Official State seedings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

East Side Pioneer Guy

Re: Official Section Seedings

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:19 pm

I used to favor the #4 seed. You were able to stay under the radar, and drew an unseeded opponent, possibly a softer opponent than the #1 or #2 seeds.

Now, I favor being #4 or #5. If you are #4, you are likely drawing a tougher opponent than #1, #2, or #3; but it still keeps you under the radar. And either way, I get to complain about having to play in the late game every nite.

It looks like a very solid field, barring some huge upsets. I don't really see an easy out in the bunch. I have no problem calling Roseau the easiest opponent, and there are plenty of years the easiest opponent looks much softer than the Rams do this year. It will take 3 solid games to win the title, unlike last year when the Pioneers played a couple tough teams before kind of coasting in the final. (Shots fired!)
Hockey Is For Everyone

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:52 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:43 am
Assuming the top 5 all advance, I personally don't see Hill getting the #1 seed. O-Town in a separate thread had it right IMO. I could see Hill v Rapids as the 4/5 and then maybe LS #1, MG #2, EP #3

I could see Hill getting the 3 seed, maybe even the 2 seed.
1. Lakeville North at South
2. Minnetonka at Eden Prairie
3. Rosemount at St. Thomas
4. White Bear Lake at Hill-Murray
5. Centennial at Maple Grove
6. Benilde at Wayzata
7. Andover at Grand Rapids
8. Moorhead at Roseau

My feeling for State:

Seeded - Lakeville South, Eden Prairie, Hill-Murray, Maple Grove, Grand Rapids
Unseeded - Sections III, VI, VIII

If we get some upsets in the finals, a case can be made for Andover to be seeded.

Order for seeding is wide open in my eyes. Not how I would do it, but this wouldn't surprise me:

1. Lakeville South
2. Maple Grove
3. Eden Prairie
4. Grand Rapids
5. Hill-Murray
Be kind. Rewind.

Cookster

Post by Cookster » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:18 pm

So , If EP makes it, and does not get a 4/5 seed, it will be interesting if the "random" draw has them play a team they have previously faced once or twice this season (STA, Wayzata, Benilde) or they get the 8AA team.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:16 pm

1. Lakeville North
2. Eden Prairie
3. St. Thomas
4. Hill-Murray
5. Centennial at Maple Grove
6. Wayzata
7. Andover
8. Moorhead at Roseau

My feeling for State:

Seeded - Lakeville South, Eden Prairie, Hill-Murray, Maple Grove, Andover
Unseeded - Sections St, Thomas, Wayzata, VIII

1. Lakeville South
2. Maple Grove
3. Eden Prairie
4. Hill-Murray
5. Andover

Hard to fathom the defending state champs being seeded so low after the season they had, particularly when you consider how well they are playing down the stretch. My reasoning is that South's only blemishes are ties and they have a huge win over Maple Grove. The Crimson had a great run with only one loss. Eden Prairie is undefeated with Jackson Blake and played the most robust schedule. So there you have it, my pick to win state gets the 4. Curious to see how close I come.

Pray for no positive tests.
Be kind. Rewind.

Cookster

Post by Cookster » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Will Ep have to face STA or Wayzata a 3rd time, or will they get Andover or VIII.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:19 am

Hm
Lvs
MG
Ep
And
Sta
Way
Sec 8 winner

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:01 am

Cookster wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:18 pm
So , If EP makes it, and does not get a 4/5 seed, it will be interesting if the "random" draw has them play a team they have previously faced once or twice this season (STA, Wayzata, Benilde) or they get the 8AA team.
O boy, the random draw conspiracy again.

When will this be live streamed so we can end this nonsense? Like MShSL cares who EP plays, or anyone else for that matter.
Hockey Is For Everyone

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:23 am

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:01 am
Cookster wrote:

When will this be live streamed so we can end this nonsense? Like MShSL cares who EP plays, or anyone else for that matter.
The logic behind the random draw in comparison to seeding all 8 teams is?

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:51 pm

I am changing my mind and will put defending state champs over Eden Prairie. Given the strong accomplishments of all these teams I don't see it likely being a factor that EP is "undefeated when Blake plays" because they do have some blemishes.

Hill lost by a goal to what is probably the best team not in the field. Lost in OT to a rival where the game got weird...the only time they gave up more than a few goals all season.

This is my guess as seedings, not what I think will happen. I'm sticking by Hill as my favorite with either MG or EP if someone else wins. I'll take Wayzata to have a better chance than Lakeville South without seeing the draw. I don't think Andover, St. Thomas, or the 8 winner has any shot to win three games at the X. Spoiler role for those teams, which they are good enough to fill.

1. Lakeville South
2. Maple Grove
3. Hill-Murray
4. Eden Prairie
5. Andover
Be kind. Rewind.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:39 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:23 am
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:01 am
Cookster wrote:

The logic behind the random draw in comparison to seeding all 8 teams is?
The "Random Draw Conspiracy" is a ridiculous theory that the MSHSL 1) cares about which teams the non-seeded teams play and B) actually does something nefarious about it when C) if they wanted to they could just 1 -8.

Parse my words more carefully in the future. The Random Draw Conspiracy theory says nothing about the relative merits of seeding 1 - 5 versus 1 - 8, and neither.did I in this post.
Hockey Is For Everyone

east hockey
Site Admin

Official State seedings

Post by east hockey » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:35 pm

A few posts about State seedings have crept up in the Section seedings thread. I'm moving those here.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:02 pm

Cookster wrote:
Random Draw Conspiracy Alert - Take Cover - Authorities recommend you seek shelter under the nearest tin foil hat. :wink:

Sigh.
Hockey Is For Everyone

Sparlimb

Re: Official State seedings

Post by Sparlimb » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:00 pm

I think O-town has it right.

1. Lakeville South
2. Maple Grove
3. Hill-Murray
4. Eden Prairie
5. Andover
STA
Moorhead
Wayzata

And I wouldn't want to face Moorhead. They won't win 3, but they just might upset someone. They are playing their best hockey right now. In fact, anyone can beat anyone.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:09 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:00 pm
And I wouldn't want to face Moorhead.
Wayzata is my landmine. St. Thomas could easily repeat last year's 1st Round upset. I actually believe the 4 seed is lucky because Andover at 5 appears to be an easier out.
Be kind. Rewind.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:17 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:09 pm
Sparlimb wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:00 pm
And I wouldn't want to face Moorhead.
Wayzata is my landmine. St. Thomas could easily repeat last year's 1st Round upset. I actually believe the 4 seed is lucky because Andover at 5 appears to be an easier out.
Agreed. I think the 3 unseeded teams can beat any of the seeded teams, just not 3 of them in a row.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:20 pm

With how Moorhead has been playing lately, I'm not sure there's any one team that's necessarily an easy draw in the AA field. All of them are at least capable of causing problems. Moorhead, Wayzata, and STA as the unseeded squads, and Andover at #5. Your guess is as good as mine on how they order the top four. I'll say 1) South 2) MG 3) EP 4) HM, just because I think on-ice results need to matter at some point, but there are cases for plenty of other orders there.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:24 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:20 pm
With how Moorhead has been playing lately, I'm not sure there's any one team that's necessarily an easy draw in the AA field. All of them are at least capable of causing problems. Moorhead, Wayzata, and STA as the unseeded squads, and Andover at #5. Your guess is as good as mine on how they order the top four. I'll say 1) South 2) MG 3) EP 4) HM, just because I think on-ice results need to matter at some point, but there are cases for plenty of other orders there.
I agree with this top 4 order, think that’s how it has to go.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:38 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:17 pm
Agreed. I think the 3 unseeded teams can beat any of the seeded teams, just not 3 of them in a row.
I believe Wayzata could. They are playing very well down the stretch. Seeing Arizona win the basketball tournament when they finished 5th in the Pac-10 forever made me realize how you play in the final month means way more than how the season began. I should have learned this in 1986 when Burnsville repeated as champs after the slow start because some kids were busy winning the football championship that fall.

If you are younger, Carmelo Anthony's freshman year the Syracuse Orangemen were unranked in the second week of February before going on to cut down the nets. Likely? No. But I won't be the least bit surprised.
Be kind. Rewind.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:59 am

And just when will seedings come out?

Edit: This morning.
Hockey Is For Everyone

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:09 am

I am old school. I would much rather have the state tournament set years in advance by section rotation. So what if on certain years you get the state championship game in the quarter finals. To win you have to beat the best, so beat them in the quarters. It takes the ranking element out and gets rid of the conspiracy theories.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:28 am

Just saw Dave La Vaque
1. EP
2. Hill
3 South
4 MG
5 Andover

That 4/5 game is gonna be good one. Also hope that STA/Hill get matched up

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:30 am

1- EP
2- HM
3- LVS
4- MG
5- AND
Moorhead
WAY
STA

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:35 am

Usthockey13 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:28 am
Just saw Dave La Vaque
1. EP
2. Hill
3 South
4 MG
5 Andover

That 4/5 game is gonna be good one. Also hope that STA/Hill get matched up
Agree on St. T playing H-M.

Didn’t see that coming but I like it! They leaped EP (two years running Runner-Up) and H-M (defending champs) over two teams with fewer blemishes!!
Be kind. Rewind.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:37 am

Wayzata-Hill

Moorhead-South

STA-Ep

MG-AND

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:40 am

Usthockey13 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:37 am
Wayzata-Hill

Moorhead-South

STA-Ep

MG-AND
So the "real seedings" turn out to be ;)

1) LVS
2) EP
3) HM
4) MG
5) Andover
6) Wayzata
7) STA
8) Moorhead