The Gentry Academy Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

nu2hockey

Re: The Gentry Academy Thread

Post by nu2hockey » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:43 pm

LSQRANK wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:45 pm
thefatcat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 pm
arcticpurple wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:23 pm
A little outdated...I did a some research a couple weeks ago. On February 8th - 106 of the team's 153 points were from Minnesota kids. 6 out of the top 7 scorers are from MN. Many of the kids that appear to be from out of state have family connections to Minnesota. Gentry is what you can kids are allowed to follow their passion. Personally, I'd much rather have my kid get some additional ice time during the day rather than sit in "study hall" 1 or 2 hours a day in order to meet MDE attendance/funding requirements. I don't buy the sub-standard education argument. You get want you put into it.
While I agree to an extent in regard to "you get what you put into it"....I know kids who attended when it was $16K per year and kids who attend now that it's free and each have said that the curriculum is not challenging at all. It's a hockey school, that's how it was started and that's how it is. It's fine if that's what you want for your kid but people are being intellectually dishonest if they say it's for education. If you're a college admissions office how are you going to view a 4.0 student at a Breck, Blake, BSM, Providence, H-M, SPA, Mounds View, Wayzata or Edina versus a 4.0 at....Gentry Academy.
If the kids' ACT/SAT are equivalent, they say "COME ON IN" same with ncaa....

Kids at Gentry also have the PSEO option during their Jr & Sr years to take afternoon classes at Saint Paul College or Century College to take advantage of free tuition, free book rental, and free parking.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:17 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:48 am
BodyShots wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:21 am
Just a thought. What if we created a Class AAA that was strictly for opt ups (nobody was placed into it to start). The premise being, this is for those teams that want to be considered the BEST High School team in Minnesota! And the rules are different, where recruiting and transfers are allowed!
No. Just stop.

Private schools have to recruit all their students. Families move all the time and kids need to be able to transfer.

I don't want to live in a world where the family that moves into Sleepy Eye has a kid that isn't allowed to play high school hockey because you made the rules.
So my thoughts are changing the rules? Dude, take a chill pill.

I'm just throwing out ideas if people want a 3rd class (which I'm against), to make them more balanced.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:32 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:51 am
BodyShots wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:38 am
When competition levels off (or even becomes better) the puck possession game changes dramatically.
I just watched puck possession win in HS, at the NCAA level, and I know it works at the Olympic level. Players spending two years in the NTDP have the importance of puck possession ingrained into their style of play. On what do you base this assertion?
Puck possession is determined by quality of the team, and the quality of the opponent.

In HS: When WBL plays Park, WBL has more puck possession. When they play HM, they have less puck possession.
In NCCA: When Gophers play Mich St, they have more puck possession. When they play No Dak, they have less puck possession.
In Pros: Wild have a lot of puck poss against the Ducks, but very little against Col.

My point is: Gentry was able to have a lot of puck possession in A because the competition wasn't as good. Next year in AA, I'm sure their puck poss will be significantly less. (It's not rocket science!).

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:37 pm

Puck8 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:02 pm
BodyShots wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:38 am
Puck8 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:09 am
We didn’t see any other teams play a puck possession or passing game like we can do.
Will be interesting to see how well that works in AA.

Everybody knows who the best mite players are, because they are the ones with the puck on their stick all of the time. When competition levels off (or even becomes better) the puck possession game changes dramatically. Time will tell.
Comparing Gentry’s style to mite hockey - did you even watch the games? Puck possession through passing, relentless forecheck, regrouping and speed are successful at every level. Next year will be more challenging, but the style of play isn’t going away. It undoubtedly is greater than the sum of the parts - just look at the point totals and compare it to virtually every other team. If this was mite-like, there would have been 1-2 with 60 points and the team would have been watching the tourney from home.
You missed my point. Read my previous reply to OTC.

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:30 pm

Very interesting thread.

One question I have: if it is not a private school and is indeed a charter school, why are there not more people going there? That seems like it would be a giant demand to attend.....

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:08 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:30 pm
Very interesting thread.

One question I have: if it is not a private school and is indeed a charter school, why are there not more people going there? That seems like it would be a giant demand to attend.....
There is a “random lottery process” for admission, whatever that means. And I believe there are still some significant fees for ice time, for those who participate in hockey.
https://gentryacademy.com/admission/

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:13 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:08 pm
Doc Holliday wrote:
Very interesting thread.

There is a “random lottery process” for admission, whatever that means. And I believe there are still some significant fees for ice time, for those who participate in hockey.
All charter schools have a random lottery process to fill open enrollment places. You can go watch it happen!

My children gained admission to a classical learning academy in St. Paul years ago through that process. Most put that process right on their websites, as you saw.

