Grand Rapids vs Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Grand Rapids
39%
Hermantown
61%

Total votes: 18

elliott70

Grand Rapids vs Hermantown

Post by elliott70 »

This game probably deserves its own thread.

Who wins?
and other thoughts.

Grand Rapids on the road.
Rapids 7-0-0

Hermantown 9-0-0

common opponents
Duluth East and Brainerd
Rapids over DEast 3-0 Hermantown over DEast 5-1
Rapids over Brainerd 6-2 Hermantown over Brainerd 6-1

Should be a good game.
TheNightman

Re: Grand Rapids vs Hermantown

Post by TheNightman »

Hermantown 5-3
farmtown55

Post by farmtown55 »

GR 3-2
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

TheNightman wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:22 am Hermantown 5-3
Care to give us this weekends winning lottery numbers too?
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

For the win!!!!
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Schotzy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:40 am
For the win!!!!
:D
Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey »

Rapids is buying themselves a trip to Anoka County for scheduling Hermantown twice. Jesus forgives, QRF does not!
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Rails Hockey wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:33 pm Rapids is buying themselves a trip to Anoka County for scheduling Hermantown twice. Jesus forgives, QRF does not!
:lol:

Perhaps, Andover doesn't exactly have a smooth ride either with MG and games against Cent & TG could also be stumbling blocks.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

InThePipes wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:47 am
Rails Hockey wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:33 pm Rapids is buying themselves a trip to Anoka County for scheduling Hermantown twice. Jesus forgives, QRF does not!

Perhaps, Andover doesn't exactly have a smooth ride either with MG and games against Cent & TG could also be stumbling blocks.
True, but QRF docks you more for losing to a class A opponent vs a AA opponent
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

bardown27 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:22 am
InThePipes wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:47 am

True, but QRF docks you more for losing to a class A opponent vs a AA opponent
And Rapids certainly could beat Htown in the rematch. Looked like Thursday's game could have gone either way. Further, THawks still ahead of Andover in latest QRF, though with a lot of season left to play
Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey »

Hermantown is clearly better than them. I don’t understand why East scheduled them twice either. Could result in their worst seed in years. I’ve heard the Covid, keep things local thing but East was just at Minnetonka and Rapids went to Aldrich to play Hill-Murray. So not sure how that applies.
norcon

Post by norcon »

Rails Hockey wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:04 pm Hermantown is clearly better than them. I don’t understand why East scheduled them twice either. Could result in their worst seed in years. I’ve heard the Covid, keep things local thing but East was just at Minnetonka and Rapids went to Aldrich to play Hill-Murray. So not sure how that applies.
Hermantown is clearly better than Rapids? That’s a bit of an exaggeration! It was a very good game and could have went either way. Hermantown hadn’t been challenged by anybody yet with the cupcake schedule they play. Shot totals don’t mean a whole lot either if they’re not quality chances. Rapids goaltender was not at his best either that night. We’ll see what happens in the rematch.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Rails Hockey wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:04 pm Hermantown is clearly better than them. I don’t understand why East scheduled them twice either. Could result in their worst seed in years. I’ve heard the Covid, keep things local thing but East was just at Minnetonka and Rapids went to Aldrich to play Hill-Murray. So not sure how that applies.
Rapids is now in the same conference as Hermantown, so that's why they play twice. East's schedule-making was very challenging this year; I think they were initially barred from travel and that barrier became more flexible only after most of the schedule was built. I know Tonka was a late addition and took a lot of wrangling. They've also got teams like Virginia and Hibbing on the schedule this season just to fill it out. I assume Rapids had similar difficulties.

The north/south playoff brackets also blunt the seeding impact of this decision. The north is basically locked in at 1. Rapids 2. East 3. Cloquet 4. Marshall. The only thing it will affect is the location of the section final, where I agree that the Hermantown games have some chance of costing Rapids (or I guess East in an upset) the chance to host that game.

As for the game, I thought Hermantown was a little bit better, but not clearly better, and Rapids will have a healthy chance to win the rematch at IRA. The Hawks certainly have more front-end talent up front and may be a bit deeper on D, while Rapids generally plays tighter defensive hockey and may have the edge in goal.
Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey »

karl(east) wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:54 pm
Rapids is now in the same conference as Hermantown, so that's why they play twice. East's schedule-making was very challenging this year; I think they were initially barred from travel and that barrier became more flexible only after most of the schedule was built. I know Tonka was a late addition and took a lot of wrangling. They've also got teams like Virginia and Hibbing on the schedule this season just to fill it out. I assume Rapids had similar difficulties.

The north/south playoff brackets also blunt the seeding impact of this decision. The north is basically locked in at 1. Rapids 2. East 3. Cloquet 4. Marshall. The only thing it will affect is the location of the section final, where I agree that the Hermantown games have some chance of costing Rapids (or I guess East in an upset) the chance to host that game.

As for the game, I thought Hermantown was a little bit better, but not clearly better, and Rapids will have a healthy chance to win the rematch at IRA. The Hawks certainly have more front-end talent up front and may be a bit deeper on D, while Rapids generally plays tighter defensive hockey and may have the edge in goal.
Same conference means one game, not two. And Rapids has scheduled them twice the last few years, before they were in the LSC. And Rapids does not play all the LSC teams this year. If it’s the difference between hosting the Section final at IRA or traveling to Andover it’s a net negative regardless of the quality of the games, in my opinion.

