Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WarmUpTheBus
Posts: 717
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:17 pm

The MSHSL website shows the finals at Braemer and BIG respectively. In the last several years Mariucci (3M) has been the host for both. Is this a permanent change or is Mariucci unavailable? Thanks.

Sparlimb
Posts: 2264
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by Sparlimb » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:54 am

I thought someone had said earlier this year they bailed on Mariucci because the crowds had been so small. I was there plenty of times where it was a 40 minute wait in 10 degree weather to get a ticket. But the last few times I went there were very small crowds. So I'd guess this is a permanent change.

StanleyCup55
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:36 am

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by StanleyCup55 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:55 am

This was discussed in another thread recently and it was determined that no one knows why for sure or if it’s a permanent change or just this year. Covid probably has a lot to do with it. Teams played less games this year as well than usual. I expect things to get back to normal once Covid pandemic is done but that may not be for a few more years so no one really knows what’s going to happen.

elliott70
Posts: 14611
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by elliott70 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:47 am

StanleyCup55 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:55 am
This was discussed in another thread recently and it was determined that no one knows why for sure or if it’s a permanent change or just this year. Covid probably has a lot to do with it. Teams played less games this year as well than usual. I expect things to get back to normal once Covid pandemic is done but that may not be for a few more years so no one really knows what’s going to happen.
For the most part teams have scheduled 25 games (the max) there are some that may not get them all in due to weather, illness or covid.

WarmUpTheBus
Posts: 717
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:58 am

Unfortunately the new format has both games at 7PM on March 2rd at the respective arenas.. I will miss the 2-for-1 Wednesday night extravaganza at Mariucci. :(

ryguyMN
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:08 pm
Location: Western WI

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by ryguyMN » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:38 pm

I already paid for the MNHockey 2AA playoff package, so my plan is to watch that live and catch the 6AA final on delay afterwards and avoid any social media/Internet HS hockey content until I get through both games.
Ryan

ThatMNHockeyGuy62
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:55 pm

Most section 2AA coaches did not like the Olympic sheet for section finals. Coupled with dropping attendance for a more expensive venue, I think the switch to Braemar was inevitable.

WestMetro
Posts: 3625
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by WestMetro » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:22 pm

i’ve maintained the 35W construction both north and south the last 5 years drastically affected Mariucci attendance for both gophers and other events like HS sections . Not the only reason, but part of it .

Now that is done, and there is also lighter rush hour traffic. Things seem to be coming back for Gophers and i think that is at least a part of the equation .

Too late for HS sections though . For all the reasons discussed in this thread

ryguyMN
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:08 pm
Location: Western WI

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by ryguyMN » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:18 am

In regards to BIG, I believe there would have been more seating on Saturday night had Wayzata's band and cheerleading squad not show up. I'm not saying they shouldn't have been there, I'm just saying they ate up some seating.
Ryan

bardown27
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by bardown27 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:03 am


The51
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:48 am

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by The51 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:38 am

bardown27 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:03 am
Tickets for 6AA Finals

https://www.vancoevents.com/us/events/landing?eid=19786&
Do you know when they plan on making these available
State Champs '81 '89 '92 '93 '94

bardown27
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by bardown27 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:41 am

The51 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:38 am
bardown27 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:03 am
Tickets for 6AA Finals

https://www.vancoevents.com/us/events/landing?eid=19786&
Do you know when they plan on making these available
They were available at 10am but looks like something is up now where it isn't available for purchase.

gitter
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:21 pm

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by gitter » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:43 am

What I heard, and take it with a grain of salt, is that because of Covid, they opted not to hold dual at Mariucci. Further I heard that BIG then jumped on the the contract for 6AA Finals and have secured it for a number of years going forward.

Again, not sure how true this is, but is what I had heard.

bardown27
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by bardown27 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:59 am

bardown27 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:41 am
The51 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:38 am
bardown27 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:03 am
Tickets for 6AA Finals

https://www.vancoevents.com/us/events/landing?eid=19786&
Do you know when they plan on making these available
They were available at 10am but looks like something is up now where it isn't available for purchase.
Looks like ticket link is working again https://www.vancoevents.com/us/events/landing?eid=19786&

StanleyCup55
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:36 am

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by StanleyCup55 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:12 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:22 pm
i’ve maintained the 35W construction both north and south the last 5 years drastically affected Mariucci attendance for both gophers and other events like HS sections . Not the only reason, but part of it .

Now that is done, and there is also lighter rush hour traffic. Things seem to be coming back for Gophers and i think that is at least a part of the equation .

Too late for HS sections though . For all the reasons discussed in this thread
You just may be correct here with 35w. Gophers had over 10,000 in attendance Saturday night. I about fell over when I read that.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 7192
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:01 pm

StanleyCup55 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:12 pm
You just may be correct here with 35w. Gophers had over 10,000 in attendance Saturday night. I about fell over when I read that.
Yep, 10,069 (per the official box score) got to see the Gophers crush the Badgers 8-0. And there were 9,350 on Friday in their 5-0 win.

East Side Pioneer Guy
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:50 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:01 pm
StanleyCup55 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:12 pm
You just may be correct here with 35w. Gophers had over 10,000 in attendance Saturday night. I about fell over when I read that.
Yep, 10,069 (per the official box score) got to see the Gophers crush the Badgers 8-0. And there were 9,350 on Friday in their 5-0 win.
Is that bodies in the house? Or the "tickets sold" number?
No coach, no team
No ref, no game

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 7192
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:31 am

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:50 pm
Is that bodies in the house? Or the "tickets sold" number?
Not sure, just took the numbers off the official box scores.

TheMNhockey1
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by TheMNhockey1 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:38 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:31 am
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:50 pm
Is that bodies in the house? Or the "tickets sold" number?
Not sure, just took the numbers off the official box scores.
Defintely tickets sold. usually about 2k no shows at each home game

Eagles93
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by Eagles93 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:58 pm

And of course BIG and Braemar are already sold out for tomorrow night. :x :x

bardown27
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by bardown27 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:00 pm

Eagles93 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:58 pm
And of course BIG and Braemar are already sold out for tomorrow night. :x :x
Tickets have been on sale for over 24 hours, what’d you expect?

Eagles93
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by Eagles93 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:20 pm

I’m disappointed that they moved the games from Mariucci. They’re leaving a lot of money on the table (not to mention upset fans) with this decision.

East Side Pioneer Guy
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:21 pm

What are the expenses and revenuees at Mariucci?

Public school administratorrs have little professional knowledge of market discipline.
No coach, no team
No ref, no game

ryguyMN
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:08 pm
Location: Western WI

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by ryguyMN » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:12 pm

These games need to be held at a place like Ridder Arena at a minimum.
Ryan

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 7192
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:42 pm

Any stream for this one? I read earlier that it was $9.90 to watch, but can't find the link.

Post Reply