The Gentry Academy Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Slap Shot

Re: The Gentry Academy Thread

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:07 am

Still ignoring that no one is blaming nor beating up on the kids, but you can have your narrative and the last word.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:25 am

I'm hoping Gentry will expand and open satellite schools in Duluth, Moorhead, St. cloud, EGF, Rochester, and eventually Mankato.

Watching Gentry-Lake Superior play Gentry-Great Plains in the tourney would be a dream come true. Heck, with the right geographic strategy, an all-Gentry tourney could be a reality!

stateofhawkey

Post by stateofhawkey » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:03 pm

thestickler07 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:51 pm
stateofhawkey wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:40 pm
https://www.startribune.com/the-scaries ... 600039959/

David La Vaque posted an episode of the "Talkin Preps" podcast on Twitter just this afternoon, where veteran high school hockey coach Ted Cheesebrough gives his thoughts on Gentry BEAUTIFULLY! Fits right in with what we're talking about. Start listening at the 27:00 mark.
Gentry got the part where Cheese talks about them removed - editor's note added to the story and podcast.
If you go on Spotify and look up "Talking Preps" the entire interview is still there, including the comments about Gentry. I'll listen to it now and type up everything that's said, in case it gets deleted there too.

hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:30 am

did not expect to see EGF take it to Gentry like this
2015-2016 Regular Season Pick 'em Champion

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:39 am

hockey9011 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:30 am
Gentry started to turn it at the end of the period. Could see this one ending 6-4 or 6-5 Gentry.

hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:48 am

TheNightman wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:39 am
hockey9011 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:30 am
Gentry started to turn it at the end of the period. Could see this one ending 6-4 or 6-5 Gentry.
Agreed. Felt like they read my message and decided to start skating
2015-2016 Regular Season Pick 'em Champion

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:09 pm

It occurred to me today that Gentry should thank their lucky stars they are in A this year. They wouldn't be downtown had they played AA...

stateofhawkey

Post by stateofhawkey » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:41 pm

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1uT8BK ... mkCd0YPawQ

Here's the Podcast episode where Cheese talks about Gentry. Starting at the 27:00 mark.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:55 pm

stateofhawkey wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:41 pm
https://open.spotify.com/episode/1uT8BK ... mkCd0YPawQ

Here's the Podcast episode where Cheese talks about Gentry. Starting at the 27:00 mark.
Perfectly said by by coach Cheese.

GPGT

Post by GPGT » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:55 pm

Anyone have the gentry roster and where they're from?

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:39 pm

GPGT wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:55 pm
https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/273 ... my#players

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:23 pm

GPGT wrote:
NightMan beat me to the EP link.
You have to do some digging to find out where they are actually from, but here is where some of the prominent players played youth hockey.

Damon Furuseth - Roseau (family moved)
Nick Sajevic - Mounds View
Zach Reim - Mounds View
Alex Timmons - Stillwater
Bailey McGraw - Stillwater
Kaden Milles - Fairbanks, AK

So most of them are fairly local. I am sure there are some outliers, but I don’t have the inclination to scour the whole roster.

arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:37 am

[/quote]
You have to do some digging to find out where they are actually from, but here is where some of the prominent players played youth hockey.

Zach Reim - Mounds View

So most of them are fairly local. I am sure there are some outliers, but I don’t have the inclination to scour the whole roster.
[/quote]

Back in February I did some research and 5 of the top 6 skaters we born in MN. The majority of the rest had very deep connections to MN (mom or dad from MN). Don't forget, EP provides information on where they are born and where the played peewees and bantams. That doesn't mean they are not minnesotan residents. A lot of misinformation is being tossed around by people who feel you have to be born and raised in MN 365days/year to be a true Minnesotan. Also, important to note that Youth information from MN youth players rarely make it into EP until they are on a varsity team or played HP or Fall Tier 1.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:16 am

Stang5280 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:23 pm
GPGT wrote:

Zach Reim - Mounds View

Doesn't seem as egregious as I was under the impression of. I thought there was a bunch of out of staters.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Teak

Post by Teak » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:15 pm

Looking at the Gentry roster, this is what I find interesting:
Barrett Hall - Edina
Chet Skinner - Edina
Max van Klinggraef - Edina

Three players from the Metro's premier public school program. Were these players ones who went to Gentry to play 16U AAA and then "dropped down" to play HS for this season, or were they unable to make the Edina squad, and felt an A program would give them a greater chance.

Has to be a story here. I note that Edina didn't make the AA tourney this year and were not ranked in the Top 10.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:04 pm

Teak wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:15 pm
Looking at the Gentry roster, this is what I find interesting:
Barrett Hall - Edina
Chet Skinner - Edina
Max van Klinggraef - Edina

Three players from the Metro's premier public school program. Were these players ones who went to Gentry to play 16U AAA and then "dropped down" to play HS for this season, or were they unable to make the Edina squad, and felt an A program would give them a greater chance.

Has to be a story here. I note that Edina didn't make the AA tourney this year and were not ranked in the Top 10.
Again, take the Elite Prospects info with a grain of salt. It seems like Edina was literally the birthplace of those three players, but not where they played youth hockey. Here are the youth teams…

Barrett Hall - Eastview
Chet Skinner - St. Paul
Max van Klinggraef - I think Minneapolis?

While I certainly have some reservations and objections to Gentry’s model, many of their players actually came from weaker youth systems and were looking for greener pastures at the AAA or HS level. Also, to circle back to one of your questions, Hall was one of their top players, and played three years at the high school level. The two notable players who came from the AAA program were Sajevic and Reim. Most of the the others left the program entirely.

Puck8

Post by Puck8 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:32 pm

Not sure I’ve ever seen a compilation of misinformation teamed with flat out lies in my life. Think about it - people are researching where kids were born and building opinions and spreading rumors based on a birth certificate, Instagram account or Elite Prospects page. And listing kids names as though it’s a blacklist of MN hockey authorities. My God, what’s next? “you have to do some digging”. SMH. The fact that some genius uncovered that kids were listed as Edina and subsequently left that program for Gentry pretty much sums it up. Edina is where Fairview Southdale hospital resides. EP asks where you were born. They were born at Fairview in Edina. None of them had anything to do with Edina hockey or schools in any way. Do people look into youth association transfers like this?

I get you may not be happy with the model, but when you start questioning the whys and start digging into personal information, you have taken it to the next level of disturbing.

Cheesebrough is entitled to his opinion. But once again, facts get in the way of a good narrative. He states that he won’t play Gentry until they have a track and field team, and his second line center is a state tuba player. Sounds catchy, but maybe if he did his homework, he’s realize that Gentry has offered lacrosse, baseball, golf, track, mountain biking, robotics, dance and other activities, some though co-ops. The offerings increase every year. Was the school supposed to offer every program that an established school has from day 1? You’d have to be delusional to think that. Gentry is evolving quickly but again, that’s not as catchy and snarky as the narratives out there.

Have you ever given it a thought that maybe not everyone’s experience with MN youth hockey and MN public schools is the Norman Rockwell painting you think it is? For some, it’s more like Friday the 13th for their kids. Some stay in it and bitch about it and others seek change for the betterment of their kids. Pound on Gentry all you want - they are operating within the rules and have done nothing but take the high road when attacked. It is an environment that offers many positives beyond hockey, if it didn’t, they would already have closed it down.

I’ve heard the rumor that 13 kids are from out of state. 100% false. The top 9 of 10 scorers are MN kids - primarily twin city kids - the other moved here 3 years ago. Or, is that not OK in your minds? Seems like it was fine when a kid from out east moved into one of the most powerful schools for 1 year. So much so, he was nominated for Mr Hockey. Of the next 6 scorers, 3 are MN kids, 1 Hudson and 2 that have been with the program 2-3 years. The tier 1 kids that joined had the option of continuing in the school they’ve been at for 2-5 years, or pulling out and going back to their home school district. These kids didn’t have junior or other options like the top kids. The families loved the school so why would they go back into environments they wanted to flee in the first place? The narrative that this is Team USA sounds clever, but facts suck, don’t they?

3 hours a day skating. Really? Has anyone actually researched that? 100% false. Most skate 2-4 times a week during the school day for 1.25 hours. That time is only used for skating if schoolwork is up to date. I credit the school and MSHSL for allowing change and providing a unique opportunity to the students. Those on the high school team will practice for 1 hour each day after school during the season. I’m guessing most schools practice longer than that.

$14k tuition. 100% false. Was true as a private (which was still about half the cost of other private schools), but the school is Charter now and there is no tuition. The rules are more strict and enrollment is more open than privates.

The chatter on Twitter is downright disgusting and I hold this forum accountable for some of it as I see much of the same misinformation here being the building blocks of vitriol in other outlets. Comments such as “parents and kids are losers” “selfish entitled a-holes” “classless” “they should be embarrassed “ “spoiled brats” “they can f-off”. And it goes on and on. Classic bullying - and it’s from adults who lecture us on being tolerant. All over a difference of opinion on what choices people make for their kids - and a truckload of misinformation.

I realize this will be inundated with attacks and it’s unlikely to change a single mind here, but maybe, just maybe someone will realize that they don’t know all the facts and will actually refrain from forwarding more false info. The school is actively pursuing to put the team at the next highest level as quickly as reasonably possible. Can’t go from 0-100 overnight. It takes a progression. But I guess that’s not flashy enough and doesn’t fit the narrative.

With that, I celebrate the championship with the school and the boys.

Good luck to you all.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:03 pm

Puck8 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:32 pm
Not sure I’ve ever seen a compilation of misinformation teamed with flat out lies in my life. Think about it - people are researching where kids were born and building opinions and spreading rumors based on a birth certificate, Instagram account or Elite Prospects page. And listing kids names as though it’s a blacklist of MN hockey authorities. My God, what’s next? “you have to do some digging”. SMH. The fact that some genius uncovered that kids were listed as Edina and subsequently left that program for Gentry pretty much sums it up. Edina is where Fairview Southdale hospital resides. EP asks where you were born. They were born at Fairview in Edina. None of them had anything to do with Edina hockey or schools in any way. Do people look into youth association transfers like this?
All is I was attempting to do in listing the info I did was to dispel the incorrect rumors and innuendo. Most of it came from YHH tournament recaps. There was also a Fairbanks newspaper article about Milles and how excited he was to play in the state tournament. If that is crossing a line, I apologize.

While it wasn’t fun watching Gentry shred Class A this year, they play some outstanding, entertaining hockey and generally seem like a well coached bunch who treat opponents with respect. I harbor no ill will toward them, which I think has been reflected in my posts over the past few years.

Puck8

Post by Puck8 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:17 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:03 pm
Puck8 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:32 pm
All is I was attempting to do in listing the info I did was to dispel the incorrect rumors and innuendo. Most of it came from YHH tournament recaps. There was also a Fairbanks newspaper article about Milles and how excited he was to play in the state tournament. If that is crossing a line, I apologize.

While it wasn’t fun watching Gentry shred Class A this year, they play some outstanding, entertaining hockey and generally seem like a well coached bunch who treat opponents with respect. I harbor no ill will toward them, which I think has been reflected in my posts over the past few years.
Thanks, Stang. What you’ve written is not the issue. The investigative attitude from others just brings this to a different, and unacceptable level. Coupled with the vitriol on Twitter shows just how dangerous misinformation can be. Bottom line, the level of hockey is crazy and certainly a AA placing would have been preferred. The school tried to upgrade this year but was denied. What else can they do? Anyway, thanks for your contributions here and in the ratings. Always appreciate that.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:25 pm

Well stated Puck 8, and Golden Bear and others previously

I enjoyed watching the Gentry kids and meeting their families this year . Just like every team we follow . Hard working kids, tiptop condition ,friendly parents concerned about kids education and athletics both . Great coaching staff .

They were all set to play Htown (likely)twice , but hockey gods intervened so we will never know

I will say I think Bantam age roster info is fair for research , and thanks to Stang on that . I mean if people want to complain about where gentry kids play youth hockey, they better think about looking at every private school in the state and many public too.

arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:44 pm

Well said Puck8!

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:35 pm

arcticpurple wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:37 am
The majority of the rest had very deep connections to MN (mom or dad from MN). Don't forget, EP provides information on where they are born and where the played peewees and bantams. That doesn't mean they are not minnesotan residents. A lot of misinformation is being tossed around by people who feel you have to be born and raised in MN 365days/year to be a true Minnesotan.
Thank you for pointing this out. Two years ago Cloquet-Esko-Carlton had their top players from New Jersey and St. Louis. I can take the truth and distort it in a funhouse mirror to make things sound completely different from the full picture.

Jamie Langenbrunner moved back to his hometown when he retired from playing and his kids naturally came with him. A much different way to report the same truth.
Be kind. Rewind.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:50 pm

Puck 8, great stuff. The expression is that the truth can never catch up to the lie, so I find solace in knowing if you do the right thing long enough there won't be problems in the long run. Doesn't really lessen the speedbumps on the road.

I like everyone I've met from Gentry a lot. Very impressed by a number of things I won't go into. You are spot on and do a great job of describing the growth and evolution of the school and its offerings.

One of the players that has been questioned has a great backstory and his success is probably only possible because of Gentry. Before its inception I doubt so much progress could have been made. It's that family's story to tell, not mine...but I can celebrate it.

Perhaps like UFC it will look more and more mainstream over time. Starting with one weight class and no rules ensured a lot of attention, just like the Galaxy being the #1 ranked Midget team for two years did. In time it will move in the direction you mention with more than just a strong hockey focus. Thanks for sharing your articulate thoughts.
Be kind. Rewind.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:08 am

WM/OTClown/Puck 8--well said. My last comment on this until next year--Congrats Gentry. I really enjoyed their style of play and it was fun seeing it on TV. Congrats on having a sack to move up to AA, they did not have to. I look forward to watching them play more games at the AA level. I also have no problem with kids from other states coming to our great state to play high school hockey. I'd love to have many more. Have a safe spring high school hockey fans! GB

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:15 pm

Puck...I appreciate your response as well. After reading some of the details you provide, I certainly have a better understanding of some of the nuances within the school/program that some of us may have had questions about. And, it's good to know that the majority of the kids attending and playing hockey are from Minnesota. Personally, the only social media I ever venture into is Facebook and that is extremely rare. I'm not on Twitter at all but, I'm certainly aware of the cesspool it can be. Having said that, and as frustrating as it can be to read some of the things put out there, my advice would be to ignore as much of that as possible.

I also want to congratulate the players and coaches on a well deserved state title. They do play an up-tempo, puck possession game that is enjoyable to watch. They're also to be complimented for choosing to move up to "AA" next year. As for your (and Westy's) concerns about direct criticism of the kids, I agree it's inappropriate to make comments to anything specific about a player deciding to play at Gentry. Especially since we all understand that the parents usually have a large say in where any player ends up to attend school/play a sport. Having said that, I disagree that it's inappropriate for individuals to research where specific kids played their youth hockey prior to attending Gentry -- or, any other charter or private school. Especially since that information speaks directly to the concerns about the possible challenges allowing these types of schools/academies creates for our traditional community-based development model.

I have zero issue with a charter or private school participating in the MSHSL in any sport, as long as they follow the current rules in regards to transfers/attendance. Unfortunately, there's far too much evidence the last 20 years of players at numerous public and private school programs that transfer in after their 9th grade year, who are deemed immediately eligible even though it's well known the player's family didn't physically move into the district. It seems especially true of many players who have moved in from out of state. Again, there was very strong evidence that a simple glance at a couple players' and/or their family's social media accounts indicated that families of out of state transfers hadn't actually permanently moved into the district/community of the school the players were attending. Thus, when a school such as Gentry has the level of immediate success that it does, in conjunction with the understanding that there are individual players that moved in from out of state, it's understandable that those of us that truly believe in the community-based model are going to ask questions about the validity of those transfers/move ins. Unfortunately, one of the only ways to confirm the legitimacy of the transfers, is to get in depth about their individual playing backgrounds. Thus, I have no problem with individuals in these forums who want to research that information.

Also, as much as you assure us these kids aren't on the ice any more per day or week than the average high school program, I have a good acquaintance that is the parent of a current parent player who says otherwise. 8) This parent is not saying it's 4 plus hours a day but, it's often as much as between 2-3 hours per day. Still significantly longer than the average public/private school program. So, I think it's time for the MSHSL to enact rules that limit total daily and weekly hours of contact with athletes. The challenge of course is policing the individuals and/or schools that are breaking the rules. As I said previously, the MSHSL needs a administrative rules enforcement division. To close, it's great they're moving to "AA" and that should quiet a number of the complainers.