A Rankings for 12/12/21

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Stang5280

Re: A Rankings for 12/12/21

Post by Stang5280 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:36 pm
east hockey wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:55 am
Your top four are an exact match for PageStat. We'll see how it looks when I publish the first ratings on Sunday.

Lee
This is Christmas come early news! I will be holding the Class A Rankings for 12/17/21 until this is published. PageStat is the best ranking to compare with when looking at computer based rankings and could help with the mess that is Class A Hockey after the Top 10. Also, will help withe Section by Section Breakdowns. I cant wait for this!

I hope you will let us know Lee when it is published I have spent the last three sundays refreshing the page in hopes of seeing this! Thanks for news and nice work Elliott on nailing the Top Four! Those Four would be a fun State SemiFinal Friday on March Afteroon in few months.
One thing to bear in mind is that PageStat, as is the case with most computer models, is more of a predictive metric than measuring past “accomplishments” per se (feel free to correct me if that is wrong, Lee). Teams with a strong strength of schedule are given a bump, and teams that romp through a weaker schedule will be lower in the rankings. So while PageStat is a wonderful tool, you do have to make some judgment calls in human rankings. I’m sure you already realize this, but it’s just a different philosophy in ranking teams.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Stang5280 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:42 pm
Your top four are an exact match for PageStat. We'll see how it looks when I publish the first ratings on Sunday.

Lee
This is Christmas come early news! I will be holding the Class A Rankings for 12/17/21 until this is published. PageStat is the best ranking to compare with when looking at computer based rankings and could help with the mess that is Class A Hockey after the Top 10. Also, will help withe Section by Section Breakdowns. I cant wait for this!

I hope you will let us know Lee when it is published I have spent the last three sundays refreshing the page in hopes of seeing this! Thanks for news and nice work Elliott on nailing the Top Four! Those Four would be a fun State SemiFinal Friday on March Afteroon in few months.
One thing to bear in mind is that PageStat, as is the case with most computer models, is more of a predictive metric than measuring past “accomplishments” per se (feel free to correct me if that is wrong, Lee). Teams with a strong strength of schedule are given a bump, and teams that romp through a weaker schedule will be lower in the rankings. So while PageStat is a wonderful tool, you do have to make some judgment calls in human rankings. I’m sure you already realize this, but it’s just a different philosophy in ranking teams.
The best, most accurate system is to listen to
ELLIOTT70

and do the opposite.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:15 pm The best, most accurate system is to listen to
ELLIOTT70

and do the opposite.
Hey, at least your top four are unimpeachable! My eyes must be deteriorating fast in my older years since I almost missed your disclaimer. Ranking Class A teams this season is like repeatedly banging your head against the wall.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Stang5280 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:34 pm
elliott70 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:15 pm The best, most accurate system is to listen to
ELLIOTT70

and do the opposite.
Hey, at least your top four are unimpeachable! My eyes must be deteriorating fast in my older years since I almost missed your disclaimer. Ranking Class A teams this season is like repeatedly banging your head against the wall.
I use darts.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Lee

Speaking of.. While the inbalance at the top remains if things would hold out... BIG IF would the below be the deepest field ever for a Class A Tournament. Sections 1A, 2A, 4A, 5A, 6A, 7A, 8A could all have a TOP 10 Representative. Imagine the Wednesday Below ...

#2- Mahtomedi (4A) vs Unseeded Northfield (1A)- Last time these two met in the State Quarters Northfeild ousted them then in Section 4A after Section realignment they took the Zephyrs to the brink in Double OT. They seem to give Mahtomedi fits.

#3 Warroad (8A) vs. Unseeded Fergus Falls (6A)- We will get a preview of this game in January but this one would be a fun Matchup!

#1 Hermantown (7A) vs. Unseeded Luverne (3A)- Luverne is stretch here but they have made it state twice and both times played the Hawks toe-to-toe so be a fun see that match up with Hermantown likely to rout anyone out of 3A maybe the Luverne matchup could produce a good match up like it has the last two times in St Paul.

#4 Delano (2A) vs. #5 Little Falls (5A)- Rematch of last years night cap. Can Delano break their own WBL State Quarter Curse or will the Flyers repeat on last years results...

Again dumb to even speculate but that would be some fun Tourney Headlines..
Sunday morning, hopefully before noon.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Lee

While PageStat can be used as a predictive model (which is what I do when it predicts Section tournament games) the ratings are based solely on what has already happened. The only judgement I apply is when determining what the goal differential cap is, and even this part is mostly subjective--it's based on how PageStat has done predicting section tournament games over the past 21 seasons. There is a lot more to this, to be sure, which is why I'm working on more of a technical/geek explanation of how it works, why it works and what the problems are (with any computerized rating system)

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Friday Night (12/17/21) Class A Recap-

Games of the Night-
#4 Fergus Falls 6 Rochester Century 2

The Otters opened up their southern swing surprisingly falling behind Century 2-0 after 1 period but they broke out of their mini funk with 6 unanswered goals led by Carter Thielke, Cole Zierden, and Isaac Johnson’s 2 goal efforts they cruised to Friday night win.

#11 Northern Lakes 5 Park Rapids 2
Northern Lakes had to rebound fast for losing to Detroit Lakes on Thursday night as they took on Park Rapids last night. The Lightning led by Tyler Seeling’s 2 goals and Taylor Berg’s 4 assists were able to come away with a 5-2 win.

Slow night in Class A overall.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

east hockey wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:00 pm

While PageStat can be used as a predictive model (which is what I do when it predicts Section tournament games) the ratings are based solely on what has already happened. The only judgement I apply is when determining what the goal differential cap is, and even this part is mostly subjective--it's based on how PageStat has done predicting section tournament games over the past 21 seasons. There is a lot more to this, to be sure, which is why I'm working on more of a technical/geek explanation of how it works, why it works and what the problems are (with any computerized rating system)

Lee
Thanks Lee, and that makes sense now that I think about it. Unlike say, basketball or football, the advanced metrics like points per position are limited in hockey, particularly at the high school level. Your inputs basically boil down to win/loss, margin of victory/defeat, and strength of opponent (and perhaps recency of results). Obviously there are various computations involving the weight of those factors, but the inputs are all based on prior results.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Stang5280 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Lee
Thanks Lee, and that makes sense now that I think about it. Unlike say, basketball or football, the advanced metrics like points per position are limited in hockey, particularly at the high school level. Your inputs basically boil down to win/loss, margin of victory/defeat, and strength of opponent (and perhaps recency of results). Obviously there are various computations involving the weight of those factors, but the inputs are all based on prior results.
I should hire you to be my ghost writer--you boil down into one paragraph what usually takes me a page.

Oh, no pay to be on my staff, by the way. :mrgreen:

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

east hockey wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:41 pm
Stang5280 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Lee
I should hire you to be my ghost writer--you boil down into one paragraph what usually takes me a page.

Oh, no pay to be on my staff, by the way. :mrgreen:

Lee
What fun is it to have an algorithm that can be summed up succinctly?!

Also, I charge by the word so I would be padding that word count… which would raise my price to (counts on fingers), uh, zero dollars :lol:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Well Lee would be getting his ‘ money’s worth’.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:54 pm Well Lee would be getting his ‘ money’s worth’.
Probably, but I'd need to hire an accountant to be sure. Again, no pay :mrgreen:

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006