MH redistricting

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

MH redistricting

Post by elliott70 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:48 am

Minnesota Hockey District Directors are looking at redistricting.
Should their process be influenced at all by the MSHSL sections?

InThePipes

Re: MH redistricting

Post by InThePipes » Thu May 06, 2021 7:52 am

I don't think that needs to be a strong consideration, if some of it works out naturally that way I don't see a reason to be opposed, but I think it becomes fairly complicated especially in some areas with a mix of metro/rural and large and small associations.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:58 am

Any suggestions for change? especially in the metro area?

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu May 06, 2021 9:55 am

elliott70 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:48 am
Minnesota Hockey District Directors are looking at redistricting.
Should their process be influenced at all by the MSHSL sections?
I don't think so because you could adjust districts to mimic HS sections and then those will change.
Be kind. Rewind.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu May 06, 2021 10:43 am

elliott70 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:58 am
There probably isn't any significantly better way, there are always trade-offs, with a perceived benefit there is probably a notable drawback that's associated with that change.

I think my primary request would be to allow teams to have a bit more schedule flexibility. Some district schedules are packed with 18-20+ games with several/many of those games against an opponent that is likely to result in a non-competitive contest. I'd recommend that you think about scaling those district schedules back a bit, allow teams more of an opportunity to create their own schedule (add a tournament or a handful of scrimmages) that would hopefully create more competitive experiences for both teams.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:48 am

InThePipes wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:43 am
elliott70 wrote:
There probably isn't any significantly better way, there are always trade-offs, with a perceived benefit there is probably a notable drawback that's associated with that change.

I think my primary request would be to allow teams to have a bit more schedule flexibility. Some district schedules are packed with 18-20+ games with several/many of those games against an opponent that is likely to result in a non-competitive contest. I'd recommend that you think about scaling those district schedules back a bit, allow teams more of an opportunity to create their own schedule (add a tournament or a handful of scrimmages) that would hopefully create more competitive experiences for both teams.
Each district is responsible on how they handle district play.
The farther from the center of the world (metro) you get the more flexibility in scheduling district games

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu May 06, 2021 11:01 am

elliott70 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:48 am
InThePipes wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:43 am
elliott70 wrote:

Each district is responsible on how they handle district play.
The farther from the center of the world (metro) you get the more flexibility in scheduling district games
Right, just a conversation point to hopefully improve the experience for everyone instead of trying to hammer the "everyone must play everyone 2-3X" mentality in some metro districts even when you know the games won't be within 7-8 goals. Part of this is related to team formation decisions in these associations, so I acknowledge they are interrelated.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Thu May 06, 2021 1:13 pm

They probably wouldn’t be happy with the move, but Rogers to 5 would make sense geographically and help boost its strength after Delano moved to 3.