7A early prediction

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

7A winner?

Hermantown
74%
Duluth Denfeld
26%
possible but not probable
No votes

Total votes: 19

elliott70

7A early prediction

Post by elliott70 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 pm

QRF
Hermantown
Duluth Denfeld
Hibbing
Virginia

Who else besides Hermantown?
Well since Denfeld has kicked the covid quarantine they seem to be on fire.

But the battle for third place could be very exciting.

rainier2

Re: 7A early prediction

Post by rainier2 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:18 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 pm
QRF
Hermantown
Duluth Denfeld
Hibbing
Virginia

Who else besides Hermantown?
Well since Denfeld has kicked the covid quarantine they seem to be on fire.

But the battle for third place could be very exciting.
Hibbing took the lead for the #3 seed with the win over Virginia last night, but I'd say Eveleth and Virginia are still in contention. We'll see if Greenway can get into the mix when they meet Hibbing on Friday.

Essentially, these teams are gunning for the #3 seed so they can have at least a hope of upsetting Denfeld before losing to the team that should be competing for the AA title.

Can Denfeld ultimately knock off the Hawks? Hope so, but don't think it's likely.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:29 pm

We will know a lot more in a few weeks. Denfeld and Hermantown face off twice within nine days. Hunters need to improve on the defensive end to have a chance.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:49 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:29 pm
We will know a lot more in a few weeks. Denfeld and Hermantown face off twice within nine days. Hunters need to improve on the defensive end to have a chance.
Agreed. Dennis Green proved that offense alone is not enough.😀

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:38 am

So, in one of the few silver linings of the pandemic, I've been able to watch just about every 7A team this year, and here's my take:

1. Hermantown-Loaded, of course. Denfeld kept it somewhat close last night, but the 56-13 shot differential suggests that a rematch wouldn't likely be any closer. This year it seems sweet karma has placed Gentry Academy at the end of their sandy, well-worn path to the A title game but there's a lot of hockey to be played before then.

2. Denfeld-Top ten, possibly top five Class A team with several excellent forwards and a great goalie, yet will need to pull massive upset to get to state. That said, they should absolutely make it to the 7A title game, so they'll very likely at least get a shot.

3. Hibbing-With largely the same roster as last season, the difference is night and day. The new coaching staff has this team steadily improving, as the players shake off the bad habits learned under the previous regime. With each passing game they are generating more puck possession, zone time, and shots, yet need to finish better and solve the occasional defensive yips that have had them sweating out wins or losing to teams they outshoot more than 2-1. Would like to see them move one of their top six forwards to defense, but for some reason the coaches never call me for my opinion. Will likely need to beat Eveleth and Virginia to secure the #3 seed.

4. Eveleth-This team is surging, as they recently played Cloquet very tough and routed Proctor even though they were missing several varsity players. They already have solid defense and goaltending, and if the offense continues to improve, the #3 seed is theirs for the taking. Rematches with Hibbing and Virginia loom large.

5. Virginia-Jumped out to early lead for the #3 seed, but the loss to Hibbing set them back. If they can beat Eveleth again, then the season finale vs Hibbing will be their chance to lock up the 3.

6. Greenway-Cardiac kids, with four 1 goal games, four OT games, and two ties. Huge win over Hibbing recently keeps them alive for the #3 if they can use that same grit and effort to beat Eveleth and Virginia. If they do end up as the #6 seed, they will give the #3 seed all they can handle.

7. I-Falls-They have a good goalie and some opportunistic scoring, which could have them at least putting a scare into someone come playoff time.

8. North Shore-Tough loss to Greenway last night for a team that seems to be improving.

9. Proctor-I thought they would be better this year, as they returned almost all of their scoring, but the going has been tough thus far.
10. Ely-Tough sledding thus far for the Wolves, but they continue to battle.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:49 pm

Good stuff, ranier. I appreciate the insights on the mid-pack teams. I actually haven’t watched much of 7A beyond the top two, though I have definitely taken note of Hibbing’s recent wins and checked out the box scores.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:48 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:49 pm
Good stuff, ranier. I appreciate the insights on the mid-pack teams. I actually haven’t watched much of 7A beyond the top two, though I have definitely taken note of Hibbing’s recent wins and checked out the box scores.
The eye test tells me Hibbing is a top 20 team, but the end results just haven't been consistent enough yet, so no dice.

