2021 State Tournament

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mite-dad

Re: 2021 State Tournament

Post by Mite-dad » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:14 pm

If they seeded 1-8, they could have had consolation games and third place game at home rink of high seed.

jdh

Post by jdh » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:12 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:29 am
Agree, I think the original question was simply around whether or not there's a consolation bracket, which of course there is not this year due to the pandemic.

Let's face it, while the consolation bracket is a soft landing for the team, especially the seniors, there really isn't much interest in those games beyond the team and their family members. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, but the point being with all the things that have been "lost" this past year+, this one probably isn't that impactful.
There was a time, not sure when it ended, when they televised the Consolation, Third Place and Championship games in one session. Not sure when that ended, I’m thinking maybe the late sixties. Anybody remember that?

ROSEVILLEHOCKEYDAD

Post by ROSEVILLEHOCKEYDAD » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:18 pm

jdh wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:12 pm
InThePipes wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:29 am
Agree, I think the original question was simply around whether or not there's a consolation bracket, which of course there is not this year due to the pandemic.

Let's face it, while the consolation bracket is a soft landing for the team, especially the seniors, there really isn't much interest in those games beyond the team and their family members. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, but the point being with all the things that have been "lost" this past year+, this one probably isn't that impactful.
There was a time, not sure when it ended, when they televised the Consolation, Third Place and Championship games in one session. Not sure when that ended, I’m thinking maybe the late sixties. Anybody remember that?
That ended in the 80’s or early 90’s.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:31 pm

My recollection is that from at least the early 70s until 1982, only the championship series was broadcast. In 1983, the semifinals split between the afternoon & evening sessions. This was done to allow for more people to attend; the afternoon consolation round never sold out, while the evening semifinal session was always the toughest ticket. So in 1983, they started to broadcast all 11 games. This lasted until the two class era started, I believe.

I'm a bitty foggy, the 3rd place/consolation session may have been broadcast for a couple years before 1983.

There were two sessions on Saturday, consolation/3rd, then the final in the evening.

Someone even older than me could confirm that the semis had been split before the tournament was televised. Then became when TV became involved, the semis were both held Friday evening.

It blew my mind a bit that (in 1983) TV allowed the MShSL to play the consolation game in prime time on Friday evening. But the tournament was at its peak from the early 70s until the two class era began. It definitely had more attention in the single class era. Basketball fell off precipitously after it went to two classes, hockey has not had as bad a drop off. But in the 80s, Sections 1 (Burnsville/Apple Valley) & 3 (now section 4) and sections 5 (Bloomington) & 6 (Edina/Tonka) would fill the Met Center.
Hockey Is For Everyone

raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:12 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:47 am
May have been covered in another thread , apologize if it has been

For the quarterfinals, will the arena be cleared out after each game?

For the semi ‘s, increased to 600 tickets per school? Same question, will the arena be cleared out after each game
I've already ordered my janitor's uniform. :-$

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:27 am

Another highly placed source of mine reports that 3,000 will be allowed in on Saturday. Not sure about Friday or Thursday (for the female bracket).

That should be adequate for the Pioneers - STA final.
Hockey Is For Everyone

BP

Post by BP » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:09 am

Stang5280 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:43 pm
sterfry9 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:13 pm
who are the few kids to watch that will look levels above the other kids ala casey middlestadt etc...
In Class A…
Super-studs
Joey Pierce (HT)
Brody Lamb (DC)
Nick Sajevic and Damon Furuseth (Gentry)
Parker/Ausmus/Panzer (EGF)

Very Good
Dane Couture and Matt Filippi (LF)
Adam Brown and Brad Pinoniemi (Delano)
Adler Hoagland (NL)
Matt Donovan (DC)
Lund/Pionk/Hanson (HT)
Hall/Reim/Timmons (Gentry)

Very good list Stang - but I'd add Plante to the Super Studs list and Connor Brown of GA to the Very Good list.

FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:05 am

elliott70 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:40 pm
kpryan88 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:24 pm
elliott70 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:25 pm
Yes it is single elimination as it has always been.
😂😂😂 that’s funny, there has always been a consolation bracket and 3rd place game for as long as I can remember. I’ve been going to/watching the tourney since the mid-80’s. 😜
Yes single elimination with a consolation bracket.
Single elimination in the championship bracket.
You lose a SINGLE game and you are out of the championship.
And I have been watching since the 50s.
It is single elimination.
So let me get this straight.....if you loose one game you are done?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:23 am

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:05 am
elliott70 wrote:
kpryan88 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:24 pm

😂😂😂 that’s funny, there has always been a consolation bracket and 3rd place game for as long as I can remember. I’ve been going to/watching the tourney since the mid-80’s. 😜
Right.
Other such things are double elimination or pool play.
(or a modification as is the youth hockey regional events).IN essence you have three single elimination tournaments - championship win or done and move to the consolation tournament (and also the third place event).

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:25 am

From another source...

Single-elimination tournament:

A single-elimination tournament, also called a knockout, cup or sudden death tournament, is a type of elimination tournament where the loser of each match or bracket is immediately eliminated from winning the championship or first prize in the event. This does not always mean that the defeated competitor will not participate further in the tournament; in some such tournaments, consolation or "classification" contests are subsequently held among those already defeated to determine the awarding of lesser places, for example, a third place playoff.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:36 pm

From Twitter:

KSTPSports
@KSTPSports
11m

We hear that Hill-Murray boys hockey won't practice today, status for this week's state tourney is up in the air. A recent opponent has at least one COVID positive. The Pioneers are in talks with MSHSL, MDH about how to proceed. So far nobody on HM has experienced symptoms.

Oof, this would be terrible to have their season end like this, with an opponent's positive test.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:39 pm

BP wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:09 am
Stang5280 wrote:
sterfry9 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:13 pm
who are the few kids to watch that will look levels above the other kids ala casey middlestadt etc...
In Class A…
Super-studs
Joey Pierce (HT)
Brody Lamb (DC)

Very Good
Adler Hoagland (NL)
Matt Donovan (DC)
Lund/Pionk/Hanson (HT)

Very good list Stang - but I'd add Plante to the Super Studs list and Connor Brown of GA to the Very Good list.
Thanks BP. I just assumed Plante will not be playing, which unfortunately sounds like it will be the case. Brown is a good addition; I definitely considered him and he probably belongs, but I felt like I was already listing half of the Gentry team.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:50 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:36 pm
From Twitter:

KSTPSports
@KSTPSports
11m

We hear that Hill-Murray boys hockey won't practice today, status for this week's state tourney is up in the air. A recent opponent has at least one COVID positive. The Pioneers are in talks with MSHSL, MDH about how to proceed. So far nobody on HM has experienced symptoms.

Oof, this would be terrible to have their season end like this, with an opponent's positive test.
Fingers crossed...
This would be terrible.

BP

Post by BP » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:03 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:39 pm
BP wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:09 am
Stang5280 wrote:

In Class A…
Super-studs
Joey Pierce (HT)
Brody Lamb (DC)

Very Good
Adler Hoagland (NL)
Matt Donovan (DC)
Lund/Pionk/Hanson (HT)

Thanks BP. I just assumed Plante will not be playing, which unfortunately sounds like it will be the case. Brown is a good addition; I definitely considered him and he probably belongs, but I felt like I was already listing half of the Gentry team.
Plante is playing - I knew why you didn't list him - but he'll be in uniform tomorrow night.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:32 pm

InThePipes wrote:
From Twitter:

KSTPSports
@KSTPSports
11m

Thanks for sharing. This would be bad news! Hopefully not a disqualifying issue, but we should know shortly given that their scheduled game is early Wednesday.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:00 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:32 pm
InThePipes wrote:
From Twitter:

KSTPSports
@KSTPSports
11m

Thanks for sharing. This would be bad news! Hopefully not a disqualifying issue, but we should know shortly given that their scheduled game is early Wednesday.
Feel like this is the exact thing that cost Mankato East their "X" dreams. They were forced to play their JV guys for a section game.

Let's see what decision is made for this occurrence.

FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:26 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:23 am
FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

Right.
(or a modification as is the youth hockey regional events).IN essence you have three single elimination tournaments - championship win or done and move to the consolation tournament (and also the third place event).
So if you win your first game, loose the second game, you cant win the championship? That cant be right. :-k

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:54 pm

InYourFace09 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:00 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote:
InThePipes wrote:
From Twitter:

KSTPSports
@KSTPSports
11m

Feel like this is the exact thing that cost Mankato East their "X" dreams. They were forced to play their JV guys for a section game.

I wonder how our JV squad would fair against Wayzata at state :lol: Probably not good (although Hill's JV team is pretty darn good)

Should be an interesting next 24 hours. I'm assuming they won't be able to play and will need to forfeit. Which would be lame, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander and if that's the rule then it should be universally applied. Given that their last game was Wednesday 3/24...it would be 7 days since any last possible contact with this team having a positive case by the time Hill was scheduled to play Wayzata. This is assuming it's WB with the positive case.

hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:02 pm

Just saw a tweet saying it looks like Hermantown will be using the JV team against Dodge County in the state tourney due to covid stuff... tweet said it was awaiting a response from Hermantown coach. Anyone confirm or deny?
2015-2016 Regular Season Pick 'em Champion

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:19 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:54 pm
InYourFace09 wrote:
BlueLineSpecial wrote:

I wonder how our JV squad would fair against Wayzata at state :lol: Probably not good (although Hill's JV team is pretty darn good)

Should be an interesting next 24 hours. I'm assuming they won't be able to play and will need to forfeit. Which would be lame, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander and if that's the rule then it should be universally applied. Given that their last game was Wednesday 3/24...it would be 7 days since any last possible contact with this team having a positive case by the time Hill was scheduled to play Wayzata. This is assuming it's WB with the positive case.
It is WBL

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:39 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:19 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:

It is WBL
Stinkin Bears!

So what's the MSHSL rule for this? If Hill was exposed to Bears player(s) who later test positive for covid but Hill shows no symptoms and tests come back negative, what is the waiting/quarantine period? It's hard to follow on their website, but it seems to imply 14 days but it can be reduced given certain circumstances? IDK.

Now this stuff with Hermantown potentially??? Oof.

InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:46 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:39 pm
InThePipes wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:19 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote:

It is WBL
Stinkin Bears!

So what's the MSHSL rule for this? If Hill was exposed to Bears player(s) who later test positive for covid but Hill shows no symptoms and tests come back negative, what is the waiting/quarantine period? It's hard to follow on their website, but it seems to imply 14 days but it can be reduced given certain circumstances? IDK.

Now this stuff with Hermantown potentially??? Oof.
Pretty straightforward, MSHSL doesn't care about symptoms, if exposed have to sit out. Lavaque just confirmed on twitter Hermantown has players in quarantine for tomorrows game.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:42 pm

Of course its water under the bridge now, but Hermantown could have sat some of their varsity players for section play, and had some JV play up. Probably could have had the JV play the entire section tournament.
Hockey Is For Everyone

kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:00 pm

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:26 pm
elliott70 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:23 am
FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:

Right.
So if you win your first game, loose the second game, you cant win the championship? That cant be right. :-k
Ok smart alecs. I get it. I asked the question wrong. I run a pool for the tourney and I was trying to determine if I needed to include the consolation bracket and 3rd place game. Simple answer would have been no, but now we have digressed into the exact definition of single elimination. I will be sure to contact the grammar police before my next post. 😜

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:16 pm

Don’t worry. We will be there.
We will be following every post.

Forget it.
None of us know all and learn something new often.

Legitimate question.

But the ‘bored’ likes to tear each other up on occasion.
Lucky the shady bunch crew is not around.
Slap shooter would have had a 4 paragraph poem about
‘sin-gel’ elim.