You make a good point on East’s schedule, thanks for the clarification on that. I can see now that the two games probably don’t affect them in the same way as Rapids if it plays out the way we think. I don’t have the schedule in front of me but I thought they had a couple more trips to the Metro other than Tonka also.

Love hearing other’s opinions but the way I see it, Rapids may have an edge at Goalie. The Hawks goalie is talented, I’ve watched him play for a long time, even before he transferred to Hermantown. But he’s young and untested so I’ll give the edge to Rapids. Pierce and Peart cancel each other out. After that, it’s all Hermantown. In my humble opinion.
Last edited by Rails Hockey on Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norcon

Post by norcon »

Rails Hockey wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:20 pm

Same conference means one game, not two. And Rapids has scheduled them twice the last few years, before they were in the LSC. If it’s the difference between hosting the Section final at IRA or traveling to Andover it’s a net negative regardless of the quality of the games, in my opinion.

You make a good point on East’s schedule, thanks for the clarification on that. I can see now that the two games probably don’t affect them in the same way as Rapids if it plays out the way we think. I don’t have the schedule in front of me but I thought they had a couple more trips to the Metro other than Tonka also.

Love hearing other’s opinions but the way I see it, Rapids may have an edge at Goalie. The Hawks goalie is talented, I’ve watched him play for a long time, even before he transferred to Hermantown. But he’s young and untested so I’ll give the edge to Rapids. Pierce and Peart cancel each other out. After that, it’s all Hermantown. In my humble opinion.
The banter is great after all that COVID crap that was on here for months. I have to respectfully disagree though that Pierce and Peart cancel each other out. I really like Pierce but there’s no one in the state who cancels out Jack Peart and I think most of the NHL scouts at that game would tell you that.
Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey »

norcon wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:33 pm

Same conference means one game, not two. And Rapids has scheduled them twice the last few years, before they were in the LSC. If it’s the difference between hosting the Section final at IRA or traveling to Andover it’s a net negative regardless of the quality of the games, in my opinion.

The banter is great after all that COVID crap that was on here for months. I have to respectfully disagree though that Pierce and Peart cancel each other out. I really like Pierce but there’s no one in the state who cancels out Jack Peart and I think most of the NHL scouts at that game would tell you that.
Fair point and certainly no disrespect meant. He might be my favorite player in the State this year and I hope he wins Mr. Hockey. Pierce is very good too though. Not enough difference to give Rapids the edge at D in my opinion.
norcon

Post by norcon »

Rails Hockey wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:42 pm
norcon wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:33 pm

Fair point and certainly no disrespect meant. He might be my favorite player in the State this year and I hope he wins Mr. Hockey. Pierce is very good too though. Not enough difference to give Rapids the edge at D in my opinion.
Good stuff! Reminds me of the good old days on here 😀
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

I disagree. Let's go back to Covid talk......... I kid, I kid... :D :)
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

How is this a net negative?
"Same conference means one game, not two. And Rapids has scheduled them twice the last few years, before they were in the LSC. If it’s the difference between hosting the Section final at IRA or traveling to Andover it’s a net negative regardless of the quality of the games, in my opinion."

Just bringing back the good old times! It doesn't matter if section finals and semi-finals are at Amsoil, but it does if they are in Andover? :D
norcon

Post by norcon »

MWS coach wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:40 pm How is this a net negative?
"Same conference means one game, not two. And Rapids has scheduled them twice the last few years, before they were in the LSC. If it’s the difference between hosting the Section final at IRA or traveling to Andover it’s a net negative regardless of the quality of the games, in my opinion."

Just bringing back the good old times! It doesn't matter if section finals and semi-finals are at Amsoil, but it does if they are in Andover? :D
Personally, I believe the section final should be moved around to neutral sites. Alternate between Bemidji in the north and St. Cloud in the south. Amsoil is nice but very overrated by a few on this board. The atmosphere there the last number of years has been very stale. Time to take away Easts home ice advantage too.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

norcon wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:18 pm

Personally, I believe the section final should be moved around to neutral sites. Alternate between Bemidji in the north and St. Cloud in the south. Amsoil is nice but very overrated by a few on this board. The atmosphere there the last number of years has been very stale. Time to take away Easts home ice advantage too.
Blah, blah, blah, East has an advantage...blah...Amsoil sucks....blah, blah, blah. :wink:

It is not Amsoil that is "stale". If anything, the match-ups are what suck the energy out of the building. It is a neutral site. Nothing stopping the southern teams from scheduling practice ice at Amsoil. :lol: There is a television/streaming contract that the MSHSL makes money from. That money goes away if moved to any site outside the WDIO (Duluth's ABC Affiliate) viewing area. Amsoil is set up to accommodate said television broadcasts. The television bit is probably the main reason the section games are played in Duluth.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Also all the coaches have voted to play the games at Amsoil. So the only people that really care are the fans.
Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey »

Schotzy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:56 am
norcon wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:18 pm

Blah, blah, blah, East has an advantage...blah...Amsoil sucks....blah, blah, blah. :wink:

It is not Amsoil that is "stale". If anything, the match-ups are what suck the energy out of the building. It is a neutral site. Nothing stopping the southern teams from scheduling practice ice at Amsoil. :lol: There is a television/streaming contract that the MSHSL makes money from. That money goes away if moved to any site outside the WDIO (Duluth's ABC Affiliate) viewing area. Amsoil is set up to accommodate said television broadcasts. The television bit is probably the main reason the section games are played in Duluth.
Is there any chance that WDIO will broadcast the Section 7 Finals this year Schotzy?