Official Section Seedings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BlueLineSpecial

Re: Official Section Seedings

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:55 am

On a more topical note, I see Irondale beat the Minnehaha Co-Op last night in the 4AA play-in game. They get off the schneid in fashion with their first win of the year... in the playoffs. Unfortunately it'll be their last win of the year too. But good to get one, for sure.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:36 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:45 am
karl(east) wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:42 pm
Figured I'd drop this now 3-year-old link in here to feed off the 2008 nostalgia: https://apatientcycle.com/2018/03/18/a- ... back-2008/

...which makes me realize I need to get to work on the 2011 edition...
Ryan Furne, my favorite transfer from Tartan ever. He wasn't the most talented or fastest skater I ever saw, but man was he a winner.
And that's saying something, with all the Tartan transfers Hill has taken on. Wasn't Furne your avatar for the longest time?

I've always said Hill cost me at least fifty bucks that year, because I had an extra ticket for the championship game and a Roseau-Edina final would've been one that everyone wanted to see. As it was I couldn't give away the extra ticket.
It's hard to win when you always lose.

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:54 pm

Obviously an upset can happen in the Roseau vs. Buffalo game. I think it was mentioned that Buffalo played a brutal schedule being in the Lake Conference (just threw up in my mouth a little bit). I believe somebody posted a SOS listing on another post and Roseau was ranked 8th and Buffalo 10th.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:59 pm

ChrisK wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:36 pm
Sparlimb wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Figured I'd drop this now 3-year-old link in here to feed off the 2008 nostalgia: https://apatientcycle.com/2018/03/18/a- ... back-2008/

Ryan Furne, my favorite transfer from Tartan ever. He wasn't the most talented or fastest skater I ever saw, but man was he a winner.
And that's saying something, with all the Tartan transfers Hill has taken on. Wasn't Furne your avatar for the longest time?

I've always said Hill cost me at least fifty bucks that year, because I had an extra ticket for the championship game and a Roseau-Edina final would've been one that everyone wanted to see. As it was I couldn't give away the extra ticket.

Huh. Attendance for total AA sessions in 2008 was the largest in the last 25 years. Saturday night in 2008 was also the highest attended session in the last 25 years. Lastly, 2008 had the largest attendance overall (class A & AA) in the history of the state tournament. Guess it was compelling to some folks...

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:38 pm

ChrisK wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

And to think I had to catch a red-eye the night before to get home for that game. Was a good one to see in person...

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:01 pm

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:10 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:55 am
On a more topical note, I see Irondale beat the Minnehaha Co-Op last night in the 4AA play-in game. They get off the schneid in fashion with their first win of the year... in the playoffs. Unfortunately it'll be their last win of the year too. But good to get one, for sure.
Yes! I always feel bad for the teams that don't have any success. I noticed while perusing MyHockey rankings that there were some winless teams including Irondale. Who Hill-Murray plays. So I realized they won a game! Good for those kids. It's got to be hard as the season drags. One year Richfield or Kennedy or Richfield/Kennedy was winless late with a ton of one-goal losses.
Be kind. Rewind.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:11 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:59 pm
ChrisK wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:

Huh. Attendance for total AA sessions in 2008 was the largest in the last 25 years. Saturday night in 2008 was also the highest attended session in the last 25 years. Lastly, 2008 had the largest attendance overall (class A & AA) in the history of the state tournament. Guess it was compelling to some folks...
Must have been all those folks from the city of Hill Murray buying those tix. Unfortunately, I didn't run into any of them.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:13 pm

karl(east) wrote:

Sorry to veer even more off topic, but I had a personal connection to Providence College around that time, and the former HC, Tim Army, was recruiting a bunch of MN kids straight out of high school. There were several from that state tournament alone. Matt Bergland was about the only one who flourished, and Nate Leaman’s tenure has obviously been more successful.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:16 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:10 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Yes! I always feel bad for the teams that don't have any success. I noticed while perusing MyHockey rankings that there were some winless teams including Irondale. Who Hill-Murray plays. So I realized they won a game! Good for those kids. It's got to be hard as the season drags. One year Richfield or Kennedy or Richfield/Kennedy was winless late with a ton of one-goal losses.
Agreed! I never played high school hockey (if you ever see me skate you'll know why) but have played on some bad adult hockey teams and that was tough going to those games knowing you'd get whomped by 8 goals or whatever every time. I have to imagine it would be even harder motivating yourself to go to practice. Good for Irondale, even though they know the reward for winning will be playing Hill.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:18 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:10 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote:
I'm sure it's no fun, and difficult to keep everyone motivated as the season goes along. Interestingly if you look at Irondale's games this year, they tied in their 1st game of the year (against Woodbury) and then lost 17 in a row before winning last night's play-in.

