Honor seedings and bracket integrity

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SpreadOut!

Honor seedings and bracket integrity

Post by SpreadOut! » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:33 pm

MSHSL should honor seedings they oversee for tourney. Instead of unseeded team (Wayzata) getting bye to semifinals, they should give bye to #1 seed (EP) and have STA and Wayzata (other two unseeded teams) play seeded MG and Andover. This is common sense, though, so MSHSL won’t do it.

Stang5280

Re: Honor seedings and bracket integrity

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:45 pm

No. “Bracket integrity” means that Wayzata advances based on the predetermined matchups. End of discussion.

SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:01 pm

I disagree. I view bracket integrity as honoring a commitment to quarterfinal matchups that allow for a greater likelihood of the four best teams remaining in the tourney squaring off in Friday night’s semifinals. Wayzata getting a bye straight to the semifinals throws that out the window. That’s not a knock against Wayzata but an acknowledgement that under no situation would they be one of the top for seeds among the sevens teams left in the tourney.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:07 pm

Wayzata doesn't get a bye. Technically, they won via a 1-0 forfeit. So they advance to face the other winner in their bracket just as they would had they played the game.

https://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/show/30839345

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:17 pm

I hear what you are saying but it’s basically a bye by another name in my eyes. With the first game not being until 1 pm now tomorrow there is time to reconfigure the games given Hill’s exit. I am not, however, stupid enough to believe the MSHSL will do anything of the sort given their inflexibility, overall lack of common sense and demonstrated history of making bad decisions on, well, everything.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:34 pm

SpreadOut! wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:17 pm
I hear what you are saying but it’s basically a bye by another name in my eyes. With the first game not being until 1 pm now tomorrow there is time to reconfigure the games given Hill’s exit. I am not, however, stupid enough to believe the MSHSL will do anything of the sort given their inflexibility, overall lack of common sense and demonstrated history of making bad decisions on, well, everything.
Your idea was bad and you should feel bad.

The field was set and there was a no contest - Wayzata advances.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:48 pm

SpreadOut! wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:33 pm
Instead of unseeded team (Wayzata) getting bye to semifinals, they should give bye to #1 seed (EP) and have STA and Wayzata (other two unseeded teams) play seeded MG and Andover.
MSHSL way too beholden to the bookmakers. They'd pull their support right quick.
Be kind. Rewind.

SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:49 pm

thestickler07 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:34 pm
SpreadOut! wrote:

I “should feel bad”...? Ah, okay?

defense

Post by defense » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:54 pm

SpreadOut! wrote:
It's not a bye. One team could show up, other couldn't.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:21 am

I did see it brought up in the NCAA tournament also. With North Dakota being the 1 seed, someone mentioned that they should receive the bye. I can see the point- just throwing it out there that NCAA didn’t change the brackets around either to accommodate the higher seed.

I’m not saying they should or shouldn’t have. It is a valid conversation though.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:34 am

O-townClown wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:48 pm
SpreadOut! wrote:
Instead of unseeded team (Wayzata) getting bye to semifinals, they should give bye to #1 seed (EP) and have STA and Wayzata (other two unseeded teams) play seeded MG and Andover.
MSHSL way too beholden to the bookmakers. They'd pull their support right quick.
With all due respect, that is utter nonsense.
Hockey Is For Everyone

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:40 am

I think any team is entitled to know when it will be playing at least 24 hours before game time. You really think that at 9pm they should change the schedule for a 1pm game? Uh, no.

And don't give me any nonsense about "Well if you lose the late semi you're playing for 3rd place less than 24 hours later". That is completely different, people understand that's the way it works.
Hockey Is For Everyone

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:23 am

thestickler07 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:34 pm
SpreadOut! wrote:

Actually it’s a great idea and makes perfect sense but since you don’t agree with it we’ll take your side and feel bad for it. Lol. I feel bad for the people in your life if you think that everyone who doesn’t agree with you should feel bad.

lakescountrylife

Post by lakescountrylife » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:56 am

SpreadOut! wrote:
MSHSL should honor seedings they oversee for tourney. Instead of unseeded team (Wayzata) getting bye to semifinals, they should give bye to #1 seed (EP) and have STA and Wayzata (other two unseeded teams) play seeded MG and Andover. This is common sense, though, so MSHSL won’t do it.
They didn't do that in sectional play so it follows they aren't going to do it at state. At least the MSHSL is being consistent.

Cookster

Post by Cookster » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:13 am

In an ideal world situation, the idea has merit and fundamentally is a good idea.

However, for practical reasons, it just cannot be done. Once you set up the brackets, you have teams start preparing for opponents, everyone makes plans, etc, and to change them at the last minute makes it tough for all parties involved.

Unfortunately, there is no one magic formula to make everyone happy. Someone will benefit, someone won't and we move on.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:44 am

lakescountrylife wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:56 am
SpreadOut! wrote:
They didn't do that in sectional play so it follows they aren't going to do it at state. At least the MSHSL is being consistent.

Actually, when Duluth East was knocked out due to Covid, Section 7AA changed the North bracket and, instead of Cloquet moving on to the semifinal against the Grand Rapids/Duluth Marshall winner, they chose to make Cloquet play Marshall and gave Grand Rapids the “bye” to the semifinal. What people sometimes don’t understand is that the individual sections have basically carte blanche in how they choose to run their tourneys.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:20 pm

East had removed themselves quite awhile before sections which made changes easier I would guess.

Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:32 am

Wise Old Man wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:44 am
lakescountrylife wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:56 am
SpreadOut! wrote:

Actually, when Duluth East was knocked out due to Covid, Section 7AA changed the North bracket and, instead of Cloquet moving on to the semifinal against the Grand Rapids/Duluth Marshall winner, they chose to make Cloquet play Marshall and gave Grand Rapids the “bye” to the semifinal. What people sometimes don’t understand is that the individual sections have basically carte blanche in how they choose to run their tourneys.
I believe they knew East was out BEFORE the final seeds came out so they didnt actually change anything: they just seeded Marshall the 3rd seed in the north. From what Ive seen, once brackets have actually been finalized, there have been no reseeding if a team drops out.