Mr. Hockey & Brimsek finalists

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

Mr. Hockey & Brimsek finalists

Post by O-townClown » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:26 pm

The 10 Mr. Hockey finalists:

Carter Batchelder, forward, Eden Prairie
Cam Boche, forward, Lakeville South
Jackson Hallum, forward, St. Thomas Academy
Kyle Kukkonen, forward, Maple Grove
Luke Levandowski, forward, Rosemount
Luke Mittelstadt, defenseman, Eden Prairie
Henry Nelson, defenseman, Maple Grove
Joey Palodichuk, defenseman, Hill-Murray
Jack Peart, defenseman, Grand Rapids
Joey Pierce, defenseman, Hermantown

The three Frank Brimsek finalists:

Aksel Reid, Blake
Alex Timmons, Gentry Academy
Jack Wieneke, Maple Grove
Be kind. Rewind.

The Exiled One

Re: Mr. Hockey & Brimsek finalists

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:00 pm

Carter Batchelder, forward, Eden Prairie (Colorado College)
Cam Boche, forward, Lakeville South (Uncommitted)
Jackson Hallum, forward, St. Thomas Academy (Michigan)
Kyle Kukkonen, forward, Maple Grove (Michigan Tech)
Luke Levandowski, forward, Rosemount (Wisconsin)
Luke Mittelstadt, defenseman, Eden Prairie (Minnesota)
Henry Nelson, defenseman, Maple Grove (Notre Dame)
Joey Palodichuk, defenseman, Hill-Murray (Wisconsin)
Jack Peart, defenseman, Grand Rapids (St. Cloud State)
Joey Pierce, defenseman, Hermantown (Minnesota-Duluth)

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:11 pm

Good looking list!

Boche example of a pick that was properly made ,Ahrenholz better known

Timmons interesting pick also. Big game against Maht next Friday nite. His sister is a varsity goalie for Stillwater as a 9th grader , double goalie parent pressure in that family.
Last edited by WestMetro on Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:22 pm

I would have to do some digging to confirm, but it has to be rare to see so many defensemen among the finalists (50/50 split in this case).

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:34 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:22 pm
I would have to do some digging to confirm, but it has to be rare to see so many defensemen among the finalists (50/50 split in this case).
No doubt. But Palodichuk, Pierce, Peart & Mittelstadt are some pretty big names. Thats a who's who of blueliner studs. Full disclosure, I know nothing about Henry Nelson the other Dman on the list.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:39 pm

I see on Hill's twitter feed that Palodichuk is the school's 13th Mr. Hockey Finalist. Be interesting to see where that stands comparatively to other schools. I actually don't think 13 finalists total is all that many. Assuming the EPs & Edinas of the world, who seem to have someone on that list every year, have way more?

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:40 pm

Wouldn't have guessed Boche but he deserves it based on the year he has had.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:27 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:39 pm
I see on Hill's twitter feed that Palodichuk is the school's 13th Mr. Hockey Finalist. Be interesting to see where that stands comparatively to other schools. I actually don't think 13 finalists total is all that many. Assuming the EPs & Edinas of the world, who seem to have someone on that list every year, have way more?
Edina: 16
East: 15
EP: 12
Blaine: 12
Moorhead: 10
Grand Rapids: 10

Those look like the only other schools with double digit finalists. So they are all in about the same ballpark as Hill.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:46 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:27 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote:

Those look like the only other schools with double digit finalists. So they are all in about the same ballpark as Hill.
Hill's never had a Mr. Hockey winner, however.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
BlueLineSpecial wrote:

That was fast, thanks Stang! Interesting to see....

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:03 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:46 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
BlueLineSpecial wrote:

Hill's never had a Mr. Hockey winner, however.
I believe that's true. Would also be curious to see which team's have had the most Brimsek award finalists. Hill has got to be up there on that list too. And thats an award we've definitely had players win. Would assume Moorhead maybe has a number too? I always seem to recall the Spuds having great goalies....