"Hey boys! Not a bad start to the season! We got a tie! Lets use that momentum to have a winning season!" (car flies off cliff)

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:21 pm

ChrisK wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:11 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:59 pm
ChrisK wrote:

Must have been all those folks from the city of Hill Murray buying those tix. Unfortunately, I didn't run into any of them.
:lol:

We've got a substantial fan base that travels from the city of Hill Murray to State if we get there. Not quite sure we can move the dial quite that much to set records, though....

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:30 pm

That 2008 tournament was very special to me. I had been a bit embarrassed at how long it had been since our last championship; when the last seconds ticked off the clock, I felt as much relief as I did elation.

I recall how Roseau was the clear favorite to repeat, but they had played a pretty soft schedule. Early in their 1/4 final, Arron Ness scored on Blaine, and I found his reaction telling. Mostly he extended his arms, in a manner I read as, “See how its done? Pretty easy for us, huh?“

The moment I recall from the hill 1/4 final was (Dennis?) Czecka coming in the Lakeville North end and at the half wall firing an absolute rocket that may have been in and out of the net before the Lakeville net minder even knew it went in.

That Pioneer squad had a suffocating defense, and when Roseau came across the blue line, they had no idea how to react to the hits they took. The coach looked madder than a wet hen, his face was beet red and it was clear he had no idea how to respond either. Lex has a game plan for each playoff opponent, and it shows.

Roseau scored the only two goals against Phillipi that weekend. Phillippi played well, but he benefited from his defense-men plenty; he was able to square himself to the shooter nearly every time. I felt that defeating the undefeated Rams when they were such heavy favorites solidified for years to come the hatred so many have for us.

I didn't relax a bit when we went up 2 - 0 on Edina in the final, even though a lot of people saw it as the back breaker. Even up 3 - 0, I wanted another one so badly. It turned out to be the last Pioneer championship I watched with my Dad, and he was very much on my mind as I headed to the X as the sun set behind the Saint Paul skyline for last years final. Damn Alzheimer's.

People will tell you they hate the Pioneers & Edina, but the fact is they will more readily shell out their hard earned cash to see either one in the final over every other team. Fans pine to see any one else in the final, but the fact is they are more likely to catch those ones at home. Most importantly, if you pay close attention to hill - Edina tournament games, you will notice that we are hated juuuust a bit more than Edina.
Hockey Is For Everyone

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 pm

[/quote]

:lol:

We've got a substantial fan base that travels from the city of Hill Murray to State if we get there. Not quite sure we can move the dial quite that much to set records, though....
[/quote]

Keep it quiet, if people know the entire City of Hill Murray is at the X, all of our houses will be burgled!
Hockey Is For Everyone

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:09 pm

Thanks for sharing your recollections regarding that 2008 tourney, East Side Traitor Guy (I call you that in jest). That was a great year, even though the Roseau squad, which I really liked, got thumped by your Pioneers. I have great respect for both Hill and Edina and the long commitment that the school and community have put into their hockey programs. Even though it will be quite different not being at the X, I'm hoping that this year's tourney will be as good as 2008.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:01 am

This was Karl's last posted top 25, with teams currently eliminated in red. Of the 16 teams remaining in AA, there are no teams left that ranked below #20. With the exception of Benilde (4 seed in section 6AA) and Minnetonka (3 seed in 2AA) the top two seeds in every section made their respective section final.

1. Hill-Murray
2. Lakeville South
3. Maple Grove
4. Eden Prairie
5. Grand Rapids
6. Cretin-Derham Hall
7. Andover
8. Wayzata
9. St. Thomas Academy
10. Edina
11. Prior Lake
12. Minnetonka
13. Rosemount
14. Benilde-St. Margaret’s
15. Roseau
16. Moorhead
17. Holy Family
18. White Bear Lake
19. Lakeville North
20. Centennial
21. Blake
22. St. Louis Park
23. Shakopee
24. Rogers
25. Hastings

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:28 am

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:01 am
This was Karl's last posted top 25, with teams currently eliminated in red. Of the 16 teams remaining in AA, there are no teams left that ranked below #20. With the exception of Benilde (4 seed in section 6AA) and Minnetonka (3 seed in 2AA) the top two seeds in every section made their respective section final.

1. Hill-Murray
2. Lakeville South
3. Maple Grove
4. Eden Prairie
5. Grand Rapids
6. Cretin-Derham Hall
7. Andover
8. Wayzata
9. St. Thomas Academy
10. Edina
11. Prior Lake
12. Minnetonka
13. Rosemount
15. Roseau
16. Moorhead
17. Holy Family
18. White Bear Lake
19. Lakeville North
20. Centennial
21. Blake
22. St. Louis Park
23. Shakopee
24. Rogers
25. Hastings
There is precedent for this (at least six section finals featuring the #1 seed vs #2 seed). Most recently, 2018. And in 2011, the top two seeds met in every section final. This is in Class AA--I didn't look at Class A.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Cookster

Post by Cookster » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:38 am

If the Top 5 all win, would you change the seedings of any of them?