Tough break for Virginia that two top upperclassmen forwards transferred to Eveleth, otherwise the Devils would be right on Denfeld's heels. I guess those two players just couldn't wait for the merger... :D

Kudos on the weekly A rankings, Stang. 8)

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:14 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Tough break for Virginia that two top upperclassmen forwards transferred to Eveleth, otherwise the Devils would be right on Denfeld's heels. I guess those two players just couldn't wait for the merger... :D
And those two scored both of Eveleth's goals tonight in their 2-2 tie against Virginia. Virginia got a 6 on 3 powerplay goal with 7 seconds left or those goals would've held up. The tie probably gives Virginia the driver's seat for the #3 seed now, but they still have 3 section opponents left. Don't sleep on Eveleth though, they've only lost 4 games... 2 to Cloquet, the first matchup against Virginia, and of course, Hermantown. Hibbing is not too far behind, either.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:48 am

PuckRanger wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:14 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
And those two scored both of Eveleth's goals tonight in their 2-2 tie against Virginia. Virginia got a 6 on 3 powerplay goal with 7 seconds left or those goals would've held up. The tie probably gives Virginia the driver's seat for the #3 seed now, but they still have 3 section opponents left. Don't sleep on Eveleth though, they've only lost 4 games... 2 to Cloquet, the first matchup against Virginia, and of course, Hermantown. Hibbing is not too far behind, either.
Agreed, I think the winner of the Virginia-Hibbing game will get the #3 seed. Eveleth, Hibbing, and Virginia will all have similar section records at the end of the season, it appears, and results against other common opponents also seem very similar. As these three teams are clearly the 3-4-5 seeds, I'd think it comes down to how they played within this group. (As long as none of these teams blow it against one of the lower seeds in the last few games, of course.)

Eveleth is 1-1-2 within the group.

If Hibbing wins, they'd be 2-1-1, if they lose, 1-2-1. Same for Virginia. If Hibbing and Virginia tie, then I think Virginia would get the #3, based on them sweeping Greenway, whom Hibbing split with and Eveleth went 1-0-1. So I guess the more I look at this, I don't see how Eveleth gets the #3 unless Virginia or Hibbing loses to a Proctor, North Shore, or I-Falls down the stretch.

Thoughts?

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:45 am

rainier2 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:48 am
PuckRanger wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:14 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
Agreed, I think the winner of the Virginia-Hibbing game will get the #3 seed. Eveleth, Hibbing, and Virginia will all have similar section records at the end of the season, it appears, and results against other common opponents also seem very similar. As these three teams are clearly the 3-4-5 seeds, I'd think it comes down to how they played within this group. (As long as none of these teams blow it against one of the lower seeds in the last few games, of course.)

Eveleth is 1-1-2 within the group.

If Hibbing wins, they'd be 2-1-1, if they lose, 1-2-1. Same for Virginia. If Hibbing and Virginia tie, then I think Virginia would get the #3, based on them sweeping Greenway, whom Hibbing split with and Eveleth went 1-0-1. So I guess the more I look at this, I don't see how Eveleth gets the #3 unless Virginia or Hibbing loses to a Proctor, North Shore, or I-Falls down the stretch.

Thoughts?
My only thought on that is Hibbing does have a loss to Greenway that the others would not. They would be the only team in the group with a loss to one of the lower teams. However, there are still quite a few games left that can throw a wrench into things even further. I don't see anyone being challenged by Proctor and most likely by North Shore either, but Virginia traditionally struggles when they play up in I Falls -- even in years when they have had far superior teams, so I would not call that game a lock. Maybe the lack of fans this year will help will help with that. Greenway could still have a say in things also as they have games remaining against Eveleth, I Falls, and Denfeld.

Here is the way I see it right now going into the last week or so of the season:

Code: Select all

#  Team        Overall (Win %) Section (Win %)
 1. Hermantown  14 -1-0 (.933)  7-0-0 (1.000)
 2. Denfeld      7- 2-1 (.750)  5-2-0 (.714)
 3. Virginia     7- 7-1 (.500)  7-3-1 (.682)
 4. Eveleth      6- 4-4 (.571)  6-2-3 (.682)
 5. Hibbing      7- 6-1 (.536)  6-4-1 (.591)
 6. Greenway     6- 7-2 (.467)  6-5-1 (.542)
 7. Int'l Falls  6- 8-0 (.429)  3-8-0 (.278)
 8. North Shore  4- 9-0 (.308)  3-8-0 (.278)
 9. Proctor      2-12-1 (.167)  0-8-0 (.000)
10. Ely          0- 8-0 (.000)  0-3-0 (.000)
If you were to use the QRF and follow the tie breaker procedures, due to the cyclical nature of Virginia winning the head-to-head over Eveleth, and Eveleth over Hibbing, and then Hibbing over Virginia, the ties would be broken using conference points since they are all in the same conference. As of right now, this would put Eveleth at #3 based on conference points, Hibbing would be the #4 seed by the next tie breaker, overall winning percentage, and Virginia drops to #5 because both have the same point total in the conference. Greenway could be one upset away from getting mixed into this tie breaker process also. Not that it really matters since they don't use QRF in 7A, but it could be a useful argument for a coach or two at the seeding meeting.

