"Before and After"

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HockeyCrazy1970

"Before and After"

Post by HockeyCrazy1970 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:45 am

So many previous and current posts keep mentioning "before and after" as an option for our star players this year (and previous years). Even the fellas over on the YHH podcast seem to throw this option around quite lightly. Seems to me that many posters to this forum and the YHH guys are under the impression that if the MSHSL season starts to look more solid or that if a State Tourney gets figured out, these top players will simply decide to come back from their USHL or NAHL teams at that time. I had a nice conversation with a major AA program's Athletic Director. VERY FEW of these top players will be eligible to come back according to my conversation with the AD and the following document the AD emailed me. AD said that the student must be able to prove they have been physically back in their school district once every 15 school days. To be eligible they will have been returning accordingly and planning to return this entire time.
How many of the players who have scattered all over the country for main camps, training camps, pre-season, and the juniors' season before MSHSL season in Dec... can say they made it back to school and logged in physically from their district once every 15 school days? If you want to protect a star player who is currently gone to juniors (or if you want to knock a player out trying to return) familiarize yourselves with the actual "before and after" requirements. Make everyone aware they may need to prove this "once every 15 school days requirement". Part of the AD's email, "The student must remain a resident of the school district (Students who are enrolled in the district through open enrollment must remain residents of the student’s resident district or otherwise comply with the requirements of Minnesota Statutes Section 124D.03).  This means the student must maintain a permanent residence in the District and must not be absent from the District for 15 or more consecutive school days.  The student must attend the online learning program from within the District no less than one time every 15 consecutive school days.  It is the responsibility of the family to document the student’s return to the district every 15 days, but would be required to report the dates upon request of the superintendent."

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Re: "Before and After"

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Just FYI, most, not all but most, kids who do before and after have already planned it out with their school’s AD. Stipulations aren’t a surprise to those who did.

HockeyCrazy1970

Post by HockeyCrazy1970 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:59 pm

That is my point. Many posts and the guys on the podcast think these players are just going to decide at the last minute what they are going to do. This is an arduous requirement and can't be considered haphazardly. For these kids who are off in Omaha or Lincoln or Chicago, Etc... it will not be easy for them to actually stay eligible by meeting the requirement that they come back once every three weeks. I believe it is a stretch to think these kids are meeting this requirement so that they have the luxury to decide at the last minute to come back in case a state tournament seems likely between now and the start of the season. Teams give these kids one day a week off usually Sunday. So I believe 1 of 3 things...
1) you are correct and they have been planning this all along with their AD and are making those crazy sacrifices to stay eligible.
2) they know they are not coming back and aren't even trying to make it home once every 3 weeks.
3) they come back and aren't eligible...and nobody is asking

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:40 am

Yes, all three of those scenarios are accurate. This year might have a few less that planned out, but again typically students doing before and after do coordinate with their ADs even if they are unsure if they’re coming back. They do it right so they have a backup plan. I can think of a couple situations in the last year or so where possibility 3 played out, but #1 is the most common.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:55 pm

If my kids math teacher can distance “teach” from her condo in Panama City Beach why can’t my kid distance “learn” from someplace else? The hypocrisy in this whole thing is stupid. If kids are required to be physically in school then they need to be there, if not they should be allowed to be wherever they want.

lakescountrylife

Post by lakescountrylife » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:55 am

goldy313 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:55 pm
If my kids math teacher can distance “teach” from her condo in Panama City Beach why can’t my kid distance “learn” from someplace else? The hypocrisy in this whole thing is stupid. If kids are required to be physically in school then they need to be there, if not they should be allowed to be wherever they want.
I hear CBD oil is good for limiting ranting like this...

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:39 pm

Explain what or why you disagree. It is not a rant, just an observation, there is no requirement for teachers to be here during distance learning, why are students any different? Just because they play a sport?

Maybe there is a valid reason, clearly you think there is. Please explain why.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:53 am

goldy313 wrote:
In the school district I am most familiar with the teachers distance learn from the class room.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:25 am

elliott70 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:53 am
goldy313 wrote:
In the school district I am most familiar with the teachers distance learn from the class room.
That was our district as well this spring (we are currently hybrid for middle school and high school, in person for elementary). Teachers were in the classrooms unless the weather would not allow them to get there. Then they were expected to teach from home.

HockeyCrazy1970

Post by HockeyCrazy1970 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:24 pm

It is my understanding after the conversation with the athletic director that the requirement has to do with the federal funds that the School receives for each student enrolled and that is a requirement. Something like $8,000 per student...

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:17 am

^^^^That makes sense. There was an argument in my district between the school board and teachers union. The union prevails and being available is the deciding factor, not your location. My educated guess is less than 50% of the teachers teach from school. Of course Wood shop, small engine repair, even math is hard to teach online.