Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ROSEVILLEHOCKEYDAD

Re: Sections 2AA and 6AA Finals

Post by ROSEVILLEHOCKEYDAD » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:44 pm

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:26 pm

ROSEVILLEHOCKEYDAD wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:44 pm
https://www.mnhockey.tv/
Thanks.

The51

Post by The51 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:50 am

ryguyMN wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:12 pm
These games need to be held at a place like Ridder Arena at a minimum.
Ridder would be the perfect medium between BIG/Braemar that are just a tad too small but Mariucci is probly too big. Sadly in 2022 the interest isn't there like it was up until around 2012/13 or at some point around then.

Ridder is also not an olympic sheet. That was always one thing that bothered me about Mariucci having teams play on a rink unlike anything they played on all year.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:58 am

The51 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:50 am
ryguyMN wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:12 pm
These games need to be held at a place like Ridder Arena at a minimum.
Ridder would be the perfect medium between BIG/Braemar that are just a tad too small but Mariucci is probly too big. Sadly in 2022 the interest isn't there like it was up until around 2012/13 or at some point around then.

Ridder is also not an olympic sheet. That was always one thing that bothered me about Mariucci having teams play on a rink unlike anything they played on all year.
I remember when Mariucci was standing room for section finals late 00s/early 2010s. Was quite the spectacle!
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:26 pm

Ridder is not adequate for a metro AA final. I'm not saying it's not better than BIG or Braemar, but that's not saying much. There are no good solutions to this dilemma.

I haven't been to BIG for a while. Was the final last night played on rink 3? And is rink 3 an Olympic sheet?

Is it possible that rent for Mariucci (sometimes called MAR-i-U-cci) was too high? Did the U really want these games all that much? As far as I'm concerned, given it's our university, coupled with the fact that the Golden Rats have benefitted from more than a few MN high school players over the past 80 years or so, they should bend over backwards to accommodate these games.

Lastly, how did these games draw at Mariucci the last few years?
Hockey Is For Everyone

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:47 pm

6AA final was on rink 1 at BIG. That's the Kennedy/Jefferson high school rink, not Olympic. Visually I would think rink 1 holds more than rink 3 but not positive. I think rink 1 has a capacity of about 2300? Similar to Braemar west rink. Which tells us a minimum of ~4500 people bought tickets for these games last night. Probably could've sold way more since they sold out over 24 hours in advance.

We discussed in a previous thread, the 2020 section finals was noticeably down in attendance. I guessed maybe 50% full at peak? I attributed that to a couple things - Blake vs Benilde 6AA final, which is going to have smaller fan sections as two privates. And EP always has an underwhelming fan section. This year we had two public teams (Chaska/PL) looking for their first trip to state ever so that game alone would've probably got at least half of Mariucci full.

I can't imagine Mariucci is that much more expensive than Braemar and BIG. It's cleaning ice and having a support staff at either location. The parking and concessions the two games bring in has to make it attractive for the U to host so maybe it's Sections 2AA and 6AA that made the decision?

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:32 pm

Mariucci (and Ridder) are both way more expensive than Braemar/BIG. Not just ice costs but for these games they are renting out entire facility, so it’s different than a squirt team holding a scrimmage there. MSHSL wouldn’t make its money back if it sold out Ridder, and combo of lower attendance at Mariucci plus virtually only game of year being on Olympic ice are the two reasons. It’s really that simple.
Last edited by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 on Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:42 pm

I think it was 2006 (give or take) when Holy Angels and Hill were seen as one/two, a tier above everyone else. Holy Angels got dumped in the semis by Apple Valley, a huge upset. The AV coach said they knew they couldn't beat AHA on the big sheet at Mariucci, they had to do it in the semis if they got the chance. And so they did.

Then AV lost the section final.
Hockey Is For Everyone