Need help compiling MN Boys JV Hockey scores

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

LSQRANK

Need help compiling MN Boys JV Hockey scores

Post by LSQRANK »

Is there a website or link to a Hockey Hub-like database that has the current season 2021-2022 Boys MN JV hockey scores?

I would like to be able to include the MN JV teams in this year's North American (Boys HS Hockey) Adjustment,
but my problem is finding a comprehensive source for the data, short of contacting the various HS program managers directly.

Any help would be much appreciated. You decide to contribute, What I need is the following format:
YYYY MM DD Team1 Team2 S1 S2

One could make a simple text file with 7 tokens per line of text, or
create an excel spreadsheet (.xslx) file with 7 columns.

Thanks in advance, Doc
arcticpurple

Re: Need help compiling MN Boys JV Hockey scores

Post by arcticpurple »

Kudos to you....it's a noble cause but unfortunately MSHSL and all the schools pay no attention to JV. It's sad really and one of the reasons why more and more kids are pursuing opportunities outside MN hockey.
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

arcticpurple wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:54 am Kudos to you....it's a noble cause but unfortunately MSHSL and all the schools pay no attention to JV. It's sad really and one of the reasons why more and more kids are pursuing opportunities outside MN hockey.
I'm sure this is far from a novel thought, but why can't there be playoffs and a state tournament at the JV level? Is it just logistics? Money?
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:37 am
arcticpurple wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:54 am Kudos to you....it's a noble cause but unfortunately MSHSL and all the schools pay no attention to JV. It's sad really and one of the reasons why more and more kids are pursuing opportunities outside MN hockey.
I'm sure this is far from a novel thought, but why can't there be playoffs and a state tournament at the JV level? Is it just logistics? Money?
I doubt it's money or logistics, given that I believe MN has state tournaments for the various levels of junior golds, bantams and peewees. Now I don't think those are endorsed or sponsored by the MSHSL in any way, so I get that it might be money or logistics for them, but clearly there's some interest in year-end tournaments for groups other than varsity.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Where do you draw the line on who can and can't play in a JV State Tournament? Number of varsity games? Grade of the player? I mean, if you have no rules in place and you have a stud 10th grader that has played varsity all year, his varsity season is done, is he eligible for the JV tournament? Is a junior goalie who only saw minimal games at the varsity level, but clearly superior to the goalie that played JV all year eligible?

A varsity tournament is easy to run, every school throws their best players, for the most part, onto the ice. I could see a lot of unscrupulous activity in a JV tournament.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

BSUBeaver wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:27 pm Where do you draw the line on who can and can't play in a JV State Tournament? Number of varsity games? Grade of the player? I mean, if you have no rules in place and you have a stud 10th grader that has played varsity all year, his varsity season is done, is he eligible for the JV tournament? Is a junior goalie who only saw minimal games at the varsity level, but clearly superior to the goalie that played JV all year eligible?

A varsity tournament is easy to run, every school throws their best players, for the most part, onto the ice. I could see a lot of unscrupulous activity in a JV tournament.
I think that could be easily solved with a simple rule that says players are only eligible for the JV state tourney if they played/suited up for 75% of JV games that year. But yeah, there could be some ambiguity around participation in a JV tourney that current age limit junior gold, bantam and peewee state tourneys don't necessarily have to contend with.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

It actually wouldn’t be complicated at all. At the end of the regular season coaches must submit playoff rosters and if you’re not on it then your season is done. It’s always been this way and still is today. If you don’t make the varsity playoff roster you go the to jv playoff roster and there are no changes allowed after your last regular season game. I have yet to hear of a AA Bantam or Pee Wee player going down and playing on their A or B team because they have a shot at state. Maybe that does happen?
arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple »

BSUBeaver wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:27 pm Where do you draw the line on who can and can't play in a JV State Tournament? Number of varsity games? Grade of the player? I mean, if you have no rules in place and you have a stud 10th grader that has played varsity all year, his varsity season is done, is he eligible for the JV tournament? Is a junior goalie who only saw minimal games at the varsity level, but clearly superior to the goalie that played JV all year eligible?

No need to complicate it.... there's a JV Lacrosse State Tourney, hosted by GNLL. It was fun and competitive and a great way for the kids to end the season. There will always be people bending the rules but it seems like only the parents care about that.The kids just want to play.

Heck most schools don't even list their JV players on their website. MN Hockey Hub used to pay a some attention to JV but that seems to have passed. In a sport known for late bloomers, it's sort of sad that we put more resources to JV and treat it like development opportunity. Kids would probably be better off playing Junior Gold.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

Looks like BSM does a really nice job with stats for their JV team

https://www.bsmhockey.com/page/show/153 ... statistics
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

StanleyCup55 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:36 pm It actually wouldn’t be complicated at all. At the end of the regular season coaches must submit playoff rosters and if you’re not on it then your season is done. It’s always been this way and still is today. If you don’t make the varsity playoff roster you go the to jv playoff roster and there are no changes allowed after your last regular season game. I have yet to hear of a AA Bantam or Pee Wee player going down and playing on their A or B team because they have a shot at state. Maybe that does happen?
Bantam and other youth team rosters are set on December 31.
It is very difficult to change after that.
So, no, youth players do not move down at year end.
arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple »

bardown27 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:48 am Looks like BSM does a really nice job with stats for their JV team

https://www.bsmhockey.com/page/show/153 ... statistics
Metro West actually does a pretty good job with JV rosters... 70% of the schools have JV roster. Best I've seen for a conference.
MetroWest.jpeg
MetroWest.jpeg (68.8 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
LSQRANK

Post by LSQRANK »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:37 am
I know that Illinois (primarily GreaterChicago land) has an extensive JV program and state JV play-offs, etc.