number 43,557 from is for weekending dates of 2/1/2020 through 12/12/2020. I took the full year starting with week ending date 1/4/2020 by pulling up the actual week by week spreadsheet. You are short a month on your count.

Take a look at the header before scrolling down to the state by state data (Table 2). I would have probably done the same thing, but I dove right into the spreadsheet first and didn't notice the data they had directly on the page link. I couldn't figure out why the spreadsheet data was different than what they were reporting, but it matches up when you throw the 1st four weeks out.

They also have disclaimers for some weeks in the week by week spreadsheet that they don't have the full data from the state yet. Doing a little research on both CDC and MDH leads me to believe that there are sometimes issues with counties getting the data in right away to the state, which in turn affects the CDC. To the CDC's credit, they do make a footnote if they have incomplete state data on a certain week.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

That’s an excellent catch Iron Ranger 2 ! Flummoxed by the CDC tables! My Chisholm grandfather teacher would NOT be happy with me! That being the case ,we may end up closer to 48000-49000 annual grand total deaths , in which case Covid deaths could flow throw 80% + to the grand total increase from recent years