Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply

Who Will Win?

Grand Rapids
19
79%
Andover
5
21%
 
Total votes: 24

mnmouth
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by mnmouth » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:48 am

Three weeks ago, the Thunderhawks squeaked by the Huskies 2-1. Rapids goaltender Myles Gunderson thwarted a Gavyn Thoreson penalty shot awarded at the end of regulation to secure the home win. Andover played that game without first-line winger Cooper Conway, who tallied 5 points (2 goals, 3 assists) in the Huskies' 10-2 dismantling of Forest Lake in the 7AA semifinals. Let the debate begin!

Sparlimb
Posts: 2264
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by Sparlimb » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:51 am

Should be a heck of a game. It doesn't appear KOZY is doing this game, so it is pay only. With Moorhead v Elk River free and Rogers v Maple Grove now free, I will likely watch those two instead.

raidergrad72
Posts: 382
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by raidergrad72 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:53 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:51 am
Should be a heck of a game. It doesn't appear KOZY is doing this game, so it is pay only. With Moorhead v Elk River free and Rogers v Maple Grove now free, I will likely watch those two instead.
Just called the Rapids station and the game IS on their station J-105. Go to kozyradio.com and you will find the live stream on their station list.
Not broadcasting on their YouTube because of some rule by the MSHSL.
:roll: #-o

headsupsticksdown
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:21 am
Location: Depends where the puck is being dropped...

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by headsupsticksdown » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:17 pm

raidergrad72 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:53 pm
Sparlimb wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:51 am
Should be a heck of a game. It doesn't appear KOZY is doing this game, so it is pay only. With Moorhead v Elk River free and Rogers v Maple Grove now free, I will likely watch those two instead.
Just called the Rapids station and the game IS on their station J-105. Go to kozyradio.com and you will find the live stream on their station list.
Not broadcasting on their YouTube because of some rule by the MSHSL.
:roll: #-o
Thanks for the heads up!!! Go Rapids!! Looks like this one and HTown/Denfeld for me!

East Side Pioneer Guy
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:56 am

raidergrad72 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:53 pm
Sparlimb wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:51 am
Should be a heck of a game. It doesn't appear KOZY is doing this game, so it is pay only. With Moorhead v Elk River free and Rogers v Maple Grove now free, I will likely watch those two instead.
Just called the Rapids station and the game IS on their station J-105. Go to kozyradio.com and you will find the live stream on their station list.
Not broadcasting on their YouTube because of some rule by the MSHSL.
:roll: #-o
But Spud.tv was on You Tube??? Howzat work?
No coach, no team
No ref, no game

The Next One
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by The Next One » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:05 am

I may be mistaken but I believe spuds tv pays a fee to broadcast.

mnmouth
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by mnmouth » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:25 am

Any word on the health/playing status of Blayne Mortenson for the Thunderhawks?

raidergrad72
Posts: 382
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by raidergrad72 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:10 am

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:56 am
raidergrad72 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:53 pm
Sparlimb wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:51 am
Should be a heck of a game. It doesn't appear KOZY is doing this game, so it is pay only. With Moorhead v Elk River free and Rogers v Maple Grove now free, I will likely watch those two instead.
Just called the Rapids station and the game IS on their station J-105. Go to kozyradio.com and you will find the live stream on their station list.
Not broadcasting on their YouTube because of some rule by the MSHSL.
:roll: #-o
But Spud.tv was on You Tube??? Howzat work?
That's what the person at KOZY said. So I have no idea beyond that.

Usthockey13
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by Usthockey13 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:44 am

They must have paid the MSHSL the streaming fee. I don’t know how much it is.

CitiesSpudsGuy
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:55 pm
Location: Spudville

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:09 am

Spuds TV is a non-profit 501(c)(3). Not sure if that makes a difference?
50+ years of Spuds Hockey

ryguyMN
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:08 pm
Location: Western WI

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by ryguyMN » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:07 am

I always thought, at least pre-Covid, that the MSHSL did exclusive agreements with media partners for broadcasting section playoffs, but maybe that changed since Covid.
Ryan

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2678
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:20 pm

Congrats to Andover came in and played one helluva game tonight. =D> =D> =D>

Delayedoffsides
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:30 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by Delayedoffsides » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:22 am

Safe to say section 7AA goes thru Andover now. Time to move the section semi and final out of Amsoil and head south down 35!!!! Great job Huskies!!

