YHH Podcast 2/28/21: Andy Lundbohm, Cade Ahrenholz

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

YHH Podcast 2/28/21: Andy Lundbohm, Cade Ahrenholz

Post by karl(east) »

This week on the show:
-News and notes on injuries, schedules, the latest from the Covid front, and learn where the birthplace of Minnesota hockey is
-Top 10 A and AA
-Tony and Danny interview Roseau's Andy Lundbohm
-Games of the past: what we make of movers like Benilde, Rosemount, Edina, and the Class A sections relative to each other
-Lakeville South's Cade Ahrenholz gives us a great interview and joins for pick'ems

https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_art ... ow/1149042

Enjoy! Mr. Hockey show next week, section preview the following week, then we're into the playoffs, somehow.
Joe2015

Re: YHH Podcast 2/28/21: Andy Lundbohm, Cade Ahrenholz

Post by Joe2015 »

Since you guys touched on Sartell a little, I was wondering what people who follow the youth levels think about the future for the St Cloud teams?

Sounds like Sartell usually has good youth teams but cant quite get over the hump at the varsity hs level
Is Cathedral set to bounce back after this very down year? Or is their run over for a bit?
I'm assuming the St Cloud Apollo/Tech co-op is here to stay? Can they ever make a run at the 8AA title?
Sauk Rapids?...............Hey, they got a team too
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Breck at #10 =D>
I thought I was being a bit of a homer having them at 11, but there aren’t really any great options at the tail end of the top 10 for Class A.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Stang5280 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:17 pm Breck at #10 =D>
I thought I was being a bit of a homer having them at 11, but there aren’t really any great options at the tail end of the top 10 for Class A.
Breck should be oved to 3A where they could be a legit #3 seed.

(Whoa, that was not nice on many counts.)

:D
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:48 pm
Breck should be oved to 3A where they could be a legit #3 seed.

(Whoa, that was not nice on many counts.)

:D
Sadly, that’s not far from the truth. 2A is a den of mediocrity. The bottom isn’t as stinky as 3A, but there aren’t any really good teams, either.

It would be funny thinking of the fancy pants Breck parents traveling to Windom for a game, though :lol:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Fancy pants are they?

I have been to Breck high school hockey games. Not many fancy pants in the rink. Lots of furs, diamonds and Bentleys.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Yep, we decided to ride those Mustangs again. They emerged through our very scientific process for determining the Class A rankings (aka Tony calling Karl on his way to the studio in the morning and Karl frantically searching teams on the Hub as we try to figure out who fill in those last few spots). They may be here today and gone tomorrow, but after avenging their one bad loss and some healthy cause for skepticism around the 1A teams that had been in that neighborhood the past few weeks, they seemed like the safe choice.

On the St. Cloud area question, I will defer to Tony since he's much closer to that than I am, but if I remember our last discussion about that topic correctly, there's not a whole lot in the pipeline for Cathedral in the near future. Looks like St. Cloud does have a decent bantam team, so we'll see where they all end up, and Sartell is once again toward the top of the rankings (according to YHH, 7th among Bantam A teams and 4th among actual Class A programs), so there's still some hope there.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

karl(east) wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:06 pm On the St. Cloud area question, I will defer to Tony since he's much closer to that than I am, but if I remember our last discussion about that topic correctly, there's not a whole lot in the pipeline for Cathedral in the near future. Looks like St. Cloud does have a decent bantam team, so we'll see where they all end up, and Sartell is once again toward the top of the rankings (according to YHH, 7th among Bantam A teams and 4th among actual Class A programs), so there's still some hope there.
One thing I would add is that the recent run of Cathedral featured some prominent players from outside of St. Cloud, extending to the far northern Twin Cities suburbs. Here are ones I know of:
Reid Bogenholm - STMA
C.J. Zins - Princeton
Nate Warner - Sartell
Blake Perbix - Elk River

So it can be hard to judge Cathedral’s potential until you know who enrolls there as freshmen.
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

karl(east) wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:06 pm
Yep, we decided to ride those Mustangs again. They emerged through our very scientific process for determining the Class A rankings (aka Tony calling Karl on his way to the studio in the morning and Karl frantically searching teams on the Hub as we try to figure out who fill in those last few spots). They may be here today and gone tomorrow, but after avenging their one bad loss and some healthy cause for skepticism around the 1A teams that had been in that neighborhood the past few weeks, they seemed like the safe choice.

On the St. Cloud area question, I will defer to Tony since he's much closer to that than I am, but if I remember our last discussion about that topic correctly, there's not a whole lot in the pipeline for Cathedral in the near future. Looks like St. Cloud does have a decent bantam team, so we'll see where they all end up, and Sartell is once again toward the top of the rankings (according to YHH, 7th among Bantam A teams and 4th among actual Class A programs), so there's still some hope there.
Im assuming the co-op is here to stay for the near future?