No matter how they finish, there should be two very competitive quarter final games between 3-6 and 4-5. Unfortunately, I think the play-in games will be lopsided as will the games those two winners play afterwards. One semifinal at least has a chance at being a game, but that's probably all we'll get is 3 good playoff games at most.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:22 am

Well, Greenway's win over Eveleth last night makes seeding beyond the top two that much more difficult, and could potentially push Eveleth, who seemed to have the inside track to #3 not that long ago, all the way to #6.

The easiest path to #3 belongs to Virginia, who, if they beat Hibbing Thursday night, will lock that in without much argument. In this case, I'd say it'd be Eveleth-Hibbing-Greenway at 4-5-6.

If Hibbing wins, I think they get the #3, because they'd have two more conference wins than Eveleth. And even though Eveleth is 1-0-1 vs Hibbing, to be put ahead of Hibbing, Eveleth would have to leapfrog two teams (Virginia, Greenway) that they are 0-1-1 against each. If this happens, I'd say it'd be Virginia-Eveleth-Greenway at 4-5-6. (with Eveleth possibly falling to 6)

Either way, the 4-5 and 3-6 games should be exciting, with the semi vs Denfeld hopefully a good game also.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:57 am

Of course, it is still coaches vote so anything could happen.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:03 am

elliott70 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:57 am
Of course, it is still coaches vote so anything could happen.
Very true, hard to predict with so much parity at 3-6.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:17 am

Hibbing beats Virginia 4-3 last night, sweeping the Devils for the season, so I gotta think that gets the Bluejackets the #3 seed. Even though it's a coaches' vote, the UpNorth Hockey guys were saying the 7A seeding almost always ends up following the QRF, apparently. In that case (QRF):

1. Herm (2)
2. Denfeld (15)
3. Hibbing (29)
4. Virginia (38)
5. Eveleth (40)
6. Greenway (48)
7. I-Falls (57)
8. North Shore (69)
9. Proctor (70)
10 Ely (83)

Greenway may have had a chance to pass Eveleth, but the Raiders tied I-Falls last night to finish 0-1-1 vs the Broncos, so not only is that not likely to happen, but the possibility exists that I-Falls gets the #6.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:09 pm

Heard an hour or so ago that Hibbing boys and girls may have COVID challenges.

raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:38 pm

Wise Old Man wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:09 pm
The way this year's going with this covid crap, a few teams that would not make the tournament may unexpectedly waltz in due to this.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:05 am

Wise Old Man wrote:
Ugh, COVID sucks. :cry:

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:05 am

rainier2 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:05 am
Wise Old Man wrote:
Ugh, COVID sucks. :cry:
I guess the varsity girls and bantam A's seasons are over due to COVID, but the varsity boys are still going.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:40 am

Hermantown wins 7A in a shocker. :^o

Way too early 2022 prediction:

Hermantown might be even better next year.

Denfeld losing some key pieces, but shouldn't drop off too much and will likely stay in top ten.

Hibbing and Virginia will both be better and close the gap with Denfeld, but probably still a step behind Hunters.

Rest of pack likely a tier below Hibbing and Virginia.

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:35 am

rainier2 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:40 am

Denfeld losing some key pieces, but shouldn't drop off too much and will likely stay in top ten.

Hibbing and Virginia will both be better and close the gap with Denfeld, but probably still a step behind Hunters.

100% accurate. Wouldn't be shocked to see Hibbing or Virginia pull an upset against Denfeld, but probably not likely. Doesn't really matter, because I also believe Hermantown will be even better next year.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed May 12, 2021 9:42 am

ironranger2 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:35 am
rainier2 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:40 am

100% accurate. Wouldn't be shocked to see Hibbing or Virginia pull an upset against Denfeld, but probably not likely. Doesn't really matter, because I also believe Hermantown will be even better next year.
Now that Rock Ridge will be a hockey team next year, they should be right there with Denfeld competing for the #2 seed, but still don't see them beating the Evil Empire.