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:40 am

Interesting, thanks Lee. As a fan, its a balance - I know I like to see the best teams, but also enjoy the upsets. After a full season, even with a quirky year like this one, we pretty much know what each team is and isn't (THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!! -Denny Green)

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:43 am

Cookster wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:38 am
If the Top 5 all win, would you change the seedings of any of them?
Assuming the top 5 all advance, I personally don't see Hill getting the #1 seed. O-Town in a separate thread had it right IMO. I could see Hill v Rapids as the 4/5 and then maybe LS #1, MG #2, EP #3

I could see Hill getting the 3 seed, maybe even the 2 seed.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:47 pm

east hockey wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:28 am
BlueLineSpecial wrote:

1. Hill-Murray
2. Lakeville South
3. Maple Grove
4. Eden Prairie
5. Grand Rapids
6. Cretin-Derham Hall
7. Andover
8. Wayzata
9. St. Thomas Academy
10. Edina
11. Prior Lake
12. Minnetonka
13. Rosemount
15. Roseau
16. Moorhead
17. Holy Family
18. White Bear Lake
19. Lakeville North
20. Centennial
21. Blake
22. St. Louis Park
23. Shakopee
24. Rogers
25. Hastings
There is precedent for this (at least six section finals featuring the #1 seed vs #2 seed). Most recently, 2018. And in 2011, the top two seeds met in every section final. This is in Class AA--I didn't look at Class A.

Lee
In Class A this year, so far we have…
1A #3 Mankato West vs #1 Dodge County
2A #2 Delano vs #1 Breck
3A #2 LDC vs #1 Hutchinson
5A #2 Northern Lakes vs #1 Monticello

So the only interloper is Mankato West, and it’s unlikely they would be in the final without the East Covid situation.

Of the remaining sections, the top two seeds are all but guaranteed to meet in the finals in 4A, 7A, and 8A, and I would put money on a Fergus and Little Falls matchup in 6A.

I would have to look back to see historical trends, but this season is essentially pure chalk for Class A.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:50 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:47 pm
east hockey wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:28 am
BlueLineSpecial wrote:

1. Hill-Murray
2. Lakeville South
3. Maple Grove
4. Eden Prairie
5. Grand Rapids
6. Cretin-Derham Hall
7. Andover
8. Wayzata
9. St. Thomas Academy
10. Edina
11. Prior Lake
12. Minnetonka
13. Rosemount
15. Roseau
16. Moorhead
17. Holy Family
18. White Bear Lake
19. Lakeville North
20. Centennial
21. Blake
22. St. Louis Park
23. Shakopee
24. Rogers
25. Hastings

Lee
In Class A this year, so far we have…
1A #3 Mankato West vs #1 Dodge County
2A #2 Delano vs #1 Breck
3A #2 LDC vs #1 Hutchinson
5A #2 Northern Lakes vs #1 Monticello

So the only interloper is Mankato West, and it’s unlikely they would be in the final without the East Covid situation.

Of the remaining sections, the top two seeds are all but guaranteed to meet in the finals in 4A, 7A, and 8A, and I would put money on a Fergus and Little Falls matchup in 6A.

I would have to look back to see historical trends, but this season is essentially pure chalk for Class A.
The most recent example I found of this in Class A was in 2014, where seven finals were the #1 vs #2 seed. In the only exception, it was #3 vs #1

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:44 pm

Reposting this list, updated following Wednesday's games. Again, this was Karl's last posted top 25, with teams currently eliminated in red.

1. Hill-Murray
2. Lakeville South
3. Maple Grove
4. Eden Prairie
5. Grand Rapids
6. Cretin-Derham Hall

7. Andover
8. Wayzata
9. St. Thomas Academy
10. Edina
11. Prior Lake
12. Minnetonka
13. Rosemount

15. Roseau
16. Moorhead
17. Holy Family
18. White Bear Lake
19. Lakeville North

20. Centennial
21. Blake
22. St. Louis Park
23. Shakopee
24. Rogers
25. Hastings

If Maple Grove takes care of business as most everyone expects they will, then you'll have 7 of the top 9 teams in the state making the tournament. I know not all of those teams are likable, at least according to some posters. But if you're looking for a high-talent, high-end teams, this year's tourney is shaping up quite well. If you're looking for the plucky underdogs who get wrecked at State, you might be disappointed.