The Gentry Academy Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

stateofhawkey

The Gentry Academy Thread

Post by stateofhawkey » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 pm

Ok so, apologies if this is misguided, but I'm looking for some wisdom here. Plus, the way Gentry is getting, I figure they deserved their own thread like a certain 7A probably should be 7AA school has. Short story - I considered it highly suspicious that they went from 14-11 two years ago in their first season, to 21-3 last year, but with most of those wins being against mediocre at best teams, to now 9-0 and just demolishing teams that aren't even that bad. Upon looking at their roster a little more closely, I noticed they have players that are from Illinois, Wisconsin, Delaware, Las Vegas, North Dakota, Massachusetts, Vancouver, San Francisco. They had a player from Lithuania last year. I started to get real "Achiever Academy" vibes, if you guys remember them. Gentry is even based out of the same rink Achiever was. If you recall, the Achiever girls team had to pull out of a State tournament run because 6 or 7 of their players were ineligible transfers. Some of the players parents were living in other states. A few of the Gentry players have other states listed as the places they live on Twitter - which lead me to believe even more that it's similar to the Achiever situation. So what I'm wondering is, is this ok purely because Gentry identifies as a private school? Or is this another one of those "It's ok that they live in another state, they were totally recruited to go to Gentry because of academics and not athletics, which would totally be against MSHSL rules" situations?

elliott70

Re: The Gentry Academy Thread

Post by elliott70 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:34 pm

Right.
Okay, maybe.
It will take me a minute to digest that paragraph or sentence.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:40 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:34 pm
Right.
Okay, maybe.
It will take me a minute to digest that paragraph or sentence.
Sorry, I get full of myself at times.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:56 pm

Gentry was created for one reason and one reason only...a place for two boys to home school and play tier 1 hockey. Anyone who claims its for academics is either lying or extremely dense.

SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:18 pm

One thing that’s crystal clear: Gentry and Hermantown are light years ahead of the other Class A teams this year. I know some have Mahtomedi and even EGF as potential contenders to those two teams, but I see no evidence of that. Lots of weird things this year with COVID and all, but Class A is completely a two team affair this year.

SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:22 pm

Also, for those keeping score, Hermantown’s Bantam AA team is again among the best in the state this year, currently ranked 5th according to the Youth Hockey Hub Now Rankings: https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/page/sho ... ankings-mn

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:39 pm

State of Hawkey/Fatcat

Some of your comments are outdated . And others relate to their AAA teams, not Mshsl teams

I think Gentry has been a Mshsl high school now for 3 years or so ,
so they know the rules and penalties .( Haven’t they also now converted from private to public charter? Someone could double check me on that )

They’ve had a core group of kids , along with some newcomers , not uncommon. High School Elite league has been taking their kids , could make they case they should’ve taken 2-3 more .

They had a significant 25 game schedule improvement this year, but many of the better opponents unfortunately were dropped in the 7 game cutback

They are upping to AA class next year, a choice they did not have to make .

So this strikes me as a success story .

I think they are properly ranked as 2nd in A and probably lower top 10 on combined basis , maybe higher if SOS had improved

Just my thoughts

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:00 pm

In what is truly, truly a dream come true for me, I present to you Gentry's enrollment (drumroll, please).....54!!!!!

Man, their program must be super, duper, mega-strong for them to create such a great team out of only 54 students!! Hermantown has a whopping 630 kids! It's not even fair! :o

Should these two meet in the title game, as predicted, watching Gentry win would be sweet, sweet karma for Hermantown. Not that I'd be happy watching yet another big city all-star team win the A title, in fact it really makes me want to hurl, but I'd relish it for two reasons:

1. Gentry beat Hermantown at their own game. Instead of merely collecting talent from a metro area and the surrounding region, Gentry upped the ante by advertising their own "strong program" all over the US (and Canada, it appears.) Perhaps Gentry even sent out letters letting top national players know that "They're the type of player Gentry would welcome to the program." Not sure what Hawk fans could say if they lost to Gentry, as Gentry could just tell them "Quit whining and make your own crappy program better."