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:09 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:56 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
BlueLineSpecial wrote:

No problem. Thankfully I was just able to whip up the page with historical nominations and use word search for school names.

As far as winners go, here’s what I could find for schools with multiple:
Eden Prairie 3
Blaine 3
Elk River 2
Greenway 2
Grand Rapids 2
Jefferson 2

None for Hill, and only one each for Edina and East.

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:41 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:09 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:

No problem. Thankfully I was just able to whip up the page with historical nominations and use word search for school names.

Eden Prairie 3
Blaine 3
Elk River 2
Greenway 2
Grand Rapids 2
Jefferson 2

Goalies for Hill:
Jake Begley 2017
Joe Phillippi 2008

Michael Bitzer from Moorhead in 2012?

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:35 am

In the City of Hill*-Murray, we are not concerned with individual honors, just state titles.

*Named for Mary Hill, wife of James J. Hill
Hockey Is For Everyone

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:01 am

InYourFace09 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:41 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
BlueLineSpecial wrote:

Eden Prairie 3
Blaine 3
Elk River 2
Greenway 2
Grand Rapids 2
Jefferson 2

Goalies for Hill:
Jake Begley 2017
Joe Phillippi 2008

I thought the Moorhead goalie from last year won the award? That's my recollection...

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:15 am

Sparlimb wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:01 am
InYourFace09 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:41 pm
Stang5280 wrote:

Eden Prairie 3
Blaine 3
Elk River 2
Greenway 2
Grand Rapids 2
Jefferson 2

Goalies for Hill:
Jake Begley 2017
Joe Phillippi 2008

I thought the Moorhead goalie from last year won the award? That's my recollection...
Hudson Hodges - Moorhead - 2020. Yup

Did a little research. Looks like the award began for the 1994-1995 seasons. Anyone care to take a guess on which school has the most award winners?

Cloquet! 3 times they've had a Brimsek award winner. Apple Valley, Bloomington Jefferson, Duluth East (with remarkably 2 in a row - 1997 & 1998), Hill Murray, Moorhead, STA & WBL each with 2 past winners.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:07 pm

Some year a school may hit the Daily Double by winning Mr hockey and the Brimsek awards.

The hat trick would be to win both awards and the state championship.

The Grand Slam would be winning both awards on the boys & girls side.
Hockey Is For Everyone

Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:25 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:07 pm
Some year a school may hit the Daily Double by winning Mr hockey and the Brimsek awards.

2014: Grand Rapids hit your daily double with Avery Peterson and some Shepard kid (who had a better college career)
It is what it is!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:43 pm

Bigcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:25 pm

2014: Grand Rapids hit your daily double with Avery Peterson and some Shepard kid (who had a better college career)
Yep, that would be the only one. This East fan living in the past will now bask in the fond memories of that 2014 section semifinal.

2011 Eden Prairie came close to the hat trick when Kyle Rau won Mr. Hockey, they won the title, and Andrew Ford was a Brimsek finalist.
1998 Duluth East also had a Brimsek in Adam Coole, a Mr. Hockey finalist in Nick Angell, and a title.

Mr. Hockey winners who won a title as seniors: Nick Checco, Mike Crowley, Tom Gorowsky, Nick Leddy, Kyle Rau
Won not as seniors: Dave Spehar, Johnny Pohl, Ryan McDonagh, Aaron Ness, Kyle Rau, Grant Besse
Checco, Crowley, and Rau appear on both lists. Interesting that it's been a while since we had a Mr. Hockey win the title.

Brimsek winners who won a title as seniors: Karl Goehring, Adam Coole, Joe Phillippi, David Zevnik
Won not as seniors: Kyle Kolquist (as a backup), Jake Brant, Alec Richards, Charlie Glockner

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:15 am

karl(east) wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:43 pm
Bigcat99 wrote:

Yep, that would be the only one. This East fan living in the past will now bask in the fond memories of that 2014 section semifinal.

