Who wins? Elk River/Zimmerman vs Moorhead - Section 8AA Championship

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Elk River
24%
Moorhead
76%

Total votes: 34

alcloseshaver

Re: Who wins? Elk River/Zimmerman vs Moorhead - Section 8AA Championship

Post by alcloseshaver » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:22 pm

Nice little Club for the Spuds.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:56 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:05 pm
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:56 pm
Oof. Four goals is a lot to give up in a section final.
May the chirping continue in St. Paul. Looks like the Spuds unceremoniously crashed your all metro state event :P
They better batten down the hatches. That wasn't a great effort by the Spuds, 8 goals non-withstanding.

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:15 am

That certainly wasn't the same effort from the Elks goalie that I saw in Roseau on Saturday. Lots of breakaways and odd man rushes both ways for a championship game. I have been thinking this may be Moorhead's year to hoist a banner, but they will have to tighten things up to make that happen.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:52 am

I liked Hill and Moorhead going into the sections and state tournament, but this game had me pumping the breaks on Moorhead a little bit. It was a hard game to watch, felt like I was watching an NHL All-Star game at times.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

Cobber

Post by Cobber » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:47 pm

If the Elk River goalie played like he did in Roseau last Saturday they would have qualified for the state tournament last night.I didn’t know Moorhead’s leading scorer and goalie was from North Dakota is there any truth to that.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:32 pm

Cobber wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:47 pm
If the Elk River goalie played like he did in Roseau last Saturday they would have qualified for the state tournament last night.I didn’t know Moorhead’s leading scorer and goalie was from North Dakota is there any truth to that.
Uh, no, no way they have players from No Dak. You see, it's only the privates that do that. For the publics, the players have "played with each other from mites on up." Usually they've even been on the same line for years. Or so we're told every March.
Hockey Is For Everyone

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:37 am

MWS coach wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:47 am
thefatcat wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:08 am
Stockman could absolutely steal this one for Elk River, he's very good. Rumor has it he is hanging it up after this season to concentrate on baseball as he is a stud pitching prospect with multiple D1 offers already.
Not sure where you get your information, but Division 1 coaches cannot contact athletes before September 1 of their junior year, he is a sophmore. Yes he is a stud baseball player and will likely play D1 Baseball, but can't already have multiple offers and isn't hanging it up after this season.
Koskie's kid at BSM has already committed to play baseball at Indiana and he's only a Sophomore...and according to my Elk River source, Stockman is seriously considering hanging up his skates

Delayedoffsides

Post by Delayedoffsides » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:05 pm

Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:32 pm
Cobber wrote:
Uh, no, no way they have players from No Dak. You see, it's only the privates that do that. For the publics, the players have "played with each other from mites on up." Usually they've even been on the same line for years. Or so we're told every March.
Disclaimer- My kids attend public school. With that said I can't believe the Spuds have two kids from No Dak the nerve.. Let's understand that hockey is really just a business nowadays. Whether any of us like it or not it isn't going back to the olden days where 218 had more than one good AA program (Hermantown).................. wait........ my bad.......... We live in a mostly free country ;), if the kids and families follow all of the MSHSL transfer rules more power to them. They've done nothing wrong except in the eyes of the people who don't want change and to keep everything the way it's been for the last 50+ years. That's not reality

Does recruiting happen?? Yes it does. That's not going to stop either. A big contributor to this is offseason hockey and all the different teams/players these kids play with and become friends with. I'd bet there is a lot of talk amongst the players about moving to certain schools to all play together. Bet that happens more than we think. Kinda like the NBA and all of their star players getting together to form top teams. Not saying I like it but it's the reality and it really is a very small percentage in the grand scheme of things. Sorry about the NBA reference on a hockey forum, probably could've come up with a better example.

Now before all you 218'ers start pounding on your keyboards getting carpal tunnel to reply to a comment about Hermantown being the only good team up north, I was joking, trying to make you smile after Roseau and GR getting beat........... now that I stop and think about it I probably upset you even more, please accept my sincere apology that was my intention.

ESPG- good luck to your squad. Unlike most I like when a private school is in the tournament, usually adds to the rhetoric on the forum!!!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:41 pm

Delayedoffsides wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:05 pm
Cobber wrote:
Disclaimer- My kids attend public school. With that said I can't believe the Spuds have two kids from No Dak the nerve.. Let's understand that hockey is really just a business nowadays. Whether any of us like it or not it isn't going back to the olden days where 218 had more than one good AA program (Hermantown).................. wait........ my bad.......... We live in a mostly free country ;), if the kids and families follow all of the MSHSL transfer rules more power to them. They've done nothing wrong except in the eyes of the people who don't want change and to keep everything the way it's been for the last 50+ years. That's not reality

Does recruiting happen?? Yes it does. That's not going to stop either. A big contributor to this is offseason hockey and all the different teams/players these kids play with and become friends with. I'd bet there is a lot of talk amongst the players about moving to certain schools to all play together. Bet that happens more than we think. Kinda like the NBA and all of their star players getting together to form top teams. Not saying I like it but it's the reality and it really is a very small percentage in the grand scheme of things. Sorry about the NBA reference on a hockey forum, probably could've come up with a better example.

Now before all you 218'ers start pounding on your keyboards getting carpal tunnel to reply to a comment about Hermantown being the only good team up north, I was joking, trying to make you smile after Roseau and GR getting beat........... now that I stop and think about it I probably upset you even more, please accept my sincere apology that was my intention.

ESPG- good luck to your squad. Unlike most I like when a private school is in the tournament, usually adds to the rhetoric on the forum!!!
1235sdag s
5vfbd56v654fds fds d f f

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:30 pm

I don't think anyone said anything bad about Moorhead having a couple of kids from North Dakota. This statement started from a post talking about Roseau and the need to move to Class A to potentially save the program. The reference was that Roseau struggles mightily to beat Moorhead in youth hockey and then they are lucky enough, because of their great program, to get families to move in who have good hockey players. We couldn't beat them before they got the players and now add two or three blue chippers, it makes it almost impossible to compete. I think any program would welcome blue chip players, but why move all the way up north to a struggling AA program when there are better hockey options. Now I will say there are not many places, with great job potential, a great school district and great hospital and clinic in a relatively safe environment to raise your kids than Roseau and if you like to hunt and fish, Roseau is your dream spot!! Plus 3 indoor ice sheets, maybe people should be looking up north! :wink: :D
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!

Delayedoffsides

Post by Delayedoffsides » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:21 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:41 pm
Delayedoffsides wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:05 pm

1235sdag s
5vfbd56v654fds fds d f f
Well Done!!