Section 7AA Final - Andover vs Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Section 7AA Final: Who ya got?

Andover
28%
Grand Rapids
72%

Total votes: 32

mnmouth

Section 7AA Final - Andover vs Grand Rapids

Post by mnmouth » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:45 am

Might as well get this going. Defending Section champion makes the somewhat difficult journey to Grand Rapids. Will the Huskies leave their legs on the bus or will they make it two in a row for a 7AA "southern" representative?

Sparlimb

Re: Section 7AA Final - Andover vs Grand Rapids

Post by Sparlimb » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:24 am

Rapids isn't a high scoring team, so I expect this to be very close with a good chance of overtime. Could go either way and neither result would surprise me.

Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:40 am

3-1 GR empty netter

Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:09 pm

Andover in a close one. 3-1

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:11 pm

6-1 Rapids

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:27 pm

Not a lot of love for Andover - surprising.

Also, what's better for Andover: playing this game at Rapids without the usual rabid Rapids contingent filling the IRA, or playing this game at Amsoil, if it were a normal year? Seems Amsoil would have the better option for the Huskies in an ironic twist (for those who dislike Amsoil as a permanent venue for Sectionals) that Covid prevented from happening.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:54 pm

mnmouth wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:27 pm

Also, what's better for Andover: playing this game at Rapids without the usual rabid Rapids contingent filling the IRA, or playing this game at Amsoil, if it were a normal year? Seems Amsoil would have the better option for the Huskies in an ironic twist (for those who dislike Amsoil as a permanent venue for Sectionals) that Covid prevented from happening.
I would expect there to be more people at the rink then than governor would approve of.
Funny how some back doors don't want to shut properly.

GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:38 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:54 pm
mnmouth wrote:

=D>
I would expect there to be more people at the rink then than governor would approve of.
👍

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:46 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:54 pm
mnmouth wrote:

Yeah, definitely funny . . . :D

Should be able to ascertain pretty quickly on the broadcast if you are correct on the crowd size.

jdh

Post by jdh » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:26 pm

Anyone know the radio station carrying the game?

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:38 pm

jdh wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:26 pm
KOZY radio

https://streamdb3web.securenetsystems.n ... ign=KBAJFM

GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:39 pm

jdh wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:26 pm
kozyradio.com.

Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:09 pm

Fightinghawklover wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:09 pm
Andover in a close one. 3-1
Only missed it by a goal!!! GREAT JOB HUSKIES!!!!

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:16 pm

I hoped the Pioneers would have another shot against Rapids. Darn.
Hockey Is For Everyone

Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:23 pm

I never scene a team pack it in like that but Andover did and won unbelievable, congratulations to them but awful call on Jack when they could have called the same thing two minutes before and some we’ll say they did a make up call with 30 seconds left that is BS you don’t call that in a championship game when you could have called that 8 times that period. Congratulations to Andover again but rapids is going to feel this one the better team lost.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:38 pm

I was hoping for a few more games but hats off to Andover for getting that 3-0 lead and hanging on. Rapids was a fun team to watch this year.

Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:42 pm

Disappointing outcome, but hats off to Andover. Being down three was just too big a hill to climb for Rapids. Wow, Peart is amazing every time on the ice. I'm sorry to see it end this way for this group.

When next season rolls around I will be recalling how the refs ended this game before Rapids could complete the comeback...because GR never loses, they just end the game too soon.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

norcon

Post by norcon » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:19 pm

Ouch! That’s got to be the most heartbreaking loss I’ve witnessed in my years as a Rapids fan. To dominate the way they did and come up short, will linger with these boys for some time. As usual, they had many great opportunities to put pucks on net and crash hard for rebounds, but instead tried to to make pretty passes that didn’t succeed. Could have put fifty plus quality shots on net, easily. Tough to come back from a three goal deficit against a very good goalie. What a treat it has been to watch Jack Peart the last three years...definitely one of the best to have worn the orange and black. Good luck to Andover at state.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:39 pm

I thought the writing was on the wall when Rapids couldn't convert on their three PPs in the first period. Offensive firepower was always this team's Achilles Heel, and when they didn't take the early chances they got, it spelled trouble. Garrett Schifsky was the difference-maker, along with Will Larson in net. Credit to Rapids for battling back and throwing everything they had at Andover in the later stages of the game, but it just wasn't quite enough.