East Side Pioneer Guy
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:31 am

Delayedoffsides wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:22 am
Safe to say section 7AA goes thru Andover now. Time to move the section semi and final out of Amsoil and head south down 35!!!! Great job Huskies!!
Uh oh, someone else poking the politically correct 218 bear....
No coach, no team
No ref, no game

Getitright
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:22 am

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by Getitright » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:06 am

Ya. Kinda like the fairness of the woman’s wcha at ridder every year or the regional mens tourney always in St. Paul?

mnmouth
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by mnmouth » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:42 am

Grand Rapids could not have picked a worse time to play their worst game since the Maple Grove debacle 6 weeks ago. They were obviously tighter-than-tight, with countless mishandled pucks, fanned shots and numerous passed pucks that slid across the ice to nowhere. Most of this sloppy play was self-inflicted in open ice and not under duress from Andover players. Kaden Nelson had a rough night on the top line (as did the majority of Rapids' top players) with a wide open failed chance on a loose puck high in the slot in the Andover end with a clear path to the net early in the 1st period, and the 5-minute major he took showed a complete lack of discipline at a bad time. Fortunately, Rapids killed it off, but the club got no momentum from the effort, or even after the 3rd period goal. Very disappointing, overall performance from the THawks and Coach Chiodo's refusal to speak to reporters afterwards leads me to wonder where his head was at.

Contrary to Grand Rapids' poor play, Andover was on top of their game. They showed excellent puck movement, good speed and sound structure. A very disciplined attack all game. That they did not win the game by a goal or two more was more due to solid goaltending by Myles Gunderson than a breakdown in the Huskies' game. Plus, the shorthanded goal was brilliantly executed from out of their own end and expertly finished by Cogswell. Even when Rapids mounted a push in the 3rd period, Andover seemed content with how they were playing defensively to just ice the puck. They gave the Thunderhawks no room to skate or pass while on defense even though the puck was in their end nearly the entire period. No doubt they were the better team last night.

I'm not sure that Section 7AA will go through Andover for the foreseeable future, but it certainly looks like there is no northern team in the Section that will seriously challenge them for supremacy at least next year. Maybe those who are tired of the Semis/Final being held at Amsoil will get their wish when next season Andover and Blaine (or another southern, Section team on the rise) play for the championship and get the OK to play the game in the Cities, rather than be forced to drive up I-35.

Delayedoffsides
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:30 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by Delayedoffsides » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:19 pm

mnmouth wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:42 am
Grand Rapids could not have picked a worse time to play their worst game since the Maple Grove debacle 6 weeks ago. They were obviously tighter-than-tight, with countless mishandled pucks, fanned shots and numerous passed pucks that slid across the ice to nowhere. Most of this sloppy play was self-inflicted in open ice and not under duress from Andover players. Kaden Nelson had a rough night on the top line (as did the majority of Rapids' top players) with a wide open failed chance on a loose puck high in the slot in the Andover end with a clear path to the net early in the 1st period, and the 5-minute major he took showed a complete lack of discipline at a bad time. Fortunately, Rapids killed it off, but the club got no momentum from the effort, or even after the 3rd period goal. Very disappointing, overall performance from the THawks and Coach Chiodo's refusal to speak to reporters afterwards leads me to wonder where his head was at.

Contrary to Grand Rapids' poor play, Andover was on top of their game. They showed excellent puck movement, good speed and sound structure. A very disciplined attack all game. That they did not win the game by a goal or two more was more due to solid goaltending by Myles Gunderson than a breakdown in the Huskies' game. Plus, the shorthanded goal was brilliantly executed from out of their own end and expertly finished by Cogswell. Even when Rapids mounted a push in the 3rd period, Andover seemed content with how they were playing defensively to just ice the puck. They gave the Thunderhawks no room to skate or pass while on defense even though the puck was in their end nearly the entire period. No doubt they were the better team last night.

I'm not sure that Section 7AA will go through Andover for the foreseeable future, but it certainly looks like there is no northern team in the Section that will seriously challenge them for supremacy at least next year. Maybe those who are tired of the Semis/Final being held at Amsoil will get their wish when next season Andover and Blaine (or another southern, Section team on the rise) play for the championship and get the OK to play the game in the Cities, rather than be forced to drive up I-35.
Very good analogy of the game MN. Andover was the better team last night. Losing to GR by a goal in a game that they were out played in back in early Feb worked out well for them in the long run. It look like GR was all the things you mention in your post and I would add they took Andover lightly and didn't expect Andover's willingness to play more physical. These things happen all the time in HS hockey. Teams play earlier in the year, team that loses plays one of their worst games of the season. Everyone thinks the team that won is so much better than the losing team.Rematch happens and the roles are reversed, bad team good, good team not so good. That's why we play the games.

Side note, I could care less where the games are played. Just poking fun!!

norcon
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:28 am

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by norcon » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:56 pm

mnmouth wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:42 am
Grand Rapids could not have picked a worse time to play their worst game since the Maple Grove debacle 6 weeks ago. They were obviously tighter-than-tight, with countless mishandled pucks, fanned shots and numerous passed pucks that slid across the ice to nowhere. Most of this sloppy play was self-inflicted in open ice and not under duress from Andover players. Kaden Nelson had a rough night on the top line (as did the majority of Rapids' top players) with a wide open failed chance on a loose puck high in the slot in the Andover end with a clear path to the net early in the 1st period, and the 5-minute major he took showed a complete lack of discipline at a bad time. Fortunately, Rapids killed it off, but the club got no momentum from the effort, or even after the 3rd period goal. Very disappointing, overall performance from the THawks and Coach Chiodo's refusal to speak to reporters afterwards leads me to wonder where his head was at.

