Carver County Alert

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Carver County Alert

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:32 pm

Last edited by WestMetro on Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stang5280

Re: Carver County Alert

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:59 pm

So Chaska, Chanhassen, Holy Family, and Waconia (and Mound Westonka as Watertown Mayer co-op) are staring at potential shutdown for the rest of the season. There may be some frantic meetings coming in the days, and even hours, ahead.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:43 pm

Chan 4 10 pm news, paraphrase :

Chaska Chan Association puts out statement they will not shut down unless issued a direct Gov/MDH Shutdown order , rather than a recommendation
————

Chaska and Chanhassen public high schools will each have to make a decision what to do , presumably in sync but not necessarily .And Waconia . And private Holy Family high school will have to make a decision . not necessarily same as the others

Then there is the question of continued access to public ice facilities

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:02 am

They have now pulled it down from the website?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:56 am

Here it is from MDH yesterday . Don’t know what happened to the Carver County website post of the alert

https://www.health.state.mn.us/news/pre ... 30521.html

Yesterday’s case counts by county dont seem to be very unusual.
Must be related to the concern about the new strain

Henn. 153
Ramsey 62
Dakota 48
Carver 26
Wash 25
Scott23
Wright 23
Anoka 23

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:32 am

Notably, Holy Family's game with Jefferson today has been canceled, though there's no indication of further cancellations for either team. (Jefferson lost a game to SLP earlier this week, but we already know they're on the Covid list.)

The overall case numbers certainly don't seem to justify any radical measures, though.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:47 am

My understanding is Holy Family immediately last night told all varsity athletes to quarantine pending completion of Covid test by all by Sunday the 7th. Results of that to be then assessed for any potential further steps

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:29 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:47 am
My understanding is Holy Family immediately last night told all varsity athletes to quarantine pending completion of Covid test by all by Sunday the 7th. Results of that to be then assessed for any potential further steps
So HF is private, so maybe that's different, but out of curiosity does anyone know the legality of "requiring" student athletes to test and how would the public vs private school aspect differ on that, if at all?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:11 pm

Eastern Carver County SD , Chaska and Chan HS, has now stated varsity sports will continue , with additional spectator and other mitigation measures .

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:41 pm

Holy Family game against Delano on Monday is also toast. Hopefully they are not done for the season. That would be a rough way to end it.

Cookster

Post by Cookster » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:08 pm

Victoria Rec Center and Chaska Community Center have communicated that they will be shut down starting tomorrow, Monday, March 8th

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:26 pm

Cookster wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:08 pm
Victoria Rec Center and Chaska Community Center have communicated that they will be shut down starting tomorrow, Monday, March 8th
:cry:

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:01 pm

Recap of my understandings and educated guesses are :

- CCHA has said they will continue to play until ordered to shut down

— ECC SD Has said varsity sports will continue with additional mitigation efforts

— HF is in middle of a testing regimen , which probably was reason for Sat and Monday cancellation . Just my guess

- City of Chaska and ECC SD own CCC and VIA. They have said they are beginning to shut down Monday . I am guessing their priority is to preserve varsity ice time, but that’s just my guess

- meanwhile CCHA has said they are not shutting down and are having a meeting with District and Minn Hockey tonite to make their case and assess alternatives

-

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:31 pm

Updated case figures reported today from yesterday . Carver continues to be in the same range as other outer metro counties

Henn. 170
Ramsey 59
Dakota 82
Carver 32
Wash 31
Scott. 34
Wright 16
Anoka 35

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:36 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:01 pm
Recap of my understandings and educated guesses are :

- CCHA has said they will continue to play until ordered to shut down

— ECC SD Has said varsity sports will continue with additional mitigation efforts

— HF is in middle of a testing regimen , which probably was reason for Sat and Monday cancellation . Just my guess

- City of Chaska and ECC SD own CCC and VIA. They have said they are beginning to shut down Monday . I am guessing their priority is to preserve varsity ice time, but that’s just my guess

- meanwhile CCHA has said they are not shutting down and are having a meeting with District and Minn Hockey tonite to make their case and assess alternatives

-
Thanks for the info WM. The only item I would question is if you shut a rink down, I think you shut it down completely and not for everyone except for the varsity teams, but I definitely hope that I'm wrong!!

Never a good time for this, but this is about as bad as the timing gets and as you stated, the case numbers seem to be quite low for a county with a population of Dakota County (~430K).