2. Hermantown brought this on themselves. The years of shameless trophy-chasing and myth-making of being some uber-strong program that turns a tiny enrollment into a AA-caliber power was bound to attract copy-cat programs, who instead of having an actual development program of hometown kids--like most real small-town teams have and Hermantown partially has--simply went whole hog on the transfer/open enrollment stuff as a cheat code to catapulting to State Tourney glory.

You can't make this stuff up.

Go Gentry!!!! [-o<

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm

Yeah , makes sense we’d see you on this thread with a thumbs up Rainer2 !

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:57 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm
I'm pondering if we should combine the two threads, given the anticipated number of posts which cross over from one side (be it Hermantown or Gentry) to the other. We could always re-split the topics if/when one or both move up to AA. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:04 pm

east hockey wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:57 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm
I'm pondering if we should combine the two threads, given the anticipated number of posts which cross over from one side (be it Hermantown or Gentry) to the other. We could always re-split the topics if/when one or both move up to AA. :mrgreen:

Lee
:D I will do my best to keep my comments primarily Gentry-focused, as I know the penalties for not doing so.

Upon further investigation into the Gentry roster, I'm seeing Shoreview, Grand Forks, Edina, North Oaks, Lake Elmo, Maplewood, Minneapolis, Coon Rapids, and Stillwater as the hometowns of the top players. And the player from Vancouver is from Vancouver WA, not Vancouver, BC, so there goes the international angle. :lol:

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:47 pm

Well after all, they are just getting started Rainier2, so they don’t have their own association yet!

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:50 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:39 pm
State of Hawkey/Fatcat

Some of your comments are outdated . And others relate to their AAA teams, not Mshsl teams

I think Gentry has been a Mshsl high school now for 3 years or so ,
so they know the rules and penalties .( Haven’t they also now converted from private to public charter? Someone could double check me on that )

They’ve had a core group of kids , along with some newcomers , not uncommon. High School Elite league has been taking their kids , could make they case they should’ve taken 2-3 more .

They had a significant 25 game schedule improvement this year, but many of the better opponents unfortunately were dropped in the 7 game cutback

They are upping to AA class next year, a choice they did not have to make .

So this strikes me as a success story .

I think they are properly ranked as 2nd in A and probably lower top 10 on combined basis , maybe higher if SOS had improved

Just my thoughts
My only comment is about people who would claim to attend for academics...the academics are substandard. I know numerous kids who've attended and they will all say the same. And my comment about the origins of the school are spot on. I'm sure ppl have noticed that as soon as the kids left for NTDP that the family has relinquished control of the school and that's why it's now a charter school.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:03 pm

east hockey wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:57 pm
We could always re-split the topics if/when one or both move up to AA.
Lee
Hasn't Gentry already announced they are in fact moving up? If that does indeed prove to be the case then each of these teams would surely deserve to have their own thread, in their quest for greatness. :roll:

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:05 pm

The one thing Gentry does have going for it is that there isn't much competition from privates on the east side...yes I realize it's a charter school but lets be real...it's essentially an alternative to Hill and CDH for kids who want to play hockey. The west side of the metro is saturated with privates so it will play into Gentry's hands as far as siphoning kids from the east side privates.

arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:23 pm

A little outdated...I did a some research a couple weeks ago. On February 8th - 106 of the team's 153 points were from Minnesota kids. 6 out of the top 7 scorers are from MN. Many of the kids that appear to be from out of state have family connections to Minnesota. Gentry is what you can kids are allowed to follow their passion. Personally, I'd much rather have my kid get some additional ice time during the day rather than sit in "study hall" 1 or 2 hours a day in order to meet MDE attendance/funding requirements. I don't buy the sub-standard education argument. You get want you put into it.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 pm