Contrary to Grand Rapids' poor play, Andover was on top of their game. They showed excellent puck movement, good speed and sound structure. A very disciplined attack all game. That they did not win the game by a goal or two more was more due to solid goaltending by Myles Gunderson than a breakdown in the Huskies' game. Plus, the shorthanded goal was brilliantly executed from out of their own end and expertly finished by Cogswell. Even when Rapids mounted a push in the 3rd period, Andover seemed content with how they were playing defensively to just ice the puck. They gave the Thunderhawks no room to skate or pass while on defense even though the puck was in their end nearly the entire period. No doubt they were the better team last night.

I'm not sure that Section 7AA will go through Andover for the foreseeable future, but it certainly looks like there is no northern team in the Section that will seriously challenge them for supremacy at least next year. Maybe those who are tired of the Semis/Final being held at Amsoil will get their wish when next season Andover and Blaine (or another southern, Section team on the rise) play for the championship and get the OK to play the game in the Cities, rather than be forced to drive up I-35.
Spot on summary. First period was the worst hockey I’ve seen from a Rapids team since 2018. Next years team will be competitive, but I don’t think they will challenge for another 7AA title for some years to come. Speaking of the coach, it would be nice to see he and his staff maybe dress up a little better for a big game. The faded jeans with sneakers looked like high school kids running the bench. The manager had a coat and tie on for gods sake…just saying.

mnmouth
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by mnmouth » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:41 pm

Delayedoffsides wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:19 pm
mnmouth wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:42 am
Grand Rapids could not have picked a worse time to play their worst game since the Maple Grove debacle 6 weeks ago. They were obviously tighter-than-tight, with countless mishandled pucks, fanned shots and numerous passed pucks that slid across the ice to nowhere. Most of this sloppy play was self-inflicted in open ice and not under duress from Andover players. Kaden Nelson had a rough night on the top line (as did the majority of Rapids' top players) with a wide open failed chance on a loose puck high in the slot in the Andover end with a clear path to the net early in the 1st period, and the 5-minute major he took showed a complete lack of discipline at a bad time. Fortunately, Rapids killed it off, but the club got no momentum from the effort, or even after the 3rd period goal. Very disappointing, overall performance from the THawks and Coach Chiodo's refusal to speak to reporters afterwards leads me to wonder where his head was at.

Contrary to Grand Rapids' poor play, Andover was on top of their game. They showed excellent puck movement, good speed and sound structure. A very disciplined attack all game. That they did not win the game by a goal or two more was more due to solid goaltending by Myles Gunderson than a breakdown in the Huskies' game. Plus, the shorthanded goal was brilliantly executed from out of their own end and expertly finished by Cogswell. Even when Rapids mounted a push in the 3rd period, Andover seemed content with how they were playing defensively to just ice the puck. They gave the Thunderhawks no room to skate or pass while on defense even though the puck was in their end nearly the entire period. No doubt they were the better team last night.

I'm not sure that Section 7AA will go through Andover for the foreseeable future, but it certainly looks like there is no northern team in the Section that will seriously challenge them for supremacy at least next year. Maybe those who are tired of the Semis/Final being held at Amsoil will get their wish when next season Andover and Blaine (or another southern, Section team on the rise) play for the championship and get the OK to play the game in the Cities, rather than be forced to drive up I-35.
Very good analogy of the game MN. Andover was the better team last night. Losing to GR by a goal in a game that they were out played in back in early Feb worked out well for them in the long run. It look like GR was all the things you mention in your post and I would add they took Andover lightly and didn't expect Andover's willingness to play more physical. These things happen all the time in HS hockey. Teams play earlier in the year, team that loses plays one of their worst games of the season. Everyone thinks the team that won is so much better than the losing team.Rematch happens and the roles are reversed, bad team good, good team not so good. That's why we play the games.

Side note, I could care less where the games are played. Just poking fun!!
Excellent point. Amazing how often this happens.

north_bear
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 pm
Location: G.R.

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by north_bear » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:52 pm

Like others have said: disappointing game for Rapids. Andover just overwhelmed them from the start and they seemed to get caught up in the moment. Just a lot of uncharacteristic play from a team that has been very good the last 2-3 weeks. It seemed they were really finding their stride and ready to make a playoff push.

I'm not sure what the future holds but this is the 3rd year in a row of an underwhelming playoff exit. Tough for the seniors. Wish them the best of luck with their future endeavors. And good luck to Andover representing 7AA.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Delayedoffsides
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:30 pm

Re: Grand Rapids vs Andover - Section 7AA Final

Post by Delayedoffsides » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:17 pm

Here's Andover's future

Bantam AA team 2-0 in Regions 1 win away from state
PW AA team 2-0 in Regions one win away from state
Squirt A team won the D10 regular season title and #1seed in D10 tournament.

Lots of talent in the pipeline.

Post Reply