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:48 pm

My understanding is WM is correct. Vic and CCC shut down to rental groups like CCHA, open skate, etc, but will be open to varsity teams for Chaska, Chanhassen, Chaska/Chan girls, and HF once they are cleared by their school to play again.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:52 pm

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:48 pm
My understanding is WM is correct. Vic and CCC shut down to rental groups like CCHA, open skate, etc, but will be open to varsity teams for Chaska, Chanhassen, Chaska/Chan girls, and HF once they are cleared by their school to play again.
While none of this is good news at least that’s one relative bright spot I suppose.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:54 pm

One possibility according to one source : any ccha games with playoff implications will continue as planned

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:01 am

WestMetro wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:54 pm
One possibility according to one source : any ccha games with playoff implications will continue as planned
Hoping this is allowed.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:04 am

My understanding is that CCHA and CCC/VIC rinks have not been able to come to an ice arrangement for continued play so far , and CCHA will be exploring other ice alternatives .

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 am

Apparently the Star Tribune thinks the Carver County sports team situation is also linked to the risk of all Minnesotans spring break travel, because they felt the need to mention the two unrelated items together in the same sentence in the third paragraph of last nights article . C’mon journalists!

https://m.startribune.com/minnesota-hea ... lmob=y&c=n

“But recent variant infections in the state, including clusters linked last week to youth athletics in Carver County, highlight the risk with getaways, even as more people get vaccinated, health officials say.”

Cookster

Post by Cookster » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:53 am

There was a critical meeting held tonight bringing together MN Hockey, District 6, CCHA, Waconia, and Eden Prairie (due to the 15U girls’ co-op with EP) to determine next steps with our season despite the shutdown of our Victoria and Chaska rinks and the recommendation of MN Department of Health. We are extremely thankful that MN Hockey and District 6 has left the decision up to the associations to determine the best approach to move forward, with extreme sensitivity and compassion to the current COVID crisis. This is a very stressful time and any decision we make must be made with all perspectives in mind and most importantly be driven by data. Therefore, we have landed on the following decision.

CCHA will be allowed to continue to play assuming we can find the ice over the next two weeks. Therefore, we have made the determination to prioritize teams who are in the hunt for Regions/State, the D6 Tournament

For those teams who are not in a post season playoff hunt, we will be reaching out to your Team Managers and Coaches to have each team make a determination if they would like additional ice time for rescheduled games/practices if possible or just end the season. There will be limited ice available through March 22nd, therefore we want to ensure only the teams who want to continue to play get first priority ice.

We have looked at the schedules for those teams who are currently pursuing post season play and will prioritize rescheduling GAMES ONLY for the week of March 8th. Due to limited ice availability, all practices this week are cancelled for all levels. The following week more ice becomes available and for those teams who do not move into Regions/State and District Playoffs we will work to incorporate rescheduled games and potentially some practice ice touches into the schedule.

This is more for the Mn Hockey world, than High School. It is interesting to find out if the Chaska -EP game scheduled in Chaska for Saturday or the Holy Family-Benilde Game Scheduled in Victoria for Thursday will still go on, or if they switch locations

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:15 pm

Cookster wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:53 am
There was a critical meeting held tonight bringing together MN Hockey, District 6, CCHA, Waconia, and Eden Prairie (due to the 15U girls’ co-op with EP) to determine next steps with our season despite the shutdown of our Victoria and Chaska rinks and the recommendation of MN Department of Health. We are extremely thankful that MN Hockey and District 6 has left the decision up to the associations to determine the best approach to move forward, with extreme sensitivity and compassion to the current COVID crisis. This is a very stressful time and any decision we make must be made with all perspectives in mind and most importantly be driven by data. Therefore, we have landed on the following decision.

CCHA will be allowed to continue to play assuming we can find the ice over the next two weeks. Therefore, we have made the determination to prioritize teams who are in the hunt for Regions/State, the D6 Tournament

For those teams who are not in a post season playoff hunt, we will be reaching out to your Team Managers and Coaches to have each team make a determination if they would like additional ice time for rescheduled games/practices if possible or just end the season. There will be limited ice available through March 22nd, therefore we want to ensure only the teams who want to continue to play get first priority ice.

We have looked at the schedules for those teams who are currently pursuing post season play and will prioritize rescheduling GAMES ONLY for the week of March 8th. Due to limited ice availability, all practices this week are cancelled for all levels. The following week more ice becomes available and for those teams who do not move into Regions/State and District Playoffs we will work to incorporate rescheduled games and potentially some practice ice touches into the schedule.

This is more for the Mn Hockey world, than High School. It is interesting to find out if the Chaska -EP game scheduled in Chaska for Saturday or the Holy Family-Benilde Game Scheduled in Victoria for Thursday will still go on, or if they switch locations
Thanks for the visibility on an incredibly tough situation.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 pm

Chan HS has a game at VIC tonite in progress