2011 Eden Prairie came close to the hat trick when Kyle Rau won Mr. Hockey, they won the title, and Andrew Ford was a Brimsek finalist.
1998 Duluth East also had a Brimsek in Adam Coole, a Mr. Hockey finalist in Nick Angell, and a title.

Mr. Hockey winners who won a title as seniors: Nick Checco, Mike Crowley, Tom Gorowsky, Nick Leddy, Kyle Rau
Won not as seniors: Dave Spehar, Johnny Pohl, Ryan McDonagh, Aaron Ness, Kyle Rau, Grant Besse
Checco, Crowley, and Rau appear on both lists. Interesting that it's been a while since we had a Mr. Hockey win the title.

Brimsek winners who won a title as seniors: Karl Goehring, Adam Coole, Joe Phillippi, David Zevnik
Won not as seniors: Kyle Kolquist (as a backup), Jake Brant, Alec Richards, Charlie Glockner
You'd think if you hit the daily double that you'd also walk away with the hat trick. If you've got the Mr. Hockey winner and the Frank Brimsek winner, you're more like than not a top 3 team.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:06 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:15 am
karl(east) wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:43 pm
Bigcat99 wrote:

You'd think if you hit the daily double that you'd also walk away with the hat trick. If you've got the Mr. Hockey winner and the Frank Brimsek winner, you're more like than not a top 3 team.
Out of curiosity, I went back and looked at a few weeks of rankings from the Grand Rapids 2013-2014 season. I had them at #19 preseason and #20 before sections. They climbed into the top 15 for a bit but fell out after getting blasted 5-0 by East at IRA in early January. (I made the road trip for that one and enjoyed myself immensely.) They got the 3-seed in 7AA and lost 5-2 to East in the semifinals, in a game that was only marginally more interesting than the regular season meeting.

Two players do not a great team make. That Rapids squad did have some serious talent in its sophomore class, which included 2016 Mr. Hockey finalist Mitch Mattson and Alex Adams for a total of 4 D-I players. The junior and senior classes were pretty thin beyond Peterson and Shepard, though.

The East team that manhandled them was an interesting contrast...just one D-I player, albeit a dominant one (Phil Beaulieu), plus one great HS defenseman in Alex Trapp, and then just a bunch of decent depth in good-but-not-great players who formed the core of that stunning 2015 run. They knocked off an Elk River team with 5 D-I players in the 7AA finals before falling to similarly built Eagan at State.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:31 am

That's surprising, Karl. No doubt two players don't make a team, but when you have the theoretical best goalie in the state and the best overall player in the state you'd assume they would find a way to be ranked higher than #20. As senior awards, you also assume experience and leadership. But depth matters...…

I don't expect anyone to do this but I'd be curious to see where each team with just ONE of these award winners ended up ranked over, say, the last ten years. For example:

Blake Biondi - Mr. Hockey - Hermantown - Final team ranking: #1 A
Hudson Hodges - Brimsek Award - Moorhead - Final team ranking: #3 AA

Bryce Brodzinski - Mr. Hockey - Blaine - Final team ranking: #2 AA
Charlie Glockner - Brimsek Award - Minnetonka - Final team ranking: #3 AA

I'd bet some cokes that most teams with just one of these award winners ended up ranked in the top 10 in their respective class. But then again, I was way off on Grand Rapids with both award winners. Still think that low ranking is quite an anomaly....

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:27 pm

Congratulations to Grand Rapid’s Jack Peart on winning the Mr. Hockey award. [-o<

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:39 pm

SEC Scotty wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:27 pm
Congratulations to Grand Rapid’s Jack Peart on winning the Mr. Hockey award. [-o<
Excellent choice and an outstanding player. First D-man to win it since Ryan McDonagh in 2007.

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:44 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:39 pm
SEC Scotty wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:27 pm
Excellent choice and an outstanding player. First D-man to win it since Ryan McDonagh in 2007.
I think two guys with the last names of Ness and Leddy would disagree with that