The Rapids fans' ref comments on Twitter are bringing back fond memories of 2013 for me. :wink: But, in all seriousness, congrats to Mr. Peart and a talented senior class--shame they couldn't break through. Hope Andover can represent the section well in St. Paul next week. Impressive work by Mark Manney and company to get back despite their heavy graduation losses. I doubt they'll be going away next season either.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:36 pm

Well that stings...

Bets on if Andover can finally win a game at state?
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:40 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:39 pm
I thought the writing was on the wall when Rapids couldn't convert on their three PPs in the first period. Offensive firepower was always this team's Achilles Heel, and when they didn't take the early chances they got, it spelled trouble. Garrett Schifsky was the difference-maker, along with Will Larson in net. Credit to Rapids for battling back and throwing everything they had at Andover in the later stages of the game, but it just wasn't quite enough.

The Rapids fans' ref comments on Twitter are bringing back fond memories of 2013 for me. :wink: But, in all seriousness, congrats to Mr. Peart and a talented senior class--shame they couldn't break through. Hope Andover can represent the section well in St. Paul next week. Impressive work by Mark Manney and company to get back despite their heavy graduation losses. I doubt they'll be going away next season either.
Why you gotta bring up the checking from behind no call on Avery Peterson when he was about to tie it up?

Maybe the bigger question is: how many years can East go without winning a playoff game? :wink: :D
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:13 am

Oh yes 2013 rapids kills a 5 minute major then Avery got cross checked to the back on a open net right before the puck got to him could have called interference or cross checking but nothing I try not to think of that awful game. The game tonight hurts in a different way rapids destroyed Andover for 23 minutes out shooting them 19-2 and didn’t score, I thought for sure GR was going to tie it the way they ended the second and the way Andover played in the third usually a team that can’t get it out of the zone a whole period does not win but it happened congratulations to Andover Again. After watching them it’s hard to believe they are going to win a game at state but I hope I am wrong and they win it all good luck huskies.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:24 am

karl(east) wrote:

I would have to agree that I felt the same way after the 1st period. Shortly after killing the 3rd penalty the Huskies promptly pounded one in. I was texting with a few guys during the game last night and when I updated after the first I mentioned that Rapids was 0-3 on the PP. Knowing that they would have to spend a decent amount of time on the other end of special teams.

Karl's first sentence was spot on.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:51 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:24 am
karl(east) wrote:

I would have to agree that I felt the same way after the 1st period. Shortly after killing the 3rd penalty the Huskies promptly pounded one in. I was texting with a few guys during the game last night and when I updated after the first I mentioned that Rapids was 0-3 on the PP. Knowing that they would have to spend a decent amount of time on the other end of special teams.

While I agree that Karl's first sentence was spot on, I think his second sentence, particularly the first phrase regarding the THawks lack of firepower, was even more telling. As it turns out, Larson stoning DeMars on that breakaway minutes into the 1st period might have been the sign that scoring a deflating goal - or even a big goal - was not in the cards for Rapids.

An even greater concern for fans of NE Minnesota Class AA hockey (Northern Minnesota Class AA hockey??) might be that we are getting closer and closer to the State Hockey Tournament becoming the Metro/Greater Metro Class AA Tournament, with no need to categorize it as a 'State' Tournament. We've been hearing about this possibility for nigh on 40 years and we unfortunately might finally be on the brink of this occurring regularly.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:08 am

mnmouth wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:51 am
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:24 am
karl(east) wrote:

While I agree that Karl's first sentence was spot on, I think his second sentence, particularly the first phrase regarding the THawks lack of firepower, was even more telling. As it turns out, Larson stoning DeMars on that breakaway minutes into the 1st period might have been the sign that scoring a deflating goal - or even a big goal - was not in the cards for Rapids.

An even greater concern for fans of NE Minnesota Class AA hockey (Northern Minnesota Class AA hockey??) might be that we are getting closer and closer to the State Hockey Tournament becoming the Metro/Greater Metro Class AA Tournament, with no need to categorize it as a 'State' Tournament. We've been hearing about this possibility for nigh on 40 years and we unfortunately might finally be on the brink of this occurring regularly.
I'd have to disagree. Rapids has had some really good teams lately and East is always strong (minus this year). Hermantown doesn't seem to be having issues competing either. I read all the comments from those of you who watched the game last night and you all agree Rapids was the better team. Sometimes the better teams lose. Sometimes they dominate and lose. I've seen it way too many times. That's what happens in playoffs that are one and out. I don't see a sky is falling scenario here...

Moorhead or Roseau just may surprise someone too. Let's see it all play out.