arcticpurple wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:23 pm
A little outdated...I did a some research a couple weeks ago. On February 8th - 106 of the team's 153 points were from Minnesota kids. 6 out of the top 7 scorers are from MN. Many of the kids that appear to be from out of state have family connections to Minnesota. Gentry is what you can kids are allowed to follow their passion. Personally, I'd much rather have my kid get some additional ice time during the day rather than sit in "study hall" 1 or 2 hours a day in order to meet MDE attendance/funding requirements. I don't buy the sub-standard education argument. You get want you put into it.
While I agree to an extent in regard to "you get what you put into it"....I know kids who attended when it was $16K per year and kids who attend now that it's free and each have said that the curriculum is not challenging at all. It's a hockey school, that's how it was started and that's how it is. It's fine if that's what you want for your kid but people are being intellectually dishonest if they say it's for education. If you're a college admissions office how are you going to view a 4.0 student at a Breck, Blake, BSM, Providence, H-M, SPA, Mounds View, Wayzata or Edina versus a 4.0 at....Gentry Academy.

Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:59 pm

thefatcat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 pm
arcticpurple wrote:
While I agree to an extent in regard to "you get what you put into it"....I know kids who attended when it was $16K per year and kids who attend now that it's free and each have said that the curriculum is not challenging at all. It's a hockey school, that's how it was started and that's how it is. It's fine if that's what you want for your kid but people are being intellectually dishonest if they say it's for education. If you're a college admissions office how are you going to view a 4.0 student at a Breck, Blake, BSM, Providence, H-M, SPA, Mounds View, Wayzata or Edina versus a 4.0 at....Gentry Academy.
How many people have told you they went there for the Education?

LSQRANK

Post by LSQRANK » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:22 am

Unlike AA, GA has done everything by the book, so not to worry your heads about that part of it. To the chagrin of potential nay-sayers, GA is the real deal and legitimate in every respect in the eyes of MSHSL. In 2019-2020 their 16U_AAA team was THE BEST in the USA, yes better than Shattuck-SM's 16U_AAA which says a lot. Typically the D1 group of MN HS is the equivalent of USA 17U_AAA, not USA 18U_AAA. So the kids on the GA 16U_AAA that were eligible to play MN HS this year did so, but some left to go elsewhere also. Last year GA's HS was is decent MN D2 squad, so adding a few of the High quality 16U_AAA players to this year's squad which then puts them in the combined MN top 5 real is not much of a stretch. I'm an avid CDH, STA & HLPK fan because of my location, but my neighborhood kid down the street plays for GA so I have been in-tune their progress over the past couple of years. Its good to see a relatively new program break into the blue-bloods, and will only strengthen MN HS hockey competition compared to Michigan and MASS.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:26 am

Give them credit for their hockey success. This is a hockey forum. I think it's great what they have done. I'm a fan of their squad. It's about the kids and from what I hear, they have good kids that are playing great hockey. I'm looking forward to their section games and good hockey. GB

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:25 am

Rails Hockey wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:59 pm
thefatcat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 pm
arcticpurple wrote:
How many people have told you they went there for the Education?
Who plays hockey at Hill-Murray "for the education"?

Who plays basketball at Hopkins "for the education"?

Who transfers to IMG Academy in Florida to play football "for the education"?

Obviously, many college admissions offices like the U of Minnesota and Wisconsin are fine with these situations, which don't even include kids playing junior hockey and taking HS distance courses.

Let's not be naive. It's 2021.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:40 am

jg2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:25 am

Hey, I will be naive if I want.

But let's be realistic.

We complain about Hermantown, we complain about Eden Prairie.

We complain about almost every winner/success (unless it is our winner).

Gentry has a winner - let's bash them.

Gentry and Denfeld (or EGF or Warroad or Fergus Falls) I am cheering for any one but Gentry.

Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:57 am

elliott70 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:40 am
jg2112 wrote:

But let's be realistic.

Gentry and Denfeld (or EGF or Warroad or Fergus Falls) I am cheering for any one but Gentry.
As time goes on, you are sounding more and more like kniven.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:09 am

Corn Cobb wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:57 am
elliott70 wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

But let's be realistic.

Ha, Elliott, another bite. Good one :D
What is a Green Wave anyway?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:16 am

Corn Cobb wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:57 am
elliott70 wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

But let's be realistic.

Hey, my twin sister...
That would be a compliment I guess.
By the way where is she?