BHS Hockey Podcast: Season Finale

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

YouthHockeyHub

BHS Hockey Podcast: Season Finale

Post by YouthHockeyHub » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:55 pm

Maybe our most packed show we've ever done.

We address just about everything that happened over the last week.

Chapters:

Chapter 1 – Tourney Sights & Sounds/Hill-Murray 0-28:28
Chapter 2 – Class A Tourney/Joe Cullen INTERVIEW 28:28-43:05
Chapter 3 – Class AA Tourney/Lee Smith INTERVIEW 43:05-1:06:34
Chapter 4 – Coaching Changes/Duluth East 1:06:34-1:29:02
Chapter 5 – Whose Coming Back and Whose Going 1:29:02-1:58:04
Chapter 6 – 2021 Section Realignment 1:58:04-2:06:27
Chapter 7 – Way to Early Top 10s 2:06:27 to end

Link: https://bit.ly/39HLGaa

Enjoy!

karl(east)

Re: BHS Hockey Podcast: Season Finale

Post by karl(east) » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:24 pm

One of the most fun shows we've ever done, despite the rather epic length. No shortage of fun takes and I'd encourage listeners to take it in chunks and get through all the fun stuff, or at least the stuff you're interested in!

As always, it was a blast, even if it looked a bit different. Thanks for all the support--even as the shows get longer our listenership continues to spike and it's gratifying to see that.

Turns out it's pretty hard to pay attention to a forum when one is also trying to live-Tweet, getting livestreamed on the YHH tailgate, and also, you know, trying to pay some attention to the hockey games. I'll be sure to chime in here a bit over the coming days where appropriate, and I'll have the annual essay at some point, too.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 pm

Bam! That was indeed a bombshell at the top of the AA rankings (I won’t spoil it). I thought they were more senior heavy, but it was mainly just the top two scorers and goalie.

I have a feeling Little Falls will drop off quite a bit, as they graduated a ton and relied so much on goaltending. Class A is always a crapshoot, and I’d like to be wrong.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:18 pm

One thing that stood out to me was there was never any mention, that I heard at least, to the fact that it was the Minnesota Department of Health’s guidance that caused all this chaos in the first place.

The MDH guidance says media members count towards the totals allocated. The MDH guidance says kids playing sports should be tested every two weeks. The MDH guidance kept Hermantown and Hill-Murray out of the tournament for their first games.

I also think you are completely wrong about schools losing trust in the MSHSL because they were rigid in their stance towards Hill-Murray. The MSHSL was consistent across all sports, there would have a far greater loss in trust had the MSHSL changed their stance solely for Hill-Murray.....you could have lawsuits, Title IX being just the most relevant.

The MSHSL makes an easy target, too often because of what they themselves do. However, to not acknowledge that in some circumstances their hands were tied by the MDH is myopic.

Not calling Lechner out as the AD on what happened with the girls program at Hill is journalistic malpractice. Yet you complain you were not allowed at the boys tournament as journalists. Letting multiple players with COVID symptoms continue to play while blaming WBL is hypocritical at the very least. No one called him out on that. Yet you say you are journalists. You are propagandists.

(I hate games where the music is so loud after the whistle I can’t talk to the people around me)
Last edited by goldy313 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:22 pm

I like the no music between whistles at the tourney. It weirdly adds to the tension for me. Kind of like the build up before a big golf shot or tennis point.

Thanks for the great work you all do. In a season that lacked normalcy, it was great to find some by listening to you every Sunday.

Here's hoping you're wrong about Clark and Fechko leaving Edina :D .

farmtown55

Post by farmtown55 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:18 pm

Absolutely no way Gentry is #1 in AA next year. That is pure shock talk for viewership. I can see Fetchko leaving but unless Clark gets a spot on the NTDP it’s a mistake. Ludtke and Dahms will be back for LVS and the will again be a top 5 team.
Last edited by farmtown55 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:07 am

Correction : Lou turned 80 already 🎂, and gets better every year !🤣

Great comment , well stated by Tony to Joe Cullen : “you’re not bringing in big names, you’re bringing in good kids and turning them into big names “

Agree : MG EP semi most exciting Trny game since EP Deast 2011 final , before that Tonka HM 2010 semi. Lee Smith : “turned out to be a war”. Lee going thru all his tourney finals since 2009, epic!

Randolph segment: what a 30 year run .Respect earned .Wishing nothing but the best regardless what happens .

All for tonite

evegoe

Post by evegoe » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:41 pm

Always love the Comings/Goings -- thanks for labelling the chapters, here are the names:

Oliver Moore TG
Austin Burnevik TG
Gracyn Sawchyn SSM
Will Whitelaw SSM
Jayson Shaugabay Warroad
Beckett Hendrickson - Minnetonka
Ty Hanson Hermantown
Drew Stewart BSM
Danny Nelson MG
Ashton Dahms LS

The size and role option discussion should be relevant for each decisions for USNTDP. Not a great place to go be a fourth line or third pair player if you currently have a decent home to play and be a go to player.

Trey Ausmus EGF
Jackson Blake EP
Alex Bump PL
Thor Byfuglien Roseau
Jimmy Clark Edina
AJ Carls Centennial
Ben Dardis Mahtomedi
Trey Fechko Edina
Drew Fisher Cretin
Jake Fisher Cretin
Dylan Godbout HM
Barrett Hall Gentry
Reed Kluender SSP
Brody Lamb Dodge
Tanner Ludtke LS
Adam Marshall BSM
Connor McClure Denfeld
Gavin O'Connell Wayzata
Zam Plante Hermantown
Sam Rice PL
Tristan Sarsland BSM
Will Schumacher PL
Jake Sondreal Cretin
Max Strand Roseau
Gavyn Thoreson Andover
Simon Houge Cretin

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:22 pm

farmtown55 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:18 pm
Absolutely no way Gentry is #1 in AA next year. That is pure shock talk for viewership. I can see Fetchko leaving but unless Clark gets a spot on the NTDP it’s a mistake. Ludtke and Dahms will be back for LVS and the will again be a top 5 team.
Gentry at #1 is ridiculous, they're borderline top 10 IMO.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:28 pm

Gentry will have to earn its place into /to stay in that top ten group. Nice core of returnees . Will be interested to see their schedule .

Cookster

Post by Cookster » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:55 am

I thought I read that Fetcho was going to a team in BC next year.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:43 am

Cookster wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:55 am
I thought I read that Fetcho was going to a team in BC next year.
Coquitlam Express did put out a press release a couple months back.
Be kind. Rewind.

YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:17 pm

Great catch Johnny.

Here is the release.

https://www.coquitlamexpress.ca/express ... 022-season

Fechko and Clark would be a lethal combo if they both stayed.