Carver County Alert

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Re: Carver County Alert

Post by WestMetro » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:14 pm

Wise , always respect your thoughts

I’ll just point out a few things ....And then I’m gonna quit posting to this thread permanently before Lee cancels me 🤣. . By the way I live in Hennepin County, not Carver County.

”State leaders feared resistance in Carver County — no parent or player wants to report a mild COVID-19 case that puts an entire team in lockdown — but found a community of school and sports leaders willing to pitch in.”

First thoughts: Apparently MDH had no reason for this prebias judgment about Carver . So why did they point this out to the strib at all? Why did they continue to push this Carver story with the Strib for 3 full weeks . Why did they direct staff to prioritize Carver County mapping to such depth,, when at least 10 other counties have equally important health mapping from new variants. Or were those counties not as fully cooperative, which frankly should be a much bigger story if it were true .

My secondary thoughts : So Carver County cooperated and what did they get in return, but a clearly overly heavy-handed recommendation on March 5 (which started this thread ) that Carver should shut all youth sports on the eve of the playoffs. What message does that send to be cooperative with MDH about tracing and testing ?

Third thoughts : When the schools , associations responded they would play on, MDH responded with another overly heavy handed order for Carver to test all athletes three days before every game, and then additionally at least once a week, and continue to do this for the entire rest of the school year. Was this kind of testing mandate implemented throughout the state counties wherever clusters were appearing? Regardless of the source activity, —- whether sports, rally’s, Target shoppers, churches , restaurants , colleges, etc ?

In the end, the three Carver high schools and that CCHA associations were able to play on and continue their season to the natural end . Many other districts had to cancel their season, and not to be judgmental, but they were never the subject of front page star Tribune articles for three weeks . I think this points out that Carver was being responsible right along and throughout. And therefore continues to beg the question : why did MDH push the story for three straight weeks?

lakescountrylife

Re: Carver County Alert

Post by lakescountrylife » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:17 pm

goldy313 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:27 pm
Covid has played a huge part in section tournaments in southern Minnesota....

Boys hockey lost Mayo, Northfield, and forced East and Farmington to play their JV.

Girls basketball lost Century and top seed Red Wing.

Boys basketball lost John Marshall, Farmington, and East.

Maybe not so ironically the smaller schools who have been in school full time haven’t lost any schools due to Covid.
Further north

Small schools out during the season at one time due to COVID:
Prairie Center
Crookston

Small schools eliminated from sections due to COVID:
Wadena-Deer Creek
Ely
River Lakes
International Falls
Detroit Lakes

probably missing some