You are also correct with regard to fees. Students pay a flat rate based upon how many days a week they wish to skate during "WIN" time.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:13 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:08 pm
Doc Holliday wrote:
Very interesting thread.

All charter schools have a random lottery process to fill open enrollment places. You can go watch it happen!

My children gained admission to a classical learning academy in St. Paul years ago through that process. Most put that process right on their websites, as you saw.

You are also correct with regard to fees. Students pay a flat rate based upon how many days a week they wish to skate during "WIN" time.
Thanks for the clarification. I am not very familiar with charter schools, so I assumed that was different, but apparently not.

Puck8

Post by Puck8 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:36 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Very interesting thread.

The school has grown each year but going charter should push it to the max of the building - roughly 350 +/- across all grades - pretty quickly.

stateofhawkey

Post by stateofhawkey » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:22 am

For what it's worth, it looks like hockey's not the only thing Gentry's going to dominate. But, just as the hockey team can use their "W.I.N" time to play hockey, the lacrosse players can use that time to play lacrosse as well. Since there's a turf bubble right next to the school building, attached to the hockey facility.

https://www.mnlaxhub.com/news_article/show/1159379

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:14 am

stateofhawkey wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:22 am
For what it's worth, it looks like hockey's not the only thing Gentry's going to dominate. But, just as the hockey team can use their "W.I.N" time to play hockey, the lacrosse players can use that time to play lacrosse as well. Since there's a turf bubble right next to the school building, attached to the hockey facility.

Adding girls' softball here as well. Another WIN time activity. Should we just call it gym class?

Have a look at the roster:

https://www.mnsoftballhub.com/page/show ... son=731959

stateofhawkey

Post by stateofhawkey » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:32 am

jg2112 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:14 am
stateofhawkey wrote:

Adding girls' softball here as well. Another WIN time activity. Should we just call it gym class?

I never went into my gym class in high school and said, "Hey Mr. PE teacher, I'm going to spend my time playing hockey today, because that's what's specifically good for me." Pretty sure in typical PE classes the teacher forms and follows a curriculum with all different kinds of activities, and don't let the student decide what it is they're going to do.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:22 am

jg2112 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:14 am
stateofhawkey wrote:

16 runs on only 6 hits. Sounds like a Twins game! :lol:

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:25 am

In the early 1990s at my high school (one of the 5 largest public high schools in a Midwestern state), we were allowed to choose what we wanted to do for gym in 5 week intervals, giving us 8 "classes" of sports for the school year across four 10-week quarters. One could pick from broomball, floor hockey, basketball, weight lifting, baseball, kickball, track activities, flag football. Kids could avoid activities they had no interest in and could save time, for example, by lifting weights in gym class rather than before or after school.

So even 30 years ago schools were at the cutting edge at what is now known as "WIN" time.

I understand many people here are loathe to deal with change, but this kind of educational "disruption" here to stay, and everyone benefits from this arrangement. The student trains in the sport they truly enjoy during the school day. Parents don't have to drive their skaters before or after work to an across-town skating session or lacrosse practice. The County makes money by putting its ice or field to use at a time it's normally unused.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:37 am

Everyone benefits? Everyone, that is, except the dozens of high schools who do not have an ice rink on their premises.

Puck8

Post by Puck8 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:21 pm

bodyup88 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:37 am
Everyone benefits? Everyone, that is, except the dozens of high schools who do not have an ice rink on their premises.
The HS that I attended had a room with multiple, fully functioning kitchens in it that was used to teach Home Econ (an elective). I’m certain that there are schools in MN that do not have the resources to offer that same setting. So, should my school have had to eliminate those courses in the name of fairness?

Puck8

Post by Puck8 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:44 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:25 am
In the early 1990s at my high school (one of the 5 largest public high schools in a Midwestern state), we were allowed to choose what we wanted to do for gym in 5 week intervals, giving us 8 "classes" of sports for the school year across four 10-week quarters. One could pick from broomball, floor hockey, basketball, weight lifting, baseball, kickball, track activities, flag football. Kids could avoid activities they had no interest in and could save time, for example, by lifting weights in gym class rather than before or after school.

So even 30 years ago schools were at the cutting edge at what is now known as "WIN" time.

I understand many people here are loathe to deal with change, but this kind of educational "disruption" here to stay, and everyone benefits from this arrangement. The student trains in the sport they truly enjoy during the school day. Parents don't have to drive their skaters before or after work to an across-town skating session or lacrosse practice. The County makes money by putting its ice or field to use at a time it's normally unused.
Well stated, jg. I was wondering if my HS was unique as we had the exact same opportunities relative to electives. I thought that was standard but much of the feedback here would lead me to believe it wasn’t the norm back in the day. I like that you call out the time efficiency. We haven’t had the need for an evening training program in years. The elective structure 30+ years ago was the precursor to WIN time. Gentry simply took things to the next level by partnering with Vadnais Sports Center (now TCO Sports Garden).

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 pm

My high school’s “gym class” is a required course in physiology, and I think the hockey programs have historically done pretty well. I guess you can now take an elective in yoga or outdoor activities if you really want to get physical :lol:

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:03 am

Puck8 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:21 pm
bodyup88 wrote:
The HS that I attended had a room with multiple, fully functioning kitchens in it that was used to teach Home Econ (an elective). I’m certain that there are schools in MN that do not have the resources to offer that same setting. So, should my school have had to eliminate those courses in the name of fairness?
Did you compete in baking competitions for your school vs. other schools without functioning kitchens?

OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:11 pm

I found this article about Charter Schools interesting and somewhat timely for this conversation. Not taking a side one way or the other, but an interesting look at Charter Schools and sports.

https://www.aspeninstitute.org/wp-conte ... _FINAL.pdf

Puck8

Post by Puck8 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:25 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:03 am
Puck8 wrote:
bodyup88 wrote:
Did you compete in baking competitions for your school vs. other schools without functioning kitchens?
I’ll try to make it more clear for you.

If you want to make the argument that having hockey as an option is unfair because other schools can’t offer it (which has been done throughout this thread), then I just want to see if your are consistent. It doesn’t matter that it’s hockey, home ec or music. I simply used the example of a school that has a better supported home ec resource than the next school. Kids can choose multiple classes in that field over and over. Logic would follow that those kids would have a leg up on others who are seeking a career path in home ec but don’t have those electives available to them. It’s not a hard or controversial conclusion to make. And yes, there are cooking and arts competitions/careers so I’m not sure your snarky comment is as penetrating as you hoped. Same could be said for schools that focus on fine arts or dance or any number of activities. Should they be shut down because some other schools can’t compete with the resources? Or are their offerings more acceptable to you? Using the logic I’ve seen here, schools should only be able to offer what the lowest common denominator can offer in regard to any specific activity. Should a school be able to offer weight lifting as an option if the school across town doesn’t have a weight room? There is no doubt that lifting provides an advantage to a hockey player.

It’s easy to mock Gentry because the offering is hockey. Evidently there are those who think that’s not a justifiable offering yet at the same time, most of them are spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours each year to ensure their kid stays on the cutting edge and can pursue their passion to possibly play or be part of their college life and beyond. Meanwhile, Gentry figured out a way to incorporate ice into the school day using essentially the elective process that jg described above.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:47 am

Puck8 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:25 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:03 am
Puck8 wrote:

I’ll try to make it more clear for you.

If you want to make the argument that having hockey as an option is unfair because other schools can’t offer it (which has been done throughout this thread), then I just want to see if your are consistent. It doesn’t matter that it’s hockey, home ec or music. I simply used the example of a school that has a better supported home ec resource than the next school. Kids can choose multiple classes in that field over and over. Logic would follow that those kids would have a leg up on others who are seeking a career path in home ec but don’t have those electives available to them. It’s not a hard or controversial conclusion to make. And yes, there are cooking and arts competitions/careers so I’m not sure your snarky comment is as penetrating as you hoped. Same could be said for schools that focus on fine arts or dance or any number of activities. Should they be shut down because some other schools can’t compete with the resources? Or are their offerings more acceptable to you? Using the logic I’ve seen here, schools should only be able to offer what the lowest common denominator can offer in regard to any specific activity. Should a school be able to offer weight lifting as an option if the school across town doesn’t have a weight room? There is no doubt that lifting provides an advantage to a hockey player.

It’s easy to mock Gentry because the offering is hockey. Evidently there are those who think that’s not a justifiable offering yet at the same time, most of them are spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours each year to ensure their kid stays on the cutting edge and can pursue their passion to possibly play or be part of their college life and beyond. Meanwhile, Gentry figured out a way to incorporate ice into the school day using essentially the elective process that jg described above.
tl:dr

No your home ec team didn't compete in cooking competitions against schools without a kitchen.

It's not even about an 'unfair' advantage per se as it being about Gentry being more of a hockey factory than a school. I went to a very competitive west metro school. We had every facility you could think of for the sports I played, but we spent 0 classroom time practicing any of them. The same could be said for every sport our school competed in. I don't care that they have an on-campus rink - good for them. But is it a school or a sports academy? You can argue differently and that's fine. I don't begrudge the kids for one second and wish them well. Adults doing this are embarrassing however and I have zero respect for that.