HS Hockey Conn Smythe

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

HS Hockey Conn Smythe

Post by karl(east) » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:26 pm

Based on a discussion we had on our season finale podcast, I figured I'd start a thread on potential winners of a playoff-specific high school hockey award. (Danny has graciously suggested we name this the Pat White Memorial Award, though at last check Pat was still alive and kicking.) In honor of Pat White, here's my list dating back to his senior year. I'm going for just one single winner from both classes each year with no regard for grade. Disagreements? Ideas from further back? Different ways to do this?

2021: Carter Batchelder
2020: Charlie Strobel (with apologies to Ben Dardis)
2019: Donte Lawson
2018: Bobby Brink
2017: Dylan Samberg
2016: Hank Sorensen
2015: Dixon Bowen
2014: Tyler Nanne
2013: Tommy Novak
2012: Grant Besse
2011: Kyle Rau
2010: Tyson Fulton
2009: Nick Leddy
2008: Joe Philippi
2007: Patrick White

O-townClown

Re: HS Hockey Conn Smythe

Post by O-townClown » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:52 pm

Love it! Looks great.
Be kind. Rewind.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:21 am

karl(east) wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:26 pm
Based on a discussion we had on our season finale podcast, I figured I'd start a thread on potential winners of a playoff-specific high school hockey award. (Danny has graciously suggested we name this the Pat White Memorial Award, though at last check Pat was still alive and kicking.) In honor of Pat White, here's my list dating back to his senior year. I'm going for just one single winner from both classes each year with no regard for grade. Disagreements? Ideas from further back? Different ways to do this?

2021: Carter Batchelder
2020: Charlie Strobel (with apologies to Ben Dardis)
2019: Donte Lawson
2018: Bobby Brink
2017: Dylan Samberg
2016: Hank Sorensen
2015: Dixon Bowen
2014: Tyler Nanne
2013: Tommy Novak
2012: Grant Besse
2011: Kyle Rau
2010: Tyson Fulton
2009: Nick Leddy
2008: Joe Philippi
2007: Patrick White

Karl, great idea! My only disagreement is your selection for this year. I’d actually give it to Blake of EP. I think his playmaking and rink/hockey sense is amazing for his age and, he does so many of the little things that allow a play to initially develop that don’t even necessarily result in an assist or get noticed at all. Not just in his attacking zone but, even in the neutral and defensive zone. Yet, he’s obviously directly involved in most of that lines’ goals. Whether assisting or actually scoring. Just look at the play he made on the OT goal on Friday as one example. Unfortunately, I fear that this was the last time we’ll see him at the state tourney as he’ll likely either be in the USHL or the NTDP next season.

Cookster

Post by Cookster » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:11 am

Wise -- Fully agree with your sentiment if we are looking at any grade level. If this list is made of only seniors, it makes sense for Batchelder. Blake was the missing ingredient that changed EP from a really good team to an Elite team. They did not lose when he was healthy and playing. He is a fun player to watch, and it helped that those Batch and Holt have played together with Blake long enough to know what he does. Blake has great hands and great vision -- and has finally put on a few inches. Probably needs a few healthy lbs before he plays for UND in a year. If he does not return for his senior year, what a way to go out. EP scores 14 goals in the tourney, he has 11 pts including the game-winner.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:16 am

Cookster wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:11 am
Wise -- Fully agree with your sentiment if we are looking at any grade level. If this list is made of only seniors, it makes sense for Batchelder. Blake was the missing ingredient that changed EP from a really good team to an Elite team. They did not lose when he was healthy and playing. He is a fun player to watch, and it helped that those Batch and Holt have played together with Blake long enough to know what he does. Blake has great hands and great vision -- and has finally put on a few inches. Probably needs a few healthy lbs before he plays for UND in a year. If he does not return for his senior year, what a way to go out. EP scores 14 goals in the tourney, he has 11 pts including the game-winner.
I thought Karl said his intention was for the award to be handed out to the playoff "MVP" regardless of class or grade? Regardless, Batchelder is certainly deserving as well.

jdh

Post by jdh » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:53 am

Garret Worth, Duluth East, runner up to Tonka, 2018.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:03 pm

No doubt Blake was the best player on this Eden Prairie team, and could be deserving of this award as well. I leaned toward Batch because of his hat trick and game-winner in the semifinal, which I thought was the game of the Tourney, and because he kept going in the title game even when clearly hurt.

And jdh, Garrett Worth will forever have a spot in my heart for his performance in 2018 (and in years prior), but I leaned toward Brink because of how complete his performance was in those playoffs, including the final where East's top line couldn't quite break through